Have you guys even considered this?

STLRedbird

Have you folks thought about this? I could care less about SLU's conference affiliation, except where it impacts my Redbirds. For your consideration:

http://www.chicagohoops.com/articles/chicagobigeast.html

The point of this article is that there is a new trend for Chicago players to commit to BE schools. It is reasonable to expect that this trend relates to the BE flirtation with CUSA schools in the midwest, is it not? Actually, it is pretty reasonable to put the whole footprint together and say that the BE is moving into the midwest (Louisville, Cincinnatti, DePaul, Marquette) and you now have a new BCS recruiting competitor. Is the A10 going to increase your chances of success, in this environment?

I don't know, but if the chicagohoops article is any indication, the talent funnel sucks toward the east. If SLU is joining the A10 in order to get a recruiting footprint in the northeast, the early returns are not promising. Your desparation is giving eastern schools a recruiting entry into the St. Louis area, just like the BE is moving into Chicago. Doesn't SLU have enough trouble retaining local talent?

Do what you think is in your best interests. I think it is safe to say that the majority of Valley fans do not want the SLU conference gadfly in the conference. Our commissioner appears to feel differently.

Best of luck in your future endeavors. I don't know where you belong, but the A10 is a big mistake.

Correct me if I am wrong...

WERENT YOU 8-21 LAST YEAR?????????????????????

I think we can all agree that you should probably get in to double digits in the win column before you start the smack talk.

And quite an impressive non-conference schedule you got there last year. How'd you ever get Jacksonville and Utah State to make that trip to Normal?

Seriously, you should WORRY alot more about your vanishing recruiting base than ours.

SLU has signed 3 of the top 4 high school players this year. A fifth Matt Shaw did sign with SIUC , but in all honestly, he is not from St. Louis, rather he is from Centralia Illinois. I think he like SLU and our coaching staff very much. I wish him well......but I am not crying because he signed with another regional school.

And you guys have the nerve to go onto the Valley board and whine about the animosity toward you poor Billiken fans. All I suggested was that the BE entry into the Chicago market is having some negative consequences regarding talent GOING east - not coming west. Have a nice day.

I think we have more worries trying to recruit big time athletes to play at SLU if we are in the Valley, than we do by inviting East Coast teams into the St. Louis Market. Guess what??? St. Louis isn't the hoops producing mecca that Chicago is.

In a power conference like CUSA or the A-10 St. Louis U will at least be on the radar screen for top St. Louis prospects. Is ILLState in the Valley a blip on the Chicago recruiting radar??? I honestly don't know but I think not. Interestingly our best player for the last few years was Marquee Perry from Chicago. How did we get him with all the big guns looking at Chicago??? Why wasn't he a redbird for that matter???

The Valley is like a relative who's let drink get the best of him. The past was amusing, the present somewhat sad and in the future you'd appreciate it if he'd just stop popping up on your doorstep. Also you know he'd love to have you over to clean up his image but you just can't stand all the fleas.

>Have you folks thought about this? I could care less about

>SLU's conference affiliation, except where it impacts my

>Redbirds. For your consideration:

I couldn't care less about how little you care except to say that you obviously care at least a little (and that's why you could care less).

>http://www.chicagohoops.com/articles/chicagobigeast.html

>

>The point of this article is that there is a new trend for

>Chicago players to commit to BE schools. It is reasonable

>to expect that this trend relates to the BE flirtation with

>CUSA schools in the midwest, is it not? Actually, it is

>pretty reasonable to put the whole footprint together and

>say that the BE is moving into the midwest (Louisville,

>Cincinnatti, DePaul, Marquette) and you now have a new BCS

>recruiting competitor. Is the A10 going to increase your

>chances of success, in this environment?

No, I don't think it's reasonable to say that the "trend" of Chicagoans going to Big East schools has anything to do with the fact that Marquette and DePaul are slated to join the Big East. I believe it's because there's an abundance of talent in Chicago and Big East programs have the hype and exposure to attract such talent.

Yes, being a member of the A-10 will benefit SLU in recruiting much more than being a member of your Illinios State Redbirds' conference, the Missouri Valley.

>I don't know, but if the chicagohoops article is any

>indication, the talent funnel sucks toward the east. If SLU

>is joining the A10 in order to get a recruiting footprint in

>the northeast, the early returns are not promising. Your

>desparation is giving eastern schools a recruiting entry

>into the St. Louis area, just like the BE is moving into

>Chicago. Doesn't SLU have enough trouble retaining local

>talent?

SLU is joining the A-10 to maintain its affiliation in one of the power conferences that can get multiple at-large Tournament bids (multiple after discounting the automatic bid) on a regular basis and to stay on national television an adequate amount without playing in a mid-major "bracket buster" shootout. It's not joining to make inroads into recruiting players from the Northeast (albeit SLU already has Anthony Drejaj from New Jersey).

Regarding creating an opening for eastern schools to outrecruit SLU in St. Louis, I think it's more likely that membership in the A-10 will help SLU close the borders but membership in the MVC would cause even more top tier St. Louisans to look elsewhere.

>Do what you think is in your best interests. I think it is

>safe to say that the majority of Valley fans do not want the

>SLU conference gadfly in the conference. Our commissioner

>appears to feel differently.

Gadfly? I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings that in looking out for its "best interests," SLU has rejected your mid-major conference.

>Best of luck in your future endeavors. I don't know where

>you belong, but the A10 is a big mistake.

I suppose you want SLU to drop down to Div III, if you think the A-10 is "a big mistake." The mistake would be joining the Valley (or the Horizon).

Whew. I must be probing around at a raw nerve, or something. You guys have fun being the redheaded stepchild of the A10. And another thing, it'll be a piece of cake filling that new arena when Fordham comes calling. No problem getting the team pumped up for Duquesne. St. Bonaventure had a good run in the 60's - I'm sure your fans will remember.

SLU tries to compete for the top recruits in our area. Many of the top area recruits have committed to all different conferences: Miles (St. Johns), J. White, Lee (UF SEC), Price (Big 10). This year we have been more proficient protecting the home turf. As long as the players in the area are good other teams/conferences will have interest in them no matter what conference SLU is in.

I don't think you have to worry about Ill St. vs. Syracuse recruiting wars because that is over before it even starts so your fears are unfounded.

You don't want the SLU conference "gadfly" in the MVC but it is a mistake for SLU to go to the A10. Hmmmm.....are you kidding? You don't want to add the largest Media Market in the MVC conf. region and what would be one of the best programs? Well, that is just stupid.

Having said all that Porter Moser is a good coach. I was impressed by what he did with UALR. Enjoy him while he is there. He should do well with Echols and Plank this year.

than some of the other cupcakes on our schedule this year like we did a few years back but only as a "buy" game. That is where you are at the moment. Get the RPI above a hundred then come back to eat at the table otherwise serve and don't speak. W'ell let you in our house once per year for your little show.

That last post maybe one of the saddest I have ever read. Your criticizing the A10 schools but you don't want SLU in the MVC. Do you think we believe that for one second. SLU would be a huge coup for the MVC. How many teams in the MVC are as pathetic or more pathetic than Duquesne and Fordham? Well if you include Ill St., NIU, Drake, there are quite a few. At least FU And DU are quality academic institutions.

Your making me do something I don't want to do and that is point out all the flaws of the MVC. I like the conference I just don't want to join it.

"Redbird NCAA tournament victories include Alabama, USC, and Tennessee. How about you?"

How long ago were those great Redbird NCAA tournament victories? SLU has wins over UMass and Minnesota. Other wins within the last 10 years include Alabama, USC, Cal, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Georgia Tech, Louisville (multiple times), Cincinnati (multiple times)... how about you small-timer?

Some of our posters still think they're playing defensive back...I thought your post was interesting. Thanks for sharing it. If our team's basketball performance affected our intelligence, we'd all have dropped out during the Ekker years...

>Some of our posters still think they're playing defensive

>back...

What would you have us do, kniest -- throw up our hands and beg to be allowed to drop down to the Missouri Valley? I think fans who embrace mediocrity rather than shun it are very dangerous. (I'm not saying you embrace mediocrity, but can't you see we Billikens fans with high expectations MUST rebut?)

Or you could thank the guy for a link to an interesting article and his interest. I'm amazed at the knee-jerk reaction to that post - it didn't contain any of the hostility that we sometimes see from others. It didn't merit any personal attacks. Peace.

2003 illinois state 223 rpi ranking!!!!! woo hoo i wish i was a redbird fan.

i enjoy the needle where you quote your long ago victories in the ncaa tourney against 3 good programs. how sad. living off of those wins memories.

for you to think slu will not compete in the a-10 shows your ignorance of billiken history. the same was said in every conference move by the billikens in the last 20 years and in each instance in a very short time the billikens indeed did move to the upper part of the conference and compete for league championships. there is no reason to believe it wont continue to happen. btw, how does that 223 rpi stack up in the a-10? well it looks like the redbirds would have finished about the same in the a-10, 3rd from the bottom. slu though would have finished 4th in the a-10 with a 66 rpi. not bad for a redheaded stepchild.

The point is that I personally wouldn't mind SLU in the MVC, or go to the A10 if thats better. The A10 is a better basketball conference than the MVC, although overall I think its a lot closer. Someone mentioned that the MVC is a mostly public conference, which is really isn't. There are several private institutions. If SLU goes to the A10, then I really do hope it works out for you guys. But when you take on this superiority thing of how you are just way too good for the MVC, I think you're a bit biased.

Also, to the person who whined about the ISU fan saying that they don't care that much about SLU, just how they affect ISU, that point has to be clarified since otherwise you would take it as a huge obsession with SLU. Give me a break.

how is the 14th ranked conference (mvc) close to the 9th ranked conference (a-10)? plus take into consideration that the a-10 now garners twice the ncaa funds as the mvc shows that they are not close.

>The point is that I personally wouldn't mind SLU in the MVC,

>or go to the A10 if thats better. The A10 is a better

>basketball conference than the MVC, although overall I think

>its a lot closer. Someone mentioned that the MVC is a

>mostly public conference, which is really isn't. There are

>several private institutions. If SLU goes to the A10, then

>I really do hope it works out for you guys. But when you

>take on this superiority thing of how you are just way too

>good for the MVC, I think you're a bit biased.

While there's no doubt we're biased, let's make something clear: we don't think that SLU is too good for the Missouri Valley Conference; rather, we think there's much less opportunity for SLU to become a national power (which is what we desire) in the Missouri Valley than the A-10.

>

>Also, to the person who whined about the ISU fan saying that

>they don't care that much about SLU, just how they affect

>ISU, that point has to be clarified since otherwise you

>would take it as a huge obsession with SLU. Give me a

>break.

I assume you're talking about me, since I'm the only one who made reference to the "could care less" statement. First of all, I was not whining. Second, it appears your powers of interpretation are lacking. I wrote, " couldn't care less about how little you care except to say that you obviously care at least a little (and that's why you could care less)." I was cleverly pointing out that people who say "I could care less" when they mean "I couldn't care less" haven't really thought about what they're saying, and it apparently went over your head. Read it again, grasshopper.