Class of 2007

I am not saying this is someone we should or should not recruit, I just wanted to get some thoughts. Jeffrey Jordan, son of Michael Jordan, is a solid player in the class of 2007 and plays his highschool ball at Loyola Academy in the Chicago area. I had a chance to see him play at the Nike HoopJamboree two summers ago and he was a nice player, showed good fundamentals and ran the point nicely. Would this be a kid you would pursue? The exposure he would bring to the program would be unbelievable and I am sure the players would get hooked up nicely.

Do you think he'll go to UNC, or will he want to get out of dad's shadow?

If he wants to do something different, I'd say yes- I've seen him play, and he'd be a great guy to have. He's a very smart, complete player for his age. And you're right, I'm sure SLU players would like to be wearing Jordan gear.

He could- he was his team's leading scorer at the Nike Hoops Jamboree at the Simon Rec Center. Even though that was two summers ago, there was some pretty sick talent on the floor, and of course his dad was in the audience.

Yeah, PH, I remember that...the Air to the Throne was pretty spectacular...I would love to see SLU in some Nike Elite gear, maybe have a selection or two in my monthy Eastbay catalogue....funny how Marquette got all snazzed up with Nike gear when Wade led them to the Final Four, and now DWade is with Chuck Taylor, Inc.

Good move.

It would be nice to see Jeffrey Jordan in SLU Blue. Now we're playing Loyola Chicago, so let's get him before the Ramblers do.

Even if Jordan was considered a "SLU caliber" talent some upper level BCS team will take a chance on him because of his name and associated publicity and the financial resources he could provide through his dads money and someday his money when his dad passes on.

I would love to see SLU in some Nike Elite

>gear, maybe have a selection or two in my monthy Eastbay

>catalogue....funny how Marquette got all snazzed up with

>Nike gear when Wade led them to the Final Four, and now

>DWade is with Chuck Taylor, Inc.

>

1 - Marquette was already a Nike school (entire department) well before that. If you make the Final Four you move into "Nike Elite" status - part of the contract.

2 - Converse is now owned by Nike.

>Do you think he'll go to UNC, or will he want to get out of

>dad's shadow?

>

>If he wants to do something different, I'd say yes- I've

>seen him play, and he'd be a great guy to have. He's a very

>smart, complete player for his age. And you're right, I'm

>sure SLU players would like to be wearing Jordan gear.

From what I've heard, he isn't quite on the playing level of UNC and his dad doesn't want to force him in there. I hope he goes somewhere he actually gets to play. Better to play a lot in the MVC/A10 than to sit on the bench for a middle ofthe road Big10/ACC team. If he does well enough at a school like SLU, Bradley, SIU, etc. there would be plenty of NBA teams that give him a looksie. I just can't see them justifying it for a kid who was sitting the pine at NC State or Michigan.

I never really thought he'd consider us, but you do make a good point. I wouldn't want to spend my career coming off the bench at a big program, and being known only as Jordan's son. At that point, everyone will just think you're on the team just because of the last name. It could be smart going to a somewhat smaller program and proving you can play.

I am not sure I completely agree with you. If his only objective is to be a productive college basketball player then yes it would be better for him to go to a mid to major program. However, if I was a middle of the road player and I had the chance to play for an ACC school I would take it hands down. I would rather get a degree from an ACC school and ride the pine for 4 years then get a degree from SIU and play for 4 years. There are many things besides playing time that would make playing for a big-time school appealing to me.

I would rather get a degree from an ACC school

>and ride the pine for 4 years then get a degree from SIU and

>play for 4 years.

The problem with that is that being in a big conference doesn't make a school good academically. There are just as many good schools in the A10 or MVC as there are in the ACC.

If you are talking about a junior Jordan, a degree isn't going to mean much for their post-basketball life. They could get jobs working wherever they want because of MJs connections/power.

So degree being equal, where would you rather be? Sitting the bench (and I am talking about 12th-13th man, right above the walk-ons) at a midlevel ACC/Bigeast/Big10 program, or starting/6th man type duties at an MVC or A10 school?

I definitely see where you are coming from and don't think you are wrong. Its just if it was me I would go to the big-time school. You are looking at it from a purely basketball stand point. I would love to get a schollie to an ACC school and ride the bench. I was speaking about the degree from my standpoint and not from that of lil Jordan and obviously all schools in the ACC aren't comparable academic wise, but on the whole they are much better than the MVC. Just imagine the tail you would bring in walking around campus in hoop gear at an ACC school. I hear the girls at UVA are nice, right TKBilliken? Its all a personal preference, I know a kid who was a standout football player in highschool and went to Notre Dame. He hardly played at UND and I asked him if he wished he had gone to Mizzou or Illinois where he could have played and he said he would never of had it any other way.

Two words: Late Bloomer. He was on nobody's radar screen until he had a terrifc junior season. He was a MAC caliber player before that. Plays high school ball with former NFL player Matt Suey's son.

He is about 6 feet...listed anywhere from 6'1 -6'2.....plays taller than 6 feet....very smart player, fundamentals....etc...Really improved a lot this past year.....led his unknown high scool team (Loyola Academy) to its furthest in 30 years in state tourney before falling)....

I would say he is definitely a player worth recruiting.

Interest has risen dramatically after this past year of huge improvement....Illinois, Marquette, Kentucky, Oklahoma St, Vanderbilt on his list...and has had previous offer from Loyola Chi.

He is late bloomer...previously a mid major caliber player at best.

I know what you mean: the girls, the power, other fringe benefits that may or may not be legal. But you can still have a lot of nice ladies and attention playing for a school that might be a small notch below the ACC or another top program, as long as you're not ignored because of football.

I also understand the appeal for playing with a school that has a mystique to the program. Lance Stemler made it sound like that's why he went to Indiana. Too bad he said his girlfriend was a factor.