Miklasz on Ian

jp18

We have to speed up our game like it or not. We can't be content with scoring in the 30,40 or 50's. However, you may have misunderstood my point a little bit. I am not calling for full court traps or 40 minutes of hell either. There are other ways to speed the game up that could include Ian. You could include him as a trailer on the fast break and then give him a back screen to post him up on the block. I feel every half court possession should go through Ian without exception. No one should shoot the ball (unlees there is a lay up) until Ian touches the ball at least once. Ian is such a great passer out of the post that open shots would be readily available. If the first pass is out of the post is KL then he should shoot the ball everytime. And if we throw the ball into the post and the opponant elects not to double down let Ian go one on one all night long. Most of the teams towards the end of the year were doubling Ian and SLU would not even try to get the ball in to him. This has to change and when it does it will speed up the game.

Very true. Thanks for the clarification. Sorry I jumped down your throat. I agree that we need to focus on the offensive end of the floor more than we have in the past. I REALLY like Soderberg's defensive philsophy and agree that it should be the focus of our team in order to win. With some of our new young talent I think we will be more successful on the offensive end and it will open up some more options for the coaches. Hopefully they can use their creativity to exploit some matchups. I hope Ian is around for one more year to watch Liddell, Lisch and Ian play together.

One problem with speeding up the game is it will eliminate about half of our offensive options. If you advocate we pull the trigger at the 15 - 20 second point in more possessions, then we will be seeing Ian take double the amount of shots when he handles the ball. The other side of the coin will involve a guard shooting a contested three/long two off the pass back from Ian.

I wouuld like to see an actual power forward pulling down boards, allowing Tommie and/or Kevin to leak out or release, so we could get another 5/10 easy points off running a consistent break in 70% of the games. This would be a great additional weapon in our arsenal, and speed up our ability to open and maintain leads.

Speeding up the game for style points is not effective - the change has to result in bettering our chance to win. A leak break that frees Tommie in transition would emphasize our best finisher's open court abilities more often. If we still having Tommie skying for multiple defensive rebounds, and roaming the paint on every defensive possession, then we will be "plodding" for another year.

Would agree with Sheltie, the PF is they key to scoring more points. TL was our second leading rebounder last year, that means we're missing his potential on the other end. Add DP into the mix with his down court speed and handles, we could put a lot more pressure on teams and get out of this 50 pts a game rut. Look what happened in Charlotte last year when we played twin towers...we scored +70 on the road and won. Hello...is anyone listening?

I agree that would be a good source, but still TK hasn't established the credibility that OJ has. If what you are saying is true ... then we have a guy saying he talked to Ian's best friend, we still don't know that to be true. You haven't been posting here long ... believe me when I say we get a lot of people claiming to be in the know, but ending up being in the NO. So understand when we take a newcomers word with a grain of salt until he establishes some credibility ... by being right a few times.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

Agreed, I see where you are coming from Skip. I have never claimed to be in the know, I know who TKBilliken is and we were recently at a local drinking establishment and we talked Billiken basketball. He let me in on the things he had heard and told me who his source on these things was. I know his source, but I avoid posting the things that I hear from him on the board.

well i guess you and tk will likely now question your "source" when he/she talks in the future.

Not true at all, as I said before TK never heard that Ian was going to remain in the draft, he went out a limb with that after hearing some things. It was obvious to TK that Ian was more serious about making the jump than anyone had thought, so he thought he would go out a limb seeing as there was a good chance and if he was right he could laugh at all of you. The source is excellent and as I said I would not post the things that I hear from him because most of what he knows is inside information that fans should not be aware of.

Lesson learned. Let's move on.

I, for one, believe that you and TK have some contacts close to the program. Most people who are diliberately trying to stir things up post once or twice and leave. You guys seem very concerned with credibility, so I'll take that for what it's worth. If you hear other things, I encourage you to post them. I would just phrase it differently. i.e. "I heard this and that from my source in the AD. Not sure what's gonna happen, just passing along the info". Instead of "Ian hates Brad. He won't return. I garuntee it".

fromgreece, ok, now i see you are saying that "the source" gave tk some info, and tk took it upon himself to decide that info equated to ian not coming back. wow!

to make the guarantees and strong posts that tk made from that was really reckless.