Tomorrow's Milwuakee Journal Sentinel

Mobile-iken

The most interesting two points are as follows:

"Marquette and DePaul, along with Conference USA's two other non-football schools, Charlotte and Saint Louis, have also taken steps to remain as informed as possible throughout the process. Recently, they jointly hired former NCAA executive director Cedric Dempsey to do some exploratory research."

"Cedric Dempsey is about as top-quality a guy as you can work with," Cords said of the 71-year-old, who led the NCAA from 1993-2002. "People have to look at the landscape. Cedric has the ability to check the landscape and see what the lay of the land is. He provides advice to each of the institutions individually and collectively."

The whole article:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/marq/sep03/169324.asp

I'm in completely agreement. Twelve teams is a pretty good size for a conference (and 10 is probably better). Sixteen is WAY too many, as the former WAC proved. I can't see the Big East going to a 16-team conference, unless it's just temporary until contracts are up.

Whatever happens with this next Big East-Conference USA-Atlantic 10 merger/swap, Saint Louis U. shouldn't make too strong of a committment until the scenarios are stable.

what really amazes me is that it is obvious that even the 16 team proposed setup of the big east would only be temporary as the bcs is adament you have to have 12 schools to play for the div I football championship bowls. i.e. the big east would be out unless they add 4 more football schools. so a 16 team league will likely become a 20 team league. so what is marquette and depaul thinking? it will be a mess.

Roy, the NCAA doesn't say you need 12 football schools in a league to play in a BCS (championship) Bowl. It says you need 12 to have a league championship game like the Big 12, Pac 12 and SEC. The Big East is already a BCS bowl conf., with less than 10 football schools.

i guess as long as the black ink of basketball covers all the other sports at marquette for the increased costs of being in the big east vs conference usa or forming a more sensible new conference, then i guess all is right in milwaukee. dont come crying to me when the basketball budget is being cut in order to fund the additional expense of flying and housing the women's field hockey team for a couple of east coast swings.