Alex Tyus?

vtime would you rather score 80+ points every game but lose more than you win and most by scores of 100-80 or would rather average 65 ppg and win more than you lose and be in virtually every game until the end?

it is somewhat a catch 22, but i am convinced until you get the players like tyus you cannot commit to full time up and down the court and still win.

Coach soderberg has picked up the pace and is running when it makes sense more than he was when he took over the program. and it appears with obi and adam entering the picture we will finally have a higher quality power forward to help with rebounding and allow liddell to get out more and thus allow more fast break offense when the matchups allow.

Hey Memphis was run and gun all year until they ran into UCLA who dictated tempo, result, see ya Memphis. Not saying I like slow down, but do like it when a coach mixes up his tempos in a game and tries to maneuver the other team into match up problems. We can do this with DP, and did it w/ some success last year.

I am sure that the coach will run more if he has the players to do so and they do not turn the ball over regularly which negates any plus to the running game and turns it into a big minus. Danny Brown is a perfect example. His athletic ability would seem to make him perfect for the running game but so far he has not been able to finish without a lot of turnovers.

Also, I find all of this talk about "running" very interesting. With the exception of about 3 or 4 teams, no one was able to run in the NCAA tournament. The good teams get back on defense and they stop the running teams cold. Running a lot is a big thing in non conference games but when it comes down to the crunch time in the conference and the NCAA it is defense and toughness that carries the day.

we dont have 3 players with the athleticism and sheer size and strength of the worst player on the memphis team. your example backs up exactly what i said above.

I agree with your statement about "running." I also agree with broy's assessment of our athletes versus Memphis' athletes. We are not on a par with them but how many times over the last few years have we beaten them? I beleive we've wonour fair share. And '72 was right about Memphislosing when UCLA dictated tempo and all that.

Running is nice, but I believe it too many times hides a lot of overall deficiencies in a team. It might get you far, and it might not because as was noted eventually some team somewhere is going to eventually force you to play the game and if you aren't able to do that, you go home.

This team is not a running team, despite our desires for it to be so and to be entertaining. We don't ahve the compositon to do it. yes, we have a few pieces but pieces do not make a whole. We don't have a dominant rebounder (if TL is rebounding and he's our point, 'nuff said), we don't have any high flying finishers to throw it down with any authority and we don't ahve any real dead-eyes to stop and pop from the outside much (discount KL and who's left?).

If Knollmeyer, Obi and JJ can give us more than we've had in the past, and DM and LS end up helping KL from the perimiter, then DP and TL can and will run much better. But of those initials mentioned here, only Kl and Tl are knowns rightn ow. But the makeup is getting all the more better and becomes much more likable if LS signs.

I give Vee crap all the time about his Vashon kids going no where at the next level. But at least at their level, they are a sum better than their parts. That is where this program needs to go.

Now here's a dream for Bills fans. IV comes back, LS signs. Next fall's class is Tyus, a PG,Powell, and IV's bro Alex. The following class UB lands Kramer, Suggs, and Brandenburg.....that would be 3 dance teams in a row!!!!!! with more to follow.....Pinch me I am dreaming.

Maybe AT is hung up on getting with a running team, but I don't know why the rest of us are often wanting that.. Did any of us NOT enjoy the teams with Claggs, Highmark and Waldman? Now that was fun basketball to watch and it certainly was not a running team. Instead, it was a team that played really, really good basketball and could score well due to the outstanding 3 pt. shooters. I'd take another group just like that one over a bunch of guys playing an out-of-control running game.

>vtime would you rather score 80+ points every game but lose

>more than you win and most by scores of 100-80 or would

>rather average 65 ppg and win more than you lose and be in

>virtually every game until the end?

>

>it is somewhat a catch 22, but i am convinced until you get

>the players like tyus you cannot commit to full time up and

>down the court and still win.

>

>Coach soderberg has picked up the pace and is running when

>it makes sense more than he was when he took over the

>program. and it appears with obi and adam entering the

>picture we will finally have a higher quality power forward

>to help with rebounding and allow liddell to get out more

>and thus allow more fast break offense when the matchups

>allow.

>

>

Soderberg's teams will play defense PERIOD! If we score 80+ ppg we go undefeated.

Brad wants to run more. He's well aware that fans won't be filling up the Savvis Center or the new arena to see a team score in the 50's. We're moving in that direction, and Tyus would be a really nice player to have. The King James Classic announcer said he's looking at Kansas, Memphis, and SLU. We're obviously not at the same level as the first two, but Tyus might want to come back home and be the man. He has the talent to put butts in the seats.