Soderberg was on KFNS today

i heard bits and pieces of it. brad told frank he fully intends to have all three scholarships filled in november, but did not promise any near future verbals. he confirmed that there are a number of scholarship offers out there and i thought he indicated they were not point guards.

he stated his desire to have i/o play the wing. said i/o had a medical porcedure done this summer that corrected a respiratory problem he had that caused him to lose his breath frequently. he feels izik will be a major player for the team this year. frank suggested numbers like 14 pts 9 rebounds and brad didnt deny that as a possibility.

they talked alot about the trials and tribulations of recruiting in general. nothing earth shattering there other than to re-affirm what sounds to be an honest and upstanding person brad is.

frank asked him about floyd mcclain and brad confirmed that he is healthy and can be a contributor this year. he did say that floyd has a class to pass or he will not be academically eligible. but it sounded like that was not going to be a problem. frank asked him about his thoughts on floyd and told brad how coach romar used to rave about floyd's athletic ability. brad reaffirmed that he has never really seen floyd both healthy and in shape thus he hasnt really seen that yet. however, he said that he has no reason to doubt it. he then told about floyd's very good hands and how floyd seems to get more loose balls than anyone else on the team.

frank asked about fericks and brad said he does not expect fericks to be near the defender that kenny brown was, however he does expect a more consistent offensive output from fericks.

brad mentioned one of the toughest things this year will be evaluating all the new people and getting a strong feel for what they really can or cannot do. with 5 new recruits and then add justin johnson, reggie bryant and floyd mcclain, who knows how they might blend together.

back to individuals, he said he expects justin johnson to contribute this year. but he did not rave about him.

the statement that stuck out the most from the show for me though was right before a commercial break. you know how frank does those bullet questions where he wants a short first thing that pops in his mind type answer. he asked what brad thought of bob knight. brad said, "i wouldnt want my son playing for him." and they went to a commercial. i did not hear anymore of the interview after that as i had a business appointment. right before that he asked who his favorite c-usa coach was and he said, the coach at east carolina. then he asked which coach he would like to spend time with, and of course he said pitino to pick his brain. then frank asked if he had to choose between crean, huggins and pitino for brad's son, kramer, to play for, who would he choose. he said crean. said crean one of the few conference usa coaches that has a strong feel for academics and really pushes academic performance.

he talked then about huggins. said bob huggins has went out of his way to try to welcome brad to the league and be cordial to him. said huggins is a real good guy.

frank asked him who his favorite all-time player to coach was and brad said mike kelley (wisconsin). then frank asked who the most talented player that brad has gotten a chance to coach and he said marque perry.

last thing i remember, frank asked him if he had to win one game, who would he want to coach that game? he said dick bennett.

that is what i remember from the about 30 minutes i heard. i missed the front 15 minutes and the back 15 minutes.

I heard about the first fifteen minutes or so while driving, thus I didn't make any notes. Some interesting comments from Coach Brad. My memory isn't that good but certain things stick out in my mind.

Frankie C. opened with questions about recruiting violations, how bad is it out there, do people knowingly break the rules, has Coach Brad ever broken any small rules, money promises to recruits, etc.

I'm not sure if Frankie C. had an agenda with his line of questioning or not. Coach Brad was very open and quick to respond. Because it is a critical topic, I'll let thicks comment after he listens to his tape closely and can makes some notes.

Other items. Coach Brad enjoys the July coast-to-coast evaluation process. He was out every allowable date.

Stated that most players usually pick a school because of the coach and not the university itself. Alot of good educational institutions are in place. He likes coaching smart kids that are coming to his school for the right reason, but he also understands that you also need some highly talented players as well.

Stated a coach with a reputation for being an average recruiting at college xyz would quickly become a better recruiter at a place like North Carolina.

Stated the West Pine gym, while an excellent practice facility, was a problem from a competitive recruiting standpoint. He didn't have any news on the pending on-campus arena.

Stated he anticipated signing three recruits next year. The more he watches Izik or thinks about Izik, the more he sees him as a 3 and not a 4. Coach Brad is interested in seeing how the five new players mesh with the returning cast.

That's about it. When I got out of the car Coach Brad just starting talking about the scheduling process. Thicks, your up and please correct any of my mis-statements!

I have a dial-up connection myself, and it takes a long time to UPLOAD the file. Patience is a key. When I make the file available (if KFNS grants permission), I'll try to offer options that may help those with various connections. I haven't learned that much about sound files and streaming yet.

>the statement that stuck out the most from the show for me

>though was right before a commercial break. you know how

>frank does those bullet questions where he wants a short

>first thing that pops in his mind type answer. he asked

>what brad thought of bob knight. brad said, "i wouldnt want

>my son playing for him."

Mr. Soderberg just impressed me no end by that statement! He must be a class guy.