Which is worse?

CentFLBilliken

Just kidding

>My vote is for option 4:

>if you're not interested in a thread, don't read it.

I agree completely. It's been a while since I've read a soccer thread, and I haven't touched the Cowboys thread. That works pretty well for me, but the drawback is the lack of moderating. The could be all kinds of junk in those threads that aren't getting edited out because (at least) one of the moderators isn't reading it! (Note: If any poster finds a post objectionable, he/she may report it by using the "Alert" link in the lower left corner of the post.)

>I feel sorry for Billiken fans that are soccer haters.

Why? I'm not missing anything, so you don't need to feel sorry for me.

>SLU's strongest athletic tradition is soccer, deal with it.

I agree. I recognize that SLU is currently most renowned in soccer and I appreciate that SLU has a top-notch soccer program. However, that fact isn't going to change my dislike of soccer, and it doesn't compensate for the Billikens' current mediocrity in men's basketball, the sport I enjoy most. Also, the popularity of soccer is minuscule compared to basketball. It's very weak trash talk to say, "Yeah, well... our basketball team stinks, but AT LEAST WE MADE THE FINAL FOUR IN SOCCER." A person will get no props around the water cooler for that.

Still, I hope SLU wins the National Championship in men's soccer this fall, but whether they win it or fall short, it will have no bearing (neither by addition for winning nor by subtraction for losing) on my enjoyment of the basketball season.

In other words, soccer ain't reality -- deal with it. (Ha, that's pure trash talk!)

Actually thicks, I find the soccer reply does have some merit, and use it often. It usually engenders the spirallin gdown of teh conversation to the relative merits of the two sports. I actually enjoy both tremendously, marvel at the athletes intensity, power and skill. You might want to come out to a home game at the Hermann on a crisp fall evening to see a match. It could surprise you.

Who think that the war on terror is preventing the St. Louis Bread Company from punking the domestic bread industry. Hey Jacques! Smoke another Gaulloise down till it burns your finger than hack into your hanky. I hate soccer and the "old europeans" that love it.

Hopefully the world league of (real) American football converted a few heathens. As far as the rest of the world, hopefully complete saturation by ESPN and Mondaynight Football will break the soccer stranglehold.

"I'm sure soccer takes a tremendous amount of athleticism and skill."

Which is frequently the reason why people don't like soccer. When they tried to play it they couldn't, so they blamed it on the game being stupid instead of their own limitations.

"So do ballet and figure skating. That's no cause for me to be interested."

That's pretty funny. Too bad it doesn't make any sense as an analogy to soccer. I've seen legs broken, shins shattered, people kicked in the face and the subsequent convulsions, shoulders dislocated by the post, goalie punching a ball out and knocking out a guy that was in mid air, etc. We're all entitled to an opinion though which is why I wouldn't try to talk you into to liking soccer.

>"I'm sure soccer takes a tremendous amount of athleticism

>and skill."

>

>Which is frequently the reason why people don't like soccer.

>When they tried to play it they couldn't, so they blamed it

>on the game being stupid instead of their own limitations.

I played soccer in summer camps as a kid and was probably somewhat better at it (though not good) than I was at playing basketball as a kid (I'm better at b-ball now, though, though still not great). Even so, I dislike soccer and really enjoy hoops.

>"So do ballet and figure skating. That's no cause for me to

>be interested."

>

>That's pretty funny. Too bad it doesn't make any sense as

>an analogy to soccer.

I won't make sense if you take it out of the context of the previous statement, meaning, "Just as soccer takes tremendous skill and athleticism, ballet and figure skating require tremendous skill and athleticism."

>I've seen legs broken, shins

>shattered, people kicked in the face and the subsequent

>convulsions, shoulders dislocated by the post, goalie

>punching a ball out and knocking out a guy that was in mid

>air, etc.

Thanks for the gruesome description. I now dislike soccer even more. Why people play soccer and hockey (very similar sports, in my opinion), when the risk of serious personal injury is so high, is beyond me.

>We're all entitled to an opinion though which is

>why I wouldn't try to talk you into to liking soccer.

If my future wife doesn't like basketball but is willing to watch and attend games with me in exchange for my accompanying her in watching and attending events I don't like, and the choice is between soccer and figure skating, I'll choose figure skating. Period.

"Thanks for the gruesome description. I now dislike soccer even more. Why people play soccer and hockey (very similar sports, in my opinion), when the risk of serious personal injury is so high, is beyond."

I don't think its any more gruesome than something you could see in a football game or even a basketball game. I thought your comment about figure-skating/ballet was an attempt at taking a shot at soccer (made by many that dislike the sport) that there is no action or contact in soccer. This is frequently sited as the reason that people lack interest in the game. so i misread the intent of your comment...my bad.

Even though I appreciate soccer, I don't completely disagree when it comes to watching soccer. Although I'd choose soccer over figure skating, I'd rather watch basketball or football due to the fact that I know very few of the players in soccer (outside of real madrid and a few other teams). I also dislike watching a lot of the MLS teams that attempt too many longitudinal passes and runs...no vision or emphasis on possession, spreading out the opponent, and playing into space. They try to force play too much.