Arena Questions

Does anyone know when the Arena is actually going to be started. The only thing that has gone on schedule with the whole project is the sign telling where the new arena will be. I was wondering if anyone knows when that sign will be valid. Also, is there a name for the building yet and if anyone knows what companies have been contacted. Also, Coach and Ian are the bestest friends ever. I have seen them holding hands several times around campus and sharing some ice cream.

Final design work tweaking is being completed right now. A construction firm was picked last month - the orginal company selected had to rebid since the design changed so dramatically and they were not selected. Fundraising continues to meet the overall new goals set when the redesign was approved this past winter. Companies/individuals continue to be talked with regarding the naming rights and other alternatives that might accomplish the same financial goals. Look for an announcement about actual construction in August or Sept. Things have moved slower than expected but factors have caused this that were not anticipated or at least given full consideration. 1. The legal obstructionist actions by local property owners against the Grand Center TIF had to pass court muster and finally did last year. 2. The original location had to be moved due to a few property owners who would have had to sell to make it happen decided they were not interested - their choice - but something that should have been anticipated by someone. 3. Having to wait for the purchase of the old public elementary school which needed to go through the standard reviews and bidding process by the St. Louis Public Schools - SLU got the property but then had to wait for the Board to finalize since there was a small outcry about the sale of the building for supposed historic and financial reasons - all nonsense that eventually went away. 4. Woolard's inability to raise funds - should have been seen since he was woeful in this area previously at SLU. 5. The move to the A10 with the blow up of CUSA slowed things down. 6. The underground river at the new site created another monkey wrench which required engineering changes. 7. The lack of a practice and office facilites not being included - thank goodness that CL was able to prevail and get this mess fixed. 8. The increase of construction costs due to the delay which required along with # 7 another significant design change - basically a brand new design. 9. Approval by the Board of the new design and changes along with a new fund raising plan that added an additional $5 million to the campaign. 10. Woolard leaving gracefully - see #4 - if he had been ousted or had his powers diminshed significantly then it would have had even more negative impact on the project - thank you SF Bulls.

-this info is over a month old now, but this is what I have....

-look for a ground breaking ceremony late Aug (yes, it will be 105 degrees and 85% humidity but I'll be there)

-probability that naming rights will be personal, ie, named after a person or in memory of a person and not a company...which I was told is more an indication that companies that have bought naming rights are not seeing the return on their investment (this leads me to ask does anyone know the last time they saw a corporate naming rights deal announced?)

-I was given the impression there is money of some size that will arrive after ground is broken as these are the "wait until I see dirt fly before I give" group - i can see their point to a degree, just hope they deliver after Larry turns the shovel

Do any professional athletes contribute to their alma mater's athletic departments? I can't think of any cases. It seems more common and likely that athletes from non-money sports come back to contribute time, money, and efforts. I don't know of any MLB, NBA, or NFL players who donate significant funds to their colleges.

>Well, there's Michael Vick, but rumor has it that was to

>keep his brother in school after one of his many

>"incidents."

considering the amount of money Vick gave I doubt that was the case.

Steve Smith gave over $2 million to Michigan State to build an academic center for student-athletes.