Asst Anthony Beane resigns

TheBand

You asked about Randall. Well, he is familiar with St. Louis, having coached at Webster University and SLU. And he has ties to the Midwest, having coached and played in Wisconsin. But he also has international experience, serving as a head coach for a professional team over seas from some team that I can't remember right now. Either way, I believe he was instrumental in landing IV.

And the reason he left SLU was because his father unexpectedly passed away and he took over his high school basketball team, leading them to a state championship this season. I know he remains in close contact with Brad and I wouldn't worry about him jumping ship, again. His reason for leaving was personal more than anything. I know he was making a lot more money at SLU than coaching part-time at a high school. I think Randall would be a good fit for SLU. He is very smart and a great talker, meaning he can recruit. I guess we will find out sooner or later who gets the job.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand that line of thinking. I think this has the possibility of being a very big deal. Not because of why Beane left because of the potential candidate that could replace him.

The facts are as such:

- Angres is the only coach on staff that was a big man and coaches the big men.

- In Brad's four years only one big man has "developed" in this system into a good D1 player and at least part of that is due to international experience.

- This staff has no strong local ties

- Whether people want to admit it or not there is still a quota system in college b-ball and 3 of 4 coaches being white is a lot.

Assuming AB has interest in the job, and rumors over the past year have suggested he does, Brad has the opportunity to hit a home-run here. AB would excite the SLU faithful, it would build inroads in the local community, it could only help in the development of our big-men and it would finally connect the SLU past with the SLU present.

I think this would be a very big deal if AB was hired.

Similiar to Beane, you want someone who has contacts and a proven track record, maybe as assistant at low level div 1 school or head coach of a successful jr college program. Someone who is hungry (but stays within the rules) to bring in some top recruits and move on in 4-5 years to a head coach position. I suggest someone from the East Coast since we are now in the A10 and getting kids from the talent rich NY, Phila and DC Metro Areas should be easier.

Was it Beane or Thorpe that had the contacts in Europe that brought Ohanan and IV?

i am pretty sure that ian, izik, drejaj, brown and reggie were all products of coach beane's original efforts. i believe both liddell and lisch were thorpe projects. no inklings on others.

I have no idea what his interests in coaching would be after being dumped by the Bucks last year but I do know that Terry Porter is doing more entrepeneurial things these days. I believe he is putting a group together to buy the Portland Trail Blazers.

on one hand, i completely agree with kshoe's thinking.

on the other hand, i cant help thinking of clyde drexler's disaster at houston. the fact that bonner has made big money in his career and now he would take a massive pay cut to work ungodly hours, travel ungodly schedules, have to kiss butt to 16 year old kids and single parents that have no idea or respect for what he has been through, i dont know.

i agree he would be great coaching the kids that are here. especially the bigs. however, i just dont see the recruiting thing. that takes a special stomach.

when i said sloan or randall, i didnt mean as the head asst. i naturally assumed that grunkenmeyer or thorpe would move to the head of the class and that sloan or randall or the asst to be hired from outside would fill the third asst position. i would definitely be surprised if we hired some sort of associtate head coach or put the new person from the outside in the top position.

as an assistant coach the scenario is only magnified more because of an even greater disparity in income and the fact the assistant coach has to hit the recruiting trail more and at a different level than an assistant.

while there are definitely successful ex professional players as assistants and head coaches, i would bet the vast majority of coaches are not prior professionals with 10+ years of high earnings as a basketball PLAYER.

I think you are probably overstating Bonners recent earnings. Playing in Europe or Puerto Rico pays well but not exactly NBA numbers. His NBA days were a long time ago. Things like expensive cars and a divorce can eat up a few million dollars. Anthony could probably use a decent paying job and I'm sure would put the same work ethic into it that he did to his on court playing.

while not nba numbers, i bet it is more than division one mid major assistant coaching numbers and all he has to do is play basketball as opposed to the recruiting side of an assistant coach. if it was only coaching the existing players, that is a piece of cake decision. standing up to the rigors of recruiting (and recruiting at slu is different than recruiting at duke or uconn) and being expected to be good at it as well is another story.

