billiken roy receiving backlash on stltoday forums

VTIME

Wow!!! VTIME inviting BRoy back to the Billiken Board. I'm sure Roy is pleased. Now he can find out all kinds of info on the HSSU Ath. program and the Vashon BB team. Besides all that, V keeps us all informed about the 174 local players that Brad should have offered/signed.

that is normal from the mvc fans. anytime i infer that the mvc isnt as good as the acc they slap me around at stltoday.com.

VTime, Roy isn't getting "backlash." What you have is polite disagreement on where the two programs where, are, and where they are heading. For all the chest beating, the Valley teams in the post season panned out to be one team with talent(Bradley,) one team with a system and a coach(Wichita,) and three or four pretenders wrapped in gaudy RPI clothing.

Roy is not the only person who believes many of the success stories in the Valley are driven by good coaches. It will be interesting to see if this was the case with UNI, or if they can sustain success due to coaching and system continuity.

SIU has maintained their success by hiring coaches from within their staff and former players who understand the school and the system.

Bradley will descend(once again) into the murky depths of lower division MVC with the departures of Somerville and O'Bryant.

Wichita State loses Miller and Wilson. I don't know enough about their personnel to predict whether they will float or sink, but Turgeon is of the caliber that I think they will stay afloat.

For most people, we look at a five or ten year period(or longer) to judge investments and basketball conferences. I have dated girlfriends for longer than the MVC has laid claim to be a good conference.

I think the MVC will be strong in the near future at least. There is a lot of returning talent as well as some very strong recruits coming into the league. Even the bottom teams of Ill St and Evansville have very good recruiting classes coming in. Probably the best news this offseason though is that only one coach left, McDermott to Iowa St. My fear was the league would lose 3 or 4 coaches along with the recruits they had already signed.

By the way all of the 4 signed N Iowa recruits stuck with their commitment and will be going to N Iowa. I don't know much about N Iowa's new coach, but he was the associate head coach their and they return enough talent to stay within the top half of the league.

At Bradley, it sounds like Les is giving O'Bryant good advice on going pro. I hope he is back next year and I think he needs another year of college ball to help his game, but if he is a lottery or near lottery pick that is too much money to turn down.

I also have to mention Creighton, they heard officially last week that Nate Funk was given a medical redshirt this year and will return next year for his final season. Also they have two incoming freshman, Isaac Miles out of KC that was being recruited by some B12 schools and Kenny Lawson from CA. Lawson sounds like a Toliver type recruit in that Creighton got on him early and he signed in the fall and then had an outstanding senior season. Also the rumor around Creighton boards has been the Ty Morrison a JUCO 4 that originally signed with Quinn at Mizz has verballed over the weekend. Hope the paperwork comes in and makes this official this week.

I think the future is very bright for the MVC at least for the next 3-4 years.

count me in the group that isnt a chris lowery worshiper either. i do not beleive that lowery will continue to uphold the bruce weber standard. we are getting close to the point where siu is no longer weber/painter recruits.

>count me in the group that isnt a chris lowery worshiper

>either. i do not beleive that lowery will continue to

>uphold the bruce weber standard. we are getting close to

>the point where siu is no longer weber/painter recruits.

But when you say Weber/Painter recruits you have to include /Lowery.

Lowery recruited all those guys as well and is still bringing in comparable talent.

We all receive "backlash", sonny, get used to it (for those preparing the usual racist backlash, "sonny" is taken from the great, somewhat latino character of Italian descent, played by James Caan in "The Godfather"). Knowing broy as I do, I think he can take it but thanks for supporting him just the same.

The problem is that you can't take it and get that tail between your legs when you're called out for HSSC crud and signing evbery local kid who throws a ball through a hoop. Personal opinions take beatings, fact in hand. Accept it young Jedi, allow it into your force.

As for broy being objective, c'mon ... broy has never called himself objective. He bleeds Billiken blue and is a homer true and true.

you can count on one hand the number of times that i have visited another schools message board and posted. and when i did i never argued programs vs slu etc. i would only visit to present a billiken fact period. nothing opinionwise. we have no business in other team's messageboards debating.

>Bradley will descend(once again) into the murky depths of

>lower division MVC with the departures of Somerville and

>O'Bryant.

Doubtful. Theyve got a lot of talent returning. The best PG in the MVC. OB may still come back. Les is flying around the continent banging down the doors of recruits. Amazing what winning a few games in a row in March will do for a program.

The MVC will still be fairly strong. With Altman and Turgeon locked in, and Les looking like hes locked in, there should be some great teams coming out on a yearly basis. SIU will reload as always. SMS was never that great to begin with.

Did anyone else see that Drake signed Dr Tom to a lifetime contract? Thats the equivalent of us hiring Norm Stewart and giving him a lifetime contract after a few years. Very strange.

The Dr Tom signing I think was a good one for Drake in that I think he has done a good job of making the competitive the last couple of years. With the league as a whole improving it is hard for Drake to break into the top of the league, but they are certainly a better team now than before Dr Tom. Also the other thing his signing did was name his son and assistant coach Keno Davis as his replacement once he does retire.

There are a lot of pretty good PGs in the MVC. I don't know if I would call Ruffin the best, but he will be a key player for them next year with or without O'Bryant.

>

>>Bradley will descend(once again) into the murky depths of

>>lower division MVC with the departures of Somerville and

>>O'Bryant.

>

>

>Doubtful. Theyve got a lot of talent returning. The best PG

>in the MVC. OB may still come back. Les is flying around the

>continent banging down the doors of recruits. Amazing what

>winning a few games in a row in March will do for a program.

>

>The MVC will still be fairly strong. With Altman and Turgeon

>locked in, and Les looking like hes locked in, there should

>be some great teams coming out on a yearly basis. SIU will

>reload as always. SMS was never that great to begin with.

>

>Did anyone else see that Drake signed Dr Tom to a lifetime

>contract? Thats the equivalent of us hiring Norm Stewart and

>giving him a lifetime contract after a few years. Very

>strange.

SIU may have the best returning pg in the conferencce. Tough as they come. Can score, handle create and was 10 top in the nation in steals most of the season.