Mascot

slufanskip

That's a good question. Out of all the Valley mascots, I personally wouldn't mess with the Evansville Purple Ace. He bears a striking resemblance to a street pimp/gambler/thug, so if you cross him, he's likely to cut you. At the very least, he might introduce you to the back of his hand. He could easily have a .32 gun in his pocket for fun and a razor in his shoe.

first off, you didnt describe the contest to settle the argument. i mean are we talking fight or a race or maybe digit wrestling of some sort?

but just sheer toughness, the billiken isnt going to win much.

just a quick glance at the teams from the a-10, mvc and the big east,

i would think the billiken has a better than even chance vs the spider, the bonnie, the purple ace, the sycamore (a freakin tree?), the shocker, the hoya's (what the hell is a hoya anyway), the friar and the hokie.

i dont want anything to do with the ram, wildcat, bulldog, panther, bear, brave, husky, scarlet knight, pirate, red storm, musketeer and hawk.

the even battle to me would be the flyer, duke, colonel, explorer, minuteman, owl, blue jay, redbird, saluki, irish, orangeman, and mountaineer.

so just because the ace might not fight fair you fear him more than the pirate? i could see that. what about those freakin musketeers though. those guys just have no regard for their bodies. also, are we assuming a regular size redbird or a human sized redbird. that might scare me more.

That Muskateer is pretty big, and he has a sword. That makes for a tough fight. Pirates are dangerous too. Now a fight between the Muskateer and the Pirate might be a good one.

If you wanted a full and evenly matched fight card, I think our Billiken would have to fight the DePaul Blue Demon. The Bonnie could fight the Saluki, IL St. Redbird vs. Louisville Cardinal, St. Joe's Hawk vs. Marquette Golden Eagle, etc. I guess the Tulane Green Wave fights the Indiana St. Sycamore.

Blue Jays are pretty tough, but the West Nile virus has wiped them out, the Billiken could take him.

I think the Billiken is more a lover than a fighter. I would only favor in a battle with the big orange.

green wave vs the red storm of st john's. natural matchup.

i am not sure who would fight the sycamore.

btw, what's a hokie?

explorer vs the mountaineer would be good.

colonel vs the duke

fighting irish vs the friar

i would think the scarlet knight gets winner of the pirate and the musketeer.

actually maybe the hoya and the billiken match up as no one knows what each are.

Ah, so we're throwing the Big East in here too? Isn't a Hoya a bulldog? He could take on the Drake Bulldog.

I forgot that we have two teams with Golden Eagles mascots in our own conference - Marquette and Southern Miss.

We could also have a free-for-all with all the schools who caved in to political correctness and changed their mascot - Marquette, St. John's, UAB (didn't they dump the human blazer mascot in favor of a dragon?)

i didnt know we were considering the cusa mascots. that dragon is scary stuff imo. i dont think we match up well mascot wise with any of the cusa mascots except maybe the green wave. i guess a small horned frog would be ok to duel, but a big horned frog would be scary as hell.

Yeah that's right, unless one of the other mascots helped out and used one of their sharp objects to fell the sycamore onto the Billiken.

I'm pretty sure the Billiken could take the shocker as well

Since the Billiken has slimmed down considerably and now dresses more formally than before, I don't see him (or it) doing any thing like the Cal Golden Bear "Oskie" did attacking the Stanford tree recently. I remember when he looked more like a sumo and nobody in their right mind messed with it then. By the way has the Billikens gender ever been questioned or is that a viable subject? If not I am sorry I asked.

I don't know guys ... I have faith in the Billiken

I think he lures them in with that big goofy smile and a wink. When they get close SURPRISE ... he clobbers them. Many of the mascots would be off their guard ... not suspecting to be clobbered by our Mighty Billiken

Besides ... he has probably watched many of the teams practices and is adept at defense ... the main question will be can he create his own punch ... and can he finish when he gets to the head

From the Georgetown Athletics web site:

What is a Hoya?

Many years ago, when all Georgetown students were required to study Greek and Latin, the University's teams were nicknamed "The Stonewalls." It is suggested that a student, using Greek and Latin terms, started the cheer "Hoya Saxa!", which translates into "What Rocks!" The name proved popular and the term "Hoyas" was eventually adopted for all Georgetown teams.

come on thicks, if a small child was approached by all the mascots, my guess is the billiken has the best chance to win him over. even a walking tree might creep a kid out a little. now as almeda bob suggests below, the old billiken might have been a little scary though for kids. why did we "disneyize" the billiken anyway?

The Hokie is a phrase, it is in reference to a chant in a fight song written for virginia tech. They thought it was an attention grabbing word, and it is used and means the same as rah rah or yeah.

The mascot for VT is the Hokie Bird, a big turkey. Apparently in the early 1900s a fan would bring a rather large turkey to the games and the turkey would pull the fan in a cart????? Sounds like a big turkey. The School Pres said that was mean to the turkey so he just let it run up and down the field and gobble on command. The student body cheering section was soon called the gobblers and then they took a turkey as the mascot.