Who are SLU's biggest rivals

slu72

With all this realignment talk going on, who are we really going to miss as rivals? Got me to thinking about who are our big rivals, i.e. the team(s) we love to hate that the AD should make sure we play at least once a year. Here are my choices:

1.MIZZERY-the chickens**t som's a &^%@*+!s, SLU marketing should order rolls of Mizzery toilet paper with Q's face on it until they put us on the schedule every year.

2.UC-The Usual Suspects with hops and a warden for a coach

3.UL-Now a whole new reason to hate 'em even more-Slick Rick the Big East D**k. Whose the most powerful guy in CUSA? It ain't the commish.

4.SIU-Country cousins who always seem to wear out their welcome like Randy Quaid in those vacation movies.

5.SMS-Bums who will work for food and then steal your silverware

6.MU-Al McGuire Lives but without those uniforms with the pulled out shirts and the player who wouldn't stand for the national anthem.

7.XU-Like the little brother who you can't beat. Looking forward to reinstituting this one.

Those are my top six picks.

Surprisingly the teams we have played the most in our history we haven't played in several years.

We have played Drake over 80 times

Tulsa over 70 times

Wichita St. over 60 times

Bradley over 60 times

Oklahoma St over 50 times

Loyola and North Texas St over 40 times

Of course we have played Louisville, Memphis, DePaul and Cincinatti all well over 50 times.

Out of conference top rivals I would say are

1. SIU

2. SMS

3. Mizzou (they would be No 1 if they played us)

4. Dayton

5. Butler

I would love to see some of thsoe teams we have long histories with like Tulsa, OK St, Bradley, Wichita St put back on our schedule every now and again.

In conference rivals

1. Marquette

2. Louisville

3. Cincinatti

4. Memphis

5. Charlotte

Torch,

Where are you getting the information on the number of times that we played someone...a press guide? If it is a press guide, how can I get a copy?

By the way, back in our early MVC days, SLU did have a pretty fierce rivalry with Bradley. I also seem to recall when I first started listening to games in the 50's that SLU played KY what seemed like every year. I also seem to remember at one time that SLU had a winning record VS KY.

schasz, i think if you go to slubillikens.com and then click on men's basketball and then media guide you should get access to loads of such information. if is a longer download even on high speed connections. so might do it when you are on a cable or dsl hookup. really nice info though. that is where i got the billikens have beaten kentucky more than they have lost yesterday.

We don't have any true rivals.

SIUC and SMS have are close geographically and have made for competitive games, but our fans tend not to get real worked up one way or the other about either program.

Mizzou's and SLU's respective fans in St. Louis tend to despise each other (if you don't believe me, check out every SLU or Mizzou post on Bernie's forum), and five years ago schools had the early makings of a great rivalry. Unfortunately, the games are no longer played, and Mizzou's talent has significantly surpassed SLU's talent (for now).

Marquette and DePaul should have been great rivals, but for whatever reason the rivalries never really materialized.

Over the next five years, I look for us to establish legitimate rivalries with Dayton, Xavier, and Mizzou.

I have to think geography and the fact they're a private school hold back SLU's establishment of true "rivals." Geographically SMS, Mizzou and SIU should be the biggest rivals but really, we don't have much in common with them as academic institutions. Similarly, Marquette and Wisconsin fans hate eachother like Mizzou and SLU but UW-Madison isn't Marquette's biggest rival and vice versa.

In conference Marquette and DePaul are similar academic institutions but now you have a distance factor (6 hours to Milwaukee) - Louisville and Memphis are closer but again, different types of schools. In fact, Marquette and SLU hardly ever played before joining the MCC together in 1990.

How often have SLU and Creighton played? Creighton seems to be in a similar situation in terms of establishing rivals. Would be a good game to see.

BRoy,

That is cool stuff...I just printed the history stuff, as it has information on the players and years that they played for SLU. Since I am one of the old time fans...I will be able to connect the various players that I have seen going back to 50's and 60's.

Creighton is a seven hour drive from St. Louis, and the two cities have little in common. A rivalry is unlikely to develop between the two programs, and I doubt many SLU fans are much interested in such a rivalry.

If SLU can raise its program to top 25 status, a great rivalry will develop with Mizzou. The largest state school and the largest private school in a state make for natural rivals.

Dayton and Xavier will alos make good conference rivalries.

Actually, and I will have to check this document that I just printed, but I remember Al McGuire bringing MU at least once to the Arena. If my memory is correct it would be back in the Bob Polk days. By the way, I thought Bob Polk was a pretty decent Billiken HC...he coached Harry Rogers and Jimmy the Jet Irving. What I remember about Al was he really got our crowd worked up to a lather. By the way, his Asst. was Hank Raymonds, a former St. Louisan. My Dad knew Hank's mother very well.

I never realized Omaha was so far from STL. Says a lot about the hordes of Creighton fans who made the MVC title game on a Monday night.

As for Schaz's comment about MU, they did play SLU but rarely. I believe the all-time series is 29-21 with most of those games being since 1990. No idea why that is.

both team's interest ? I cruise the Tigerboard and the Supermizzou board regularly (where I see a couple of you post) and , except for Lerxst(sp?), I see no ndications of other than passing interest in SLU. I think by and large they're too wrapped up in football and Kansas most of the time.

We are 9-8 against Kentucky.

Schasz I have 3 media guides 78-79, 88-89, and the other 90-91. They have every possible record and stat up to the time it was published. They used to sell the media guides at the games but Yow put a stop to it. I have been meaning to get another one, I think the sports info dept will give you one for a few bucks, I plan on getting one this year.

We used to play Creighton alot as we were both in the Valley, the series though was very lopsided we were like 7-21. Aftrer we left the Valley we just stopped playing them. It would be a decent series to start but Omaha is a ways away and real interest between the two schools is questionable.

Prior to 90, we were 7-11 against Marquette and since the early 60s had maintianed a loose schedule of a home and home series with them about every decade. We played them twice in the early 70s and again in 78 and 79 and got our azzes handed to us in all 4 games so I imagine that is why the series ended.

Mizzou doesn't like to acknowledge SLU. If there is any mention of SLU they will get riled up over it. Believe me mention SLU to a hardcore Mizzou fan and he will spout off about what a terrible program we have compared to the Tigers.