While I agree it's not a 9 to 5 job I don't think it's quite the ordeal your making it out to be. There are many dead periods during the year when there can't be contact. Summers are pretty easy except for July when you can evaluate. If the job were so hard why do so many people want it?

i was not saying anyone doesnt wants it, i was saying an ex professional basketball player that is used to more money and never subjected to the rigors of college recruiting probably doesnt want it.

hey i hope i am totally off base. i would love to have bonner at slu. in fact i think his presense working with our existing players has so many positives about it, i couldnt care less if he recruited at all.

but he's older and playing is not an option, so what he could make in the past is not relevent. I am sure he loves basketball and can make decent money as an asst coach. An asst coaching position could also lead to a head coaching position ...

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

he also might want to coach at a level where recruiting isnt a need. i.e. professional here or abroad or high school. a lot depends on what bonner has put in the bank or has coming in retirement/pensionwise. yes we have all read about the child support claims, but that doesnt mean he is destitute. it means he hasnt paid child support.

how many big splashes has saint louis university given us in our lifetime's? does coach soderberg transcend "big splash" news? normally he is a long term guy that would be loyal to those loyal to him. i.e. sloan and randall.

>on one hand, i completely agree with kshoe's thinking.

>

>on the other hand, i cant help thinking of clyde drexler's

>disaster at houston. the fact that bonner has made big

>money in his career and now he would take a massive pay cut

>to work ungodly hours, travel ungodly schedules, have to

>kiss butt to 16 year old kids and single parents that have

>no idea or respect for what he has been through, i dont

>know.

>

>i agree he would be great coaching the kids that are here.

>especially the bigs. however, i just dont see the

>recruiting thing. that takes a special stomach.

I think you might be romanticizing what it is like to be a pro in lower level international leagues where AB has toiled in his later years. It's no pot of gold. You are away from friends and family the entire duration of your contract. Months on end in foreign cities ... I'm not talking French Lick, Indiana ... I mean really foreign. I would be very surprised if AB put away so much money at this point that he is set. The guy has always been a hard worker. He's traveled more miles already than any assistant coach we've every had in our program. If he took the job and made the commitment, could anyone really doubt he has the "stomach" for it?

With Anderson 110 miles up I70, competition for local recruits just got kicked up a notch. AB could be a our equalizer.

i am curious why so many think that anderson being the mi$$ouri coach now makes the level of recruiting against mi$$ouri tougher than it was against pretty q? who did we get when $nyder was the mi$$ouri coach that we wouldnt have gotten had $nyder not been there?

who has anderson ever recruited from anywhere in missouri/stlouis?

>i am curious why so many think that anderson being the

>mi$$ouri coach now makes the level of recruiting against

>mi$$ouri tougher than it was against pretty q? who did we

>get when $nyder was the mi$$ouri coach that we wouldnt have

>gotten had $nyder not been there?

I thought Pretty Q had worn out his welcome in STL by the end. Why does Anderson make it tougher for us? I thought it was straight-forward case. He runs uptempo, pressing D. We have the "reputation" as a program that packs it in on D and muddles along in the half-court set on offense. Rightly or wrongly, Anderson can make that case very effectively against us locally. Also, with Pretty Q, Mizzou was in a free fall. Anderson will right that ship. He may not make then a national power in short order (like Huggins at K State) but I expect them to be competitive and respectable in his first year. How much harder is it going to be now to get Powell with Anderson at Mizzou? Powell is just the sort of player they need for that system.

>who has anderson ever recruited from anywhere in

>missouri/stlouis?

Shouldn't you put quotation-marks around that statement and cite guest? Not the best analogy but who has Huggins ever recruited out of KC? Well Huggins is now a force in KC recruiting (should there be a local player he wants). Regardless of whether or not Anderson has ever met any of the AAU or PHL coaches, he will make an instant impact with them IMHO.

I hear Mark Bernsen from Moberly Junior College is being considered.

He has ties to the st. louis area, he was an Asst. Coach under Spoon at SMS, and then the head coach. He has coached at New Mexico State, Murray State, and SEMO. He also has coached high school at McCluer for two years and in 1996/1997 he coached at Kirkwood High School.

I think he would be a great fit since he knows st. louis and knows how to recruit. His team at Moberly was NJCCA runner up in 2005

kshoe,

I thought Kenny Brown developed better skills during his two year stay. I'm also interested in seeing how Bryce plays the next two years. I think he has made good progress. SLU needs to recruit more talented post players, but that's a difficult task.

Regarding local recruiting ties....Brad has been in St. Louis for five years and I feel he knows the key high school coaches, and as important, the AAU coaches. Rich Grawer and Lee Winfield were both wired into the local high school scene for their nine or ten years and what did that get them....they both still got fired for losing!

Regarding "quotas