It's 9:30 already

Does this development worry anyone else? If LS was ready to become a Billiken, why wouldn't he do it today, at the tournament, with a radio audience? I think he may not have wanted to kick SLU fans in the nuts at their own golf tournament and is going to announce he is headed elsewhere tomorrow morning. Thoughts?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no i disagree. i think if it was indiana, he would have announced while at indiana. i guarantee you that a coach that knows he is last of the visits wants to get that verbal commit before they leave the campus. and the fact sampson did not get that, doesnt speak well for indiana likely.

so i believe it is down to slu and marquette. and i see no reason the young man couldnt be truly conflicted on what to do. you have on one hand the close to home better academic and obviously better exposure and more playing time and a chance to be a bigger fish aka saint louis university, and on the other hand, a slick talking snake oil salesman willing to tell the young man whatever he wants to hear.

that would be a tough decision for anyone.

you made so much sense in the first paragraph but totally went off on a rant in the 2nd paragraph. Good stuff.

As to the original poster's concerns I have to believe that Stemler is truly torn at this point. We can only hope that tomorrow morning Frank has some good news for us.

As much as we all want to believe VolFan, the fact he once told us Tommie had blown out his knee makes him no better a source than a guy off the street.

>i guarantee you that a coach that knows he is last of the visits wants to get that verbal

>commit before they leave the campus.

This is true any time a recruit makes an official visit to a campus. Schools pressure these kids to commit all the time, and try to prevent kids from making any other trips. You see it more in football recruiting, but it happens.

Generally, the last school that a kid takes an official visit to has an advantage because that school has made the last impression. Schools try to position themselves to be the final official visit for a recruit for this reason.

- Nate

You do realize, don't you, that US News puts undue weight on factors like size of endowment (SLU's is currently much larger than MU's, although MU is making a push over the next 5 years to get to $1B), research, etc. These factors have negligible effect on the sort of education you get, and certainly don't speak to how hard it is to get into each school, how much money each school throws at students to get them to attend, how the actual instruction, advising and job placement are, etc.

Both are strong academic schools, but if you truly believe you're getting "better academic" at SLU, as Creanis Envy Billiken Roy says above, you're mistaken.

Also, better hope that Stemler didn't pick up Business Week this week, which ranked the top 50 b-schools in the country. IU is #10, MU is #46, SLU isn't on the list. And this ranking looked strictly at student satisfaction, job placement, and relevant factors like that.

http://bwnt.businessweek.com/bschools/unde...ate/06rankings/

Point is, at IU, MU or SLU, he's going to get a strong Business degree.

I also find the "better exposure" part funny. Better exposure, Roy? Are you kidding me? I suppose you mean in the St. Louis area, which I can see, but certainly not nationally. More PT and big fish in small pond, I might agree with.

Slick talking snake oil salesman. Whatever. So much for being civil about a recruiting battle!

i call em as i see em through my billiken blue tinted glasses. if that hurts your feelings, maybe you dont want to lurk here anymore.

Valid points, and I wasn't that worried about IU, but like Roy said, MU. Perhaps it's that perverbial chip on my Billiken shoulder, but I just have a sneaking suspiscion that LS may leave us hanging for the Warriors, I mean Golden Eagles of Marquette who have done nothing but parlay the success of 1 season into a new conference they have no business being in. Can you tell I'm bitter? I hope I am wrong.

of Box and One's post was that "we are virtually identical." He used as evidence the fact that we are ranked virtually the same by an independent 3rd party. In short, he was contradicting Roy.

Don't let Roy's ridiculously off-the-wall post get you all hot an bothered. Just cause he posts the most does not mean he represents all of Billiken fandom.

"who have done nothing but parlay the success of 1 season into a new conference they have no business being in."

A league we don't belong in? Last I checked, we finished 4th out of 16 teams this year. Yeah, we sure embarrassed ourselves.

"Can you tell I'm bitter?"

Ummm... yes.

So sorry we did what was best for our own university.

"I hope I am wrong."

You know, I don't know what to think anymore. When I read the article where his coach was quoted talking about Crean and where Stemler would fit into the MU offense, I thought MU. I have heard other things recently to point to MU as well. However, I'm guessing he's being pulled in different directions for different reasons. I'm really at a loss at predicting this one as of 4:50pm. We should all know tomorrow.

After that happens, I'll leave you guys be. I really do wish SLU well generally, but can't tolerate such BS like calling our coach a snake oil salesman. Good grief.

You guys had a good year. I enjoyed our rivalry and am sorry to see it end. I hope you do well in the Big East. I also hope you are still looking for a shooter come tommorrow

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I hope we get good news tommorrow as well, but it has been a struggle. word on the street is that one of swic's assistant coaches has been really been pushing marquette and clobbering slu at every opportunity. don't know how much of this is true, but if it is, that would be disturbing.

bad boyz for life

crean comes in at the last second and offers site unseen and tells lance he is the answer, no that wouldnt have an ounce of b.s. aka snakeoil talk in it?

get serious. crean is a salesman through and through. there is no doubt about that. brad is not as flamboyant, but i believe him and he wont tell a kid what he wants to hear just to get him to come and fill a spot.

just curious what are all the billiken fans posting at the marquette board saying? fill us in.

First of all, were you in the room when Crean made his pitch? How do you know he hadn't seen him play? I think your info might be a tad off there, friend.

I assure you, Crean did not tell Lance he was "the answer." In fact, Dominic James said that the thing he loved most about Crean when he was being recruited was the fact that he was the one guy who told him, "Here is where your game needs work..." and went on to explain a number of weaknesses. And then said, "Here is where we can help you at Marquette..."

Snake oil, my ass.

All head coaches are salesmen... if they are not, they won't last long. But if you think that's all Crean is, you're sorely mistaken.

No Billiken fans on the Marquette boards. Having attended a MU-SLU game at SLU a year ago or so, it's not all that surprising to me. The palpable apathy of SLU fans was remarkable to me when I was there. Even in the worst of the Mike Deane days, when I was a student at MU, the Bradley Center and MU bball program never had so little buzz surrounding it. Personally, for SLU's sake, I hope you guys ditch Sodes and grab up a guy who can really make SLU into a power in the A-10. Lord knows, SLU has the potential to do that!

Roy, if you're trying to suggest I'm strange for going to another school's message board to get info on a common recruit on the eve of an announcement, go right ahead. True "fans" are by definition "fanatical" about their teams, and I sometimes go out of my way to find out more about the players MU is recruiting. What a wild idea!

To the rest of you on here, thanks for being civil. Very Jesuit of you all. Good luck. If Lance doesn't choose Marquette, I certainly hope he sticks with the Jebbies.

>> stemler has NOT made up his mind, plans to sleep on it and decide tomorrow

>

>We can but hope that the person he's sleeping with

>influences him to stay close.

I think Bonwich is on point ... our best recruiter for Stemler is over on the next pillow the night before the decision is to be announced. Can't get better access than that. You go girl!

>>> stemler has NOT made up his mind, plans to sleep on it and decide tomorrow

>>

>>We can but hope that the person he's sleeping with

>>influences him to stay close.

>

our best recruiter for Stemler is over on the next pillow the night before the decision is to be announced. Can't get better access than

>that. You go girl!

maybe not. ;)

"get serious. crean is a salesman through and through. there is no doubt about that. brad is not as flamboyant, but i believe him and he wont tell a kid what he wants to hear just to get him to come and fill a spot."

Roy you don't know the first thing about college basketball recruiting. All coaches bend the truth of a conversation to benefit their school. What do you think BS told JJ and Darren Clarke? "Come to SLU and I will bury you on the bench. Then every 3 or 4 games I will put you in and when you make a mistake I will take you out" or do you think he would say "if you work hard I will give you every opportunity to play major minutes for us". Who is the snake oil salesman now?

If you think BS is above approach in this category you are really clueless.