Pickup Fri aft

Major Majerus

I called the basketball office to inquire about when to watch the pickup ball this afternoon. Joann hemmed and hawed and said there was a recruit on campus this weekend and they weren't allowed to list the time. I guess I'll show up around 4 and watch Matt Shaw bang a little...

Matt does bang...took a few, too. He came in rubbing his back, and the trainer checked him a few times. Still, he looked good - certainly enough to play pickup with those guys. He showed a nice 3 pt stroke as well as the ability to dunk with ease, including in traffic. Can pass, and showed a nice slash and finish. Hits the boards hard. A combo 3-4; more of a 4 than Sloan, less of a three, but he already moves his feet well defensively. I was a big fan of JJ from practice last year - on potential only. I'd take Matt right now over JJ...on the basis of the pickup games I saw.

The whole team was there except for Hunt. Here are my comments on the others, for what they are worth...

Ike - has not "bulked up", but has about 2% body fat. He has a body like Isaac Bruce - if you add "bulk", you take away from the whole. He was unstoppable; outside, breaks, postups, etc...except...Bryce swatted away some of the postups. Ike is very clever underneath, including passing out. I think he'll be the man this year.

Bryce - showed no inclination to shoot, but is already a defensive force. Very agile for a big man. He had a few putbacks, both lefthanded, but maybe that is his natural hand. Still, they were both on the left side of the bucket, and looked nice. He has a better body than, say, King who plays at Illinois. With Zorba sitting out the first 10, I don't see how you redshirt this guy. After some big league coaching, we are going to be very happy with him. In no way does "stiff" apply to him. Weight training will probably get him to pro ball. Think of Archibald, and what he became. I'm not kidding.

Zorba - already gets an "A" for the pick and roll - he really understands the interchange between the big man and the guards. Dunks with ease, has a nice pullup js in the lane, bangs and rebounds. Highly mobile. Clever passer. Already has a mature body, but weight training will only help.

Frericks - similar in build to Zorba, very offensive minded, a good banger, and VERY good passer. Looks for his shot down low, but has an eye out for the cutter.

Drejaj - still leading the league in hustle at both ends, and finishes a lot of his drives over bigger defenders. Brandon who?

Clarke - my first view of him - very mobile, and hit a lot of 3's - his shot is in the same ballpark as Ahearn - and did a lot of other athletic things, but needs coaching. A great athlete.

Sloan - very comfortable with his shot and his driving ability - will think of himself as a true first option on offense this year - particularly if first shots go down. Goes right at his man now.

Nothing much to add on the others. I've seen enough pickup; now I can't wait for 10/15 or whatever the exact date is.

I'm all for hearing about Matt Shaw making a commitment to SLU. He sounds like he would be a very nice addition to our recruiting class. Hopefully, things went extremely well with his visit to campus.

Another good report on our current team. Seems like the consensus is the IO will be a key man along with Sloan and Reggie. It won't be long before the kids our practicing with Coach Soderberg and the rest of the staff.