Tyus says his top 2 schools are..................

VTIME

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont' know why we can't recruit as well as Memphis? I don't want to hear the academic excuse either. If his guys have the grades to get in there, they can get in here. Now staying in might be a problem, but still we should be on equal footing with Memphis.

slu72:

That is ridiculous. Look at the size of the universities. Look at the type of player they are recruiting compared to what Soderberg is trying to bring in. Have you EVER seen an athlete like Rodney Carney is a Billiken uniform? Well Memphis has like five of them still on their roster. Do we have alumni like Anfernee Hardaway? They are on a different level.

Memphis is on a different level, not necessarily a better one. Calipari Is a top flight somewhat dirty recruiter. He'll will hire parents/coaches/friends in order to get players. Memphis has been dancing a fair amount more than we have and has a heck of alot more players in the NBA than we do. Sadly Cal isn't the greatest floor coach in the world and the Tigers always seem to underacheive.

In short, I'm glad we don't have coach Cal here and glad to see him choke nearly every march.....

His guys rarely stay around 4 years, usually not even 3 so it's hard for him to make any serious tourney runs with such young teams, although Florida and Syracuse have shown that you win with multiple freshman and sophomores in starting lineup. I think if Sean Banks would've still been at Memphis instead of ineligble they could've had something truly special. In 2002 he lost 3 guys to the NBA. Qyntel Woods, Dejuan Wagner, and Amare Stoudemire. All Amare did straight out of high school was become the first high schooler to win Rookie of the Year, average 20 ppg in year 2, averaged 26ppg and make an all-star appearance in year 3. Ah, what could've been. Duke had a few guys with remaining eligiblity playing very well in the NBA also, in Deng, Livingston, and Randolph.

Well put Billikens Rich. I would rather have a good, family man like Soderberg than a dirty recruiter like Calipari. I can remember talking to some of the men's basketball coaches about recruiting violations and I asked them, "Really, everyone does it, don't they?" Their response was, "Everyone except us. Brad made it clear that if we even try to break rules he will fire us on the spot." This is called integrity and class! Exactly what SLU stands for. Let Memphis keep us their spotty reputation!

>Well put Billikens Rich. I would rather have a good, family

>man like Soderberg than a dirty recruiter like Calipari. I

>can remember talking to some of the men's basketball coaches

>about recruiting violations and I asked them, "Really,

>everyone does it, don't they?" Their response was,

>"Everyone except us. Brad made it clear that if we even try

>to break rules he will fire us on the spot." This is called

>integrity and class! Exactly what SLU stands for. Let

>Memphis keep us their spotty reputation!

He's got a reputation for winning and winning cures all. Getting violations doesn't make the coach any less desirable to other schools. A school that is desperate to win, will hire a Calipari in a second. College basketball is a business, the sooner you guys realize that the better. The rich stay rich by stepping on others and cutting whoever's throat they have to, to get where they wanna be and stay there. The schools only get caught doing stuff when a disgruntled player rats them out. There was actually a thread on this board about Indiana firing Sampson because of violations at Oklahoma. THEY DONT CARE. They are a proud program that has struggled the last couple of years and wanted a guy who could get results. Stemler didnt care about the violations either.

the sooner you realize that slu will never stoop to that scum level the sooner you can move on to other fan opportunites.

personally, i would take a lifetime of 15-15 records or even worse and a clean slate over all the sweet 16 runs in the world and be a mi$$ouri, or a memphis or a sampson run program.

to hear you insinuate that you want us to cheat or at least walk in the gray area is extremely disappointing and speaks volumes about your own character imo.

Thankfully SLU will never be a "win at any cost" program. IF, and I'll stress the IF, Tyus and Stemler are drawn to the outlaw type programs, we don't want or need them. You can win withi the rules without being Duke. It's harder and it takes longer.......

>>Well put Billikens Rich. I would rather have a good, family

>>man like Soderberg than a dirty recruiter like Calipari. >

>He's got a reputation for winning and winning cures all.

>Getting violations doesn't make the coach any less desirable

>to other schools. A school that is desperate to win, will

>hire a Calipari in a second.

Just curious, what NCAA violations have Cal been nailed for? The Camby situation was out of Cal's hands and can happen at any school, even the cleanest and most vigilent in terms of rules enforcement (ask USC football these days). Hiring Milt Wagner to get his son was sketchy, but it wasn't dirty, illegal or unprecedented. At least he had legit credentials, being a former NBA player and college All-American (unlike Danny Manning's dad). There was a NY NewsDay or Post article posted here months ago detailing how Cal got an undeserved rep.

Perhaps Tyus is looking at for program that will be in the Tourney every year he's there, plays in a fantastic facility, plays an exciting, up-tempo style of ball that fits his game and prepares guys to go to the NBA and that's why he is down to Florida and Memphis.

Besides, this "we've got a good family man so we'll never be a power" line is another SLU excuse. Crean isn't a good family man who runs a clean program and wins? Izzo? Few? Romar? Matta? Howland? Tubby? Lute? Rick Barnes? Coach K? None of those guys are good family men and are all dirty? You can follow the rules, be a good family man and recruit stars, win conference titles and make the Big Dance (except at Billikens.com, here if you recruit 4 star players and win you're a snake oil salesman and dirty).

"to hear you insinuate that you want us to cheat or at least walk in the gray area is extremely disappointing and speaks volumes about your own character imo."

Does the fact that you support a president and an administration that "at least walk(s) in the gray area" speak volumes about your character?

marquettelaw, your post confuses the subject of the thread, mainly scum calipari.

before you knight scum, maybe camby did his own gift dealing, but it doesnt take a genius coach to question where the hell did camby get all that stuff? same with his tenure at memphis. the fact he tried to defend his "kids" at memphis when they filed the police report of stolen items that looked like zsa zsa's closet and donald trump's game room, should have again brought up the question "where the hell did they get all that stuff?"

next you got fathers and best friends getting jobs and scholarships that shouldnt.

how about academic fraud. chris massie was earning nearly 30 hours credits to get eligible before any of us even knew ricky clemons name.

come on. i can understand you defending your old buddies izzo and crean, but we arent talking about them are we. we are talking about scum calipari.

is i dont agree with your assessment of president bush. if i believed that the president was doing something wrong i would not support that action and likely not support the administration that you hate and i dont.

on the other hand, vtime believes that walking in the gray area of college basketball recruiting and running a program is not only ok it is necessary and encouraged and wants our program to compete at a higher level by joining in the debauchery and cheating as well.

now if vtime was like marquette law and was defending calipari and granting him sainthood and saying he does nothing wrong, then to ask the billikens to be like cal would be different. like what you believe i am saying about president bush, it would be wrong, but then i wouldnt personally hold the want to be like cal against him. however that wasnt the case. vtime used the "everyone does it that is great so we should too."

that is the character difference.

It's funny Roy. The Libs say "Bush" and expect everyone to agree that he's the second coming of Hitler. Gore says "global warming" and they expect everyone to step into the fridge to prevent spontaneous combustion.......

C'mon Moytoy we had about half a day without anyone raining on the parade. Maybe we should check our politics at the portal????

You don't believe that the bush administration has walked into, on or around gray areas?

What i read is that you believe the character difference is because you support an adminstration that, in your eyes, has not been shady, while vtime supports shady behavior and, in your eyes, encourages it (on the college basketball level).

Also, please point out where i have said or implied or otherwise caused you to believe that i hate the bush administration? It is not a necessary conclusion that i hate the bush adminstration (BA) because i question others' support of the BA or that i am critical of the BA.

I appreciate the response. While i can see the difference you are pointing out, i have a hard time swallowing the fact that you believe the BA has not meddled in gray areas. Agree to disagree i suppose.

>marquettelaw, your post confuses the subject of the thread,

>mainly scum calipari.

>

>before you knight scum, maybe camby did his own gift

>dealing, but it doesnt take a genius coach to question where

>the hell did camby get all that stuff? same with his

>tenure at memphis. the fact he tried to defend his "kids"

>at memphis when they filed the police report of stolen items

>that looked like zsa zsa's closet and donald trump's game

>room, should have again brought up the question "where the

>hell did they get all that stuff?"

-just the facts, Roy. A coach cannot be a babysitter 24/7 and know everything that is going on. The NCAA investigated Cal in the Camby incident and he was cleared. Take the Reggie Bush situation. I know the folks involved there and they did everything to make sure nothing illegal was going on and guess what, they were blindsided by the allegations. What if Camby doesn't let that stuff be seen by Cal and the coaches? As for the furs, you do know the police investigation confirmed that stuff was a player's girlfriend, right? Right here, Roy: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/col/stor...2p-217812c.html

>

>next you got fathers and best friends getting jobs and

>scholarships that shouldnt.

Like I said, sketchy but not illegal nor unprecedented. Milt Wagner was definitely more qualified than Ed Manning. Barclay was a D-1 prospect anyway and contributed for his 4 years and graduated.

>

>how about academic fraud. chris massie was earning nearly

>30 hours credits to get eligible before any of us even knew

>ricky clemons name.

>

What did the NCAA investigation find? Plus, Massie had to sit out until the winter semester before he could play.

>come on. i can understand you defending your old buddies

>izzo and crean, but we arent talking about them are we. we

>are talking about scum calipari.

Is Cal a saint? No. I think he is slick and wouldn't want him at SLU but at the same time, I don't think he has done anything to deserve being called "scum." There are many more coaches who have actually broken rules who are far worse than Cal (i.e. Sampson, Haskins, Bozeman, Steve Fisher and Quin).

The NCAA rules are such a labrinth that I'd be shocked if Brad and Company haven't run afoul of some. I'd venture to say though that Brad hasn't broken the rules by design or in an effort to push the envelope till it's shredded. There are shades of gray and I'd put brad on the distinctly pasty white end of the spectrum.

Rich, i think you would be very surprised on my global warming thoughts. Also, i think i would get much liberal support with a lot of my views.

However, i think that if Roy is going to bring up people's character, then he should answer a question with regard to his own.

A half a day? We made it that long??