The future is now

ACE

With Ian being a senior next year, we need to land a recruit or two (hopefully Stemler) who will make an impact right away. I think we still have two starting spots up for grabs (the 3&4). I think one could be adequately filled internally (Brown, Obi, JJ or even Polk at the point) but I am doubtful that two spots can. The future is now. If we are stuck with projects and freshmen in this recruiting class, I am afraid we will have missed a golden opportunity.

Some folks on here have downplayed this recruiting class and are already looking forward to saving scholarships for some talented local players a few years down the road. I don't get it. The new arena will be nice, but the biggest thing that will attract recruits is NCAA Tourney trips. With a core of Tommie, Kevin and Ian, we just need a little instant help to get there. If that means signing two jucos who can help right away, so be it. Who cares about recruiting classes being out of balance, etc. We don't have that kind of luxury. A center like Ian doesn't come along very often. We need to make the Big Dance next year. If not, it doesn't matter how many scholarships we have saved up for high school juniors and sophomores. Good players won't want to come here if they don't think we can get in the Big Dance.

I don't think the sky is falling yet, but I can certainly understand the anxiety people have about the recruiting. I don't think it's overly dramatic to say that the next couple of weeks might be the most important in the Soderberg era.

That's been my point all along. Why are so many posters not concerned that these spring signings are vital. No offense to the supporting players of our big 3, but not one of them has demonstrated the kind of play we need to push this club over the top. TL,IV,KL cannot do it alone, it'll be like playing 3 on 5, see the St.Joes game for proof. Knollmeyer may or may not be the answer at the 4 next year, but he's a start. Stemler appears to be the key man to getting us in the dance. Then the following year AK is ready, we still should get an invite. If the following year is KL, TL, and four or five new freshman they'd better be damned good freshman, or else that year could go down the tube as well, which will leave TL and KL scrambling to make the tourney 1 out of their 4 years at SLU, a very discouraging scenario.

I understand your frustration at the current recruiting but the future is very bright. Brad went out of his way last night to say he expects to be in the tourney even if we get no new recruits.We return 7 out of the top 8 scores and 87% of our rebounding. We will get Obi a kid who had a very good high school resume. Kevin and Tommie will have one year and increased confidence. Brad promises we will push the ball with Polk. Sorry but I'm planning on making a trip in mid march to watch the Bills play in the NCAA's

i am not sure people arent concerned, i just think most of us are willing to let it play out. if going into next season the only new addition to the mix is obi coming out of his redshirt and maguire who might be going into redshirt, i think a lot of folks will be mad.

i just think we gotta let it play out. if knollmeyer and stemler both sign, i am pretty good with that.

Brad might think he is OK for next year but the problem with no good signings this spring is that eventually you run out of players who got a chance to be seasoned and ready to step in to fill the void from graduations. This what a football team who drafts poorly runs into - they might be OK for a couple of years but then all of sudden the players they were counting on get old and they do not have anybody who can step up because they drafted bad players. I agree with Roy - if we do not sign at least two players this spring that can actually play - we are in trouble in a couple of years. Two steps forward and two steps back - Brad better have something up his sleeves. I can wait for the period to play itself out but he better net somebody.

If AK and LS sign, I'll be frigging estatic. If only AK signs I'll be pleased. If only LS back to estatic. Us making the tourney next year with no more signees than DM gives me concern. What if TL, KL, IV suffers an injury? That's pretty a thin pond to be skating on to my way of thinking. As for Obi, unless he's an exceptional individual, it's going to take him some time getting back to competitive bball. The last official game he played in was as a junior in private school ball in Texas. Granted he had a year of practice at D1 level but that ain't game conditions.

Impact players for next year, other than Stemler, I am not sure there are really any out there. The other 2 JUCOs we have been mentioned recruiting Larry and Kaba, I am not sure either one would be impact players. Now since Brad is saying he wants to uptempo the game and if this means he needs to be 10 players deep to do so, then I think signing a 2nd JUCO player might be the way to go. If Brad expects to get something from JJ, then signing a 2nd JUCO player for the 4 might not be such a good idea then.

2006-2007 Roster

IV-senior

JJ-senior

Polk-junior

Brown-junior

Meyer-junior

Husak-junior

JUCO1 (Stemler)

JUCO2 ???

Liddell-soph

Lisch-soph

Obi-freshman

Mcguire-freshman

FRESH1(Knollmeyer)

I don't know who we are on or hoping to sign for the following season, but only having 2 scholarships might leave us short. Only the coaching staff knows what they are expecting as to who they will/can sign. I don't really want to bring in 2 JUCOs now because that would leave us trying to sign 6 players before TL and KL senior season. To me that is too much roster turnover right before what should be a great season for us. For me signing Knollmeyer and Stemler would be a ideal. If Stemler goes elsewhere then I would want one of the other JUCOs only if the staff thinks they are better than JJ. Signing one of these other JUCO 4 players would mean to me that JJ doesn't get off the bench next year at all. If we only get Knollmeyer and hold back 2 scholarships, I would probably be okay with this so long as Brad is expecting JJ to contribute next year(15+ minutes per game).

The key to our making the dance for the next 3 years to capitalize on TL and KL being here, and for IV next year is simple: we need to sign LS this spring. We need a solid class next fall. If these next two signing periods yield us little, our best shot is the NIT. To me that stands for Not In Tourney.

Agree with Roy on this one. Unless there is an ultra-stealth recruit out there, I think all our eggs are in the Knollmeyer and Stemler baskets. If we whiff on both ... let the freaking begin. Somewhat for the upcoming season but more so for the following season. If we land one of the two, then I'm OK with our class. If we land both ... then it's two stellar classes back to back. Brad should get huge props.

the one thing i hope all do keep in mind is that the upcoming classes locally just keep getting better each year. and the fact that coach soderberg is getting somewhat of a free pass in the aau seasons is just a huge huge advantage. next year (this year jrs) has powell, harrelson, and o'rear to name a few. the soph class class has suggs roundtree and soderberg. the freshmen class has griffey. even the 8th graders has one of the leading guards in the nation in justin clayborne. so while i will be upset if we whiff on the mediocre class coming out this year, it just gets better and better locally thereafter.

YOu're right we can't. It is UB's job to deliver us players that can compete at a high level, read get us in the dance. If he can't do it, than he shouldn't be a hc. When schools like Creighton, X, Gonzaga get them, why can't we?

>the one thing i hope all do keep in mind is that the

>upcoming classes locally just keep getting better each year.

> and the fact that coach soderberg is getting somewhat of a

>free pass in the aau seasons is just a huge huge advantage.

>next year (this year jrs) has powell, harrelson, and o'rear

>to name a few. the soph class class has suggs roundtree and

>soderberg. the freshmen class has griffey. even the 8th

>graders has one of the leading guards in the nation in

>justin clayborne. so while i will be upset if we whiff on

>the mediocre class coming out this year, it just gets better

>and better locally thereafter.

The other thing I hope we keep in mind is that we will need to make the Big Dance very soon or these top kids won't be interested in us. One down with AK, now let's get Stemler.