First week of practice

My impression is that this is a new marketing department strategy. I don't believe it was Coach's decision. Of course, Coach had to agree to it. The announcement was made by the new marketing person whose name escapes me.

There has to be some marketing gimmick behind it. I really like the sound of the idea of Old Billikens vs. New Billikens. But if that were to happen, what players would everyone like to see?

I am thinking:

Hughes

Highmark

Love

Bonner

Tatum

Off the Bench:

Brown, Heinrich, Jeffers, and Perry

That would be a game....

Steve

>There has to be some marketing gimmick behind it. I really

>like the sound of the idea of Old Billikens vs. New

>Billikens. But if that were to happen, what players would

>everyone like to see?

>I am thinking:

>Hughes

>Highmark

>Love

>Bonner

>Brown (Don't know of another big man that is that great)

>

>Off the Bench:

>Heinrich, Jeffers, and Perry

>

>That would be a game....

>Steve

I've been thinking that the group of former Billikens I'd like to see scrimmage against the then current Bills during the summer of 2004 would consist of Brown, Bonner, Hughes, Love, and Fisher.

But I don't know if such arrangements would happen during preseason this year. Most of the named players have other commitments. Hughes is playing for the Washington Wizards. Highmark, as far as I know, hasn't been playing ball. Love is out of the country. Bonner will likely be out of the country by then. I believe Perry and Jeffers will be with their pro teams. I don't know what the other will be up to, but I doubt they'll be available to scrimmage against the Bills.

I don't know when practice starts, but I think the point of closing practice would be so that Brad could get them in somewhat of shape (actually playing a game, and not just pick ups), and maybe he will want to use those players (Hughes, etc) in scrimages for practice. It may just keep things hush hush. No clue actually. This is entirely speculation.

Steve

i doubt seriously if the former players we would like to see, i.e. love, hughes, baniak, heinrich, jeffers, bonner and perry would or could be here. they all are playing proffessionally and have recently begun workouts for their own seasons. i dont think that is the "gimmick".

i am purely guessing, but i think the closed practice is brad's idea. and not for marketing purposes, but for intense practice purposes. those of you that have witnessed a brad soderberg practice knows they are intense. he doesnt want any distractions no matter how obscure that might be.

to make it up, my guess is they will have some sort of fun open house night. isnt it missouri that used to (maybe still does) have a scrimmage on holloween? maybe that is what jill and brad would do as well. just pick out an evening after the campus students are all back in town to have a little partylike scrimmage night.

The first day of practice is Saturday, October 18. I seriously doubt many (if any) SLU alumni will be available, if it's even permissible. And I don't think Coach Soderberg would go against the rules, if it's against the rules. (I don't know the rules, but I doubt alumni are allowed to participate in regular in-season practice.

BRoy,

Harkening back to my days of having season Mizzou football tickets back in the '70-'80's...Mizzou did have a basketball scrimmage that they encouraged folks at the football game to attend. It was held on the Saturday closet to 10/31. I have no idea if they still have that scrimmage, and you are right that they did have some catchy name for it.