is it imperative that we get a 6'9

jjray

I think we can all agree that Grimes has not given a second thought to SLU. Based upon the recruits for 2003-2004 and Brad's statements, I think the consensus is that SLU is looking to sign a 1, 3, and 4 for the 2004-2005 class of recruits. We have our PG--Polk. We are waiting on Liddel for the 3 (I gather from comments of other posters that Tommie did not pass the ACT last time he took it ... Let's hope Terry Evans recovers his health). That leaves us with the PF slot for 2004-2005.

Based upon the size of the centers Brad has signed for next year, it seems clear his preference is to build a team that physically resembles one from the Big 10--beef up front. I am sure he would prefer a PF larger than the 6'6", 210 that Shaw is listed at (as a junior). There are fair odds that Matt grows an inch and gains 10 pounds between now and his entry into college so let's say he projects at 6'7", 220 his freshman year in college ... maybe beefing up to 6'7" 235 as an upper classman in college (still smaller than what Brad is looking for).

If the Bills took Matt Shaw, he would need a year to add beef before he could be counted on for serious minutes at PF. But remember, for the 2004-2005 season (which would be Shaw's freshman year in college), we are going to have 3 centers (Frericks 6'9", Bryce 7'1", and Ian 6'10"). We will also have a redshirt sophmore PF in 6'8" JJ (hopefully he is hitting the weights this summer). Also, at 6'10" coming from Europe, I have to believe that Ian will posses the ability to play some PF if Brad wants to go for stretches with a big lineup.

With the departure of Sloan at the end of next season, I think we have to be conscious of our athleticism and mobility up front. The UT-Martin and SMS games exposed that as a weakness. Admittedly, Izik was inactive for those games but, with the loss of Sloan, I think there is a place on the Billikens rosters for an active big man like Shaw who has hops but lacks imposing size. If we pass on Shaw, I will be disappointed if Brad recruits a big body for PF who is slow and not much of a scorer.

Here is a link to an older article that describes his game (for those who are interested):

http://www.chicagohoops.com/articles/shaw-matt.html

From what I've been able to find out is that Kalen Grimes is down to 5 schools (KU, Mizzou, Illinois, SLU, and Kentucky). I have heard that he would like to be able to stay close to home. Is SLU not close? I think you can rule out Kentucky (too far away) and Illinois (I don't really think he's that enamoured with Bruce Weber) and I really think that Brad Soderberg has to sell him on the Billikens. Thoughts??

Where has he been quoted in the last 6 months mentioning SLU as a possibility? Here is his list from insiders.com:

http://scout.theinsiders.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=447155

No mention of SLU. Here is the list from Rivals.com:

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect...ey=8980&Sport=2

No mention of SLU. Here is an article dated today out of a paper in Arkansas that now says they are in the running.

"Grimes said he has narrowed his list to 15 schools, and among his favorites are Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, Illinois and the Razorbacks. "The school I pick doesn’t have to be contending for a national championship or something right now," Grimes said. "That won’t influence me as much as some other factors."

http://www.wholehogsports.com/story_whs.ph...aper=ADGstories

The sources state that they interviewed Kalen to come up with these lists ... so we need to be realistic, the guy ain't interested.

I have heard rumors that our coaching staff thinks very highly of Luke Meyer. Where does he fit in this mix? He was supposed to have visited Stanford recently. Anyone got any information as to how his visit went and whether or not he is high on their list of recruits?

Thank you.

SLU Fan

Luke Meyer is a 3, not a 4. He's a shooter, not a slashing 3. So if we have in fact offered him (as some have suggested) and he accepts, I think that means we no longer have a slot open for Tommie Liddell. There have been several names floating around the 3 slot so it looks like the Bills have backup options there. Personally, I was more concerned about backup options for the scholarship slotted for a PF in class of 2004. The Grimes prospects are very remote. Matt Shaw seems to be the #1 backup option but the apparent lower level of interest from our end is based upon size. If we have another backup target at PF that is larger than Shaw, then I have not heard the name.

the 6'9" center from mt zion, illinois, i think the name is mick yelovich, who also is a superb golfer, has been mentioned as a billiken prospect many times. i also like to think that maybe juco pf taj gray hasnt forgotten about the billikens. taj was supposedly wrapped up by coach romar before coach romar took the washington job, but then the fact romar was not going to be here and the fact that taj did not academically qualify sent him to the juco ranks. taj is a stud.

btw, i was talking to a belleville east coach last night and was told that mike dale indeed is following stetson hairston to siu carbondale, but it is assumed he will have to sit the first year due to his gpa at east.

if indeed the position goals are one point guard, one wing and one inside player, i would think luke is positioned behind liddell, evans, and humphrey for the wing spot. no inside info on that, but it is what makes sense to me. cameron murkey might be in that mix as well.

Luke Meyer is not strictly a shooter, ala Drew Deiner. In the three games I watched him play this Spring his most frequent move was to take a pass on the wing and drive into the lane and hit a 6-12 footer. Ocassionally, Luke will take an open 3 and will ocassionally take it to the basket. Again, his pet move is the drive into the lane for a mid-range jumper.

By the way, a Stanford assistant coach was at two of the three AAU games that I watched. If Luke visited the Stanford campus he probably liked it. Not much to dislike in Palo Alto. Maybe the distance will be a negative.

My guess is that coaches extend more offers than available scholarships. The scholarships then go on a first come , first serve basis.

basketbill, are you saying that the billikens are not interested in yelovich because you were told that, or because you are assuming that via the signings this year? sloan is graduating and we know that an inside player is on the billiken wish list. why wouldnt yelovich fill the order but grimes or shaw would?

Anyone have any stats on Luke Meyer from this past season? How about height and weight, quickness, hops,etc?

It would be interesting to know if Stanford is looking at anyone in front of Meyer and/or if they have offered him a scholarship?

Will he be playing in this area with his AAU team anytime soon?

Thank you.

SLU Fan

hmmmmm, if yelowich is definitely out even though he has the physical dimensions that coach brad seems to want in his big recruits, and grimes seems to be a far off dream, and shaw isnt being offered yet, there must be someone else.

Meyer is not exceptionally fast or slow, neither a gerat leaper or a poor one. He has a bigger body than most college 2s and 3s, and in games I have seen him in he is not afraid of contact underneath. He is a great shooter. HIs one failing weakness is super slow release. EarlAusitn has said and I concur that at the college level most of meyers shots are going to end up in the stands. To me unless he ahs signifigantly improved this from last season he is not a viable recruit. But hey if stanford wants him, we might as well go after him as well, the Cardinal do not win Pac-10 titles by recruiting bad players.

I watched Meyer play three AAU games this May against quality competition. I didn't see any evidence of a slow release. None of his perimeter shots were blocked or nearly blocked. If you have a wide open 3 point shot why rush it?

Funny how evaluation change. Two months ago someone stated that Meyer had a slow release. Now its been downgraded to a super slow

release. Has anyone seen one of his 3's blocked? With a dozen quality wing players in the country available to them, it's amazing that Stanford is interested in Luke Meyer if he has such a slow release!

If Stanford wants him....I want him as well.

Defenders crowded Drew Diener because they knew he couldn't beat them off the dribble. That's why we whined and moaned that Drew needed to speed up his release -- he would have a hard time scoring otherwise.

If you crowd Meyer, he'll just go by you. Meyer only fires it up from three when he's wide open. The fear that he will get his jumper blocked in college is way overblown, IMO.