Miklasz on Ian

jp18

Did anyone hear Bernie Miklasz this morning? He was talking about how he thought Ian probably wasn't coming back. He said even if he isn't drafted, he could pursue options in Greece. He is getting some pressure from his dad to play in Europe. And Ian wants to play on the Greek Olympic team in a few years and would need to play professionally in Greece to likely get that chance. Bernie said he didn't expect Ian to return this season. I didn't like what I heard - that is all I know.

The kid from Nevada pulled his name out of the running...why isn't IV? This could be a case of where there's smoke there's fire. If UB ticked him off so much, he's lost the best big in the A10 and one of the best in the country....he's got to be held accountable.

If he leaves ... why must it be because UB ticked him off. Maybe he read this board and decided we have too many negative fans and split, despite his outstanding relationship with UB

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

"If UB ticked him off so much, he's lost the best big in the A10 and one of the best in the country....he's got to be held accountable."

Who's to say that if it happened that the fault should be put on UB. Maybe UB made him mad and maybe UB was justified and IV was at fault....then again maybe absolutely none of it is true.

My bet from my source says he's bakc next year.

I can buy him going home to Greece for the $$ and to prepare for the Olympics. If he's good enough in the Grecian leagues, he'll still get a shot at the NBA. No bad against UB, but if it turns out the "alleged" tirade against IV for the ST. Joes game is his reason, than who else is responsible? UB can't lay an entire game on IV or even split it between him and AD. A good coach has to have his finger on what kind of criticism his players can take or not take. See Matt Daugherty at UNC. Not saying IV deserves special attention but if UB took the wrong approach....he probably cost us our best shot at the dance in the last five years. If IV reads the board, he won't find fans negative about him, we're all crying for the guy to return .But bet on this, if he decides to go home, there will be no shortage of guys blaming UB for his loss. If Brehms still reads the board...she might shed some light on UB's relationship with the players and how they feel about him.

I agree with you completely, you have to know how to manage your players and part of that is knowing how to motivate certain guys. I'm not saying that you should treat your european players like a bunch of girls, but you have to know where to draw the line. I remember watching a Jim Calhoun practice on ESPN and he commented on how he isn't going to get on his star player the same way as he would a walk-on. Its not the coach's responsibility to be a guys best-friend, but he has to know how to affectively get the most out of every player on his team and its not the same for all players.

I fail to see your point. I never once said that you can't be hard on guys, you just have to know where to draw the line. If a guy is playing uninspired basketball, like Gay did for the majority of the season, than you have to send him a message. I think showing tough-love is a good thing, but it sounds like there is no love between Soderberg and Ian and that may cost us any success we had to look forward to this upcoming season.

All Hail TKBilliken.

Dude, I'm not sure what you're expecting here, but you should really get off this topic. It appears you are now hoping for Ian to be gone so that you can prove the board wrong. And I'm curious as to what you think will happen if Ian does, in fact, leave. Should we all chip in and give you a prize? Seriously...it appears you think you deserve one.

The fact of the matter is, you really have NO idea. Sure, you may have sources that are close to Ian. But Ian hasn't made up his mind yet...if he had, an agent would have been hired. Maybe Ian comes back. Does that mean your so-called sources were BS? Not necessarily. Maybe they have great information, but after weighing the pros and cons, he decides to come back. Maybe he decides to leave for other reasons, and he and Brad had a blast in Orlando.

You declared Ian being gone as a FACT. But it's not a fact yet...anything can happen. Unfortunately for you, even if Ian does leave, i don't think you'll all of a sudden be recognized as a great insider. It appears you're posting here is for some sort of percieved billikens.com glory you will recieve and not for any love of the Billikens themselves. I really hope you're wrong. But if you're not, I don't see Roy, Rich, Skip and the rest of us crowning you the King of all things Billiken, which it appears you so desparately want...

says who? TK hasn't told us where he is hearing it from.

Pdiddy has established a reputation for being right, over and over again. He has earned his credibility. TK has not.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

I have no knowledge of what ian is going to do. on matters like that, I would defer to tk or anyone else with the inside track. (although i can easily find out) just like anything regarding tommie, i always listened to jalensdad or TDell. you would be a fool not to. if there was anything about kevin when he was in high school, billiken roy was the man at the point. as for matters with vashon, i would like to rely on V-time, but he is a little slow on the trigger sometimes regarding vashon information. I'm always watching out to see what my partners have to say when they are in the know.

bad boyz for life

I must also add orange julius to that aforementioned list. He seems to have the 411 on any news regarding scott suggs, john brandenburg, and the st. louis eagles for that matter. as i said before, everyone has their own little niche. my niche just happens to be the streets.

bad boyz for life

I do not want to appear a supporter of TK, have no idea who is sources are or if he's legit. In fact, would agree with the assessment he wants to establish himself as an insider more than seeing the Bills do something next year.....which is crap and childishly egotistical....read...ha...ha...ha...I told you so. But if IV leaves, it would be nice to know the real reason, whether or not we get it, well, that's a different story.

I don't know who TK is but he/she doesn't seem too bright to me. The support from "From Greece with Love" furthers that point.

My sources, also close to IV, say that he has not intention of not returning to SLU. He will go to Greece to visit after the draft camps but plans to come back. Brad allegedly getting on his case after the SJU game is a non-issue. I have no other information beyond that and it is about 1 month old.

Thanks for calling out my intelligence A_Bomb. Knowing TK and his source, I just find it amusing that none of you give him any credit. You can choose whether or not believe him, but I don't see why you call out my intelligence for defending him when I know he is coming to us with credible information basically from the source himself.

I guess I just don't understand why it has to be all about Ian hating Soderberg? Let's look at it from Ian's perspective...his stock has never been higher, Greece is where his family is, and if he stays he probably isn't going to play himself into a lottery pick. The reality is that he is a very very good college player (and a great guy, I might add), however he has slow feet and needs to get MUCH stronger. I watched the coaching staff yell at Ian from his first days on campus, so I have a hard time buying the fact that it is ALL on Soderberg's shoulders if he leaves.

Ian is not leaving, nor does he have any problems with Coach Soderberg. Furthermore each year he has stayed in college the contract offers in Greece have gone up. He is receiving no pressure from his family to stay home and SLU is not interested in Alex, according to Alex that is. So just let it go, Ian will be back and he will be better. I have no clue where Bernie got his information but, for once, he couldn't be farther from the truth.

I actually see both sides of this issue.

First Ian has to be more acceptable of critism when you are one of the best players on the team. In addition, if he wants to play in the NBA a tougue lashing may be coming on a nitely basis. Ian better understand that and get used to it. If Ian has ill feelings towards BS for his comments after the St. Joe game he should understand his place on the team and get mentally tougher.

Secondly, I also understand the reluctance of IAN to come back to SLU. If his ultimate goal is to play in the NBA who do you think will provide the better skill developement, the Greek National team or a college team that plays slow down basketball in the 30's, 40's and 50's. With the influx of European players in the last several years this answer appears obvious. While some are ok with these low scoring numbers it is very hard for Ian (or anyone for that matter)to look good when we score like we did in the St. Joe's game.

However with those two points being stated the only responsibility BS has in this issue is changing the style of play not the treatment of one of his best players.

slubaseball42, I agree with you that if Ian does decide to remain in the draft that it cannot be put solely on his poor relationship with Coach Soderberg. There are a lot of factors that go into making this kind of career decision. Ian may have a chance to be drafted in the 2nd round by the Raptors or someother team or pursue a lucrative offer in Greece, these would all be reasons for him to become a professional basketball player. However, I do not think you can dismiss or overlook this apparent dislike Ian has for Soderberg. If Ian does not care for the coaches, the system he runs, or the university in general, he would be more likely to pursue other options. If he feels like Soderberg dogged him, he may be basically extending his middle finger to coach by turning pro.

Change the style of play? How do you think Ian would do running up and down and pressing full court? 40 minutes of hell with Ian and Husak? I don't think that sounds like a recipe for success. I don't think Drejaj and Luke Meyer are going to be able to keep up with a high octane offensive scheme. We need to realize the types of players we have. Granted, Liddell and some of the recent recruits are more athletic and could play more up tempo, but I don't expect to see a whole lot of full court traps next year, so lets all just accept that!

You don't agree with him. OJ said he has no problem with UB ... therefore according to OJ, not only can it not be based soley on his poor relationship with Brad ... it can't be based on it at all, because it doesn't exist.

I'll take OJ's word, as he has a track record and TK has no track record.

Let me ask you a fairly obvious question. You know 2 people. One gives you information frequently that is usually right. Another has never given you information before, but gives you the opposite of what the other guy gives you ... who do you believe. The guy with a proven track record, or the new comer with no basis for what he is saying.

What is the apparent dislike for Coach ... both you and TK keep saying it, but you back it up with zilch, zero, nada, nothing.

OJ ... who does an inside track to Ian says there is no bad blood. None .... why would we believe you or TK