Strap It On...

Schasz

Was there any indication at the Tip Off club meeting what kind of 'special' there would be after the week of closed practices? Really don't get it why this move at this time.

I don't ever remember it happening for the Bills in the recent past. I once heard Romar say that if the comments on the Board got too specific, e.g. give opponents an idea of how we were practicing to defend a certain team, he reserved the right to close the practices. Still don't get the strategy here. Seems a slap at the SLU bball crazies....us.

My guess is that the coach wants to have the players to have total concentration and he wants the freedom to "push" and criticize individual players in an atmosphere that does not include outsiders where the players might feel embarassed. Also, he knows that this team may not look too good thee first week because we have so many new players and he may not want people coming to conclusions about the team so early. I am very disappointed because I usually go to a couple of practices during the first week but I will give the coach the benefit of the doubt because he has done some really good things since he arrived.

It is my understanding that this decision is 100% driven by marketing. This is purely a guess, but I bet they will hold some kind of fan open house (probably at the Saviss Center). The Rams and Blues held similar events, both of which were very popular with the fans.

If that is true, and I would guess that the coach would still not mind the freedom of an intimate set of practices with his new players, then why haven't we heard anything. If there is to be some big event we all need some notice so we can set our schedules. I am very skeptical at this point that they have anything significant in mind.

>I once heard Romar say that if the comments on

>the Board got too specific, e.g. give opponents an idea of

>how we were practicing to defend a certain team, he reserved

>the right to close the practices.

I never heard that, but I think it is sort of neat (I just love it when I hear that SLU people read the board. I just find it amusing.

Steve

Those are pretty much my thoughts too. I think there is a lot of speculation, but also quite a bit of excitement with the upcoming season. With these new signings and some success last year, SLU's fan base is growing and many are excited for the season. Maybe Brad just wants to have some time to get things going and make sure his team doesn't diminish the excitement by some bad/freshman mishaps. That may be a reason he says the first week will be "basketball 101". On the other hand, i know somebody mentioned it was a marketing ploy...so maybe he is trying to get something together for the fans that he needs a week to practice. Who knows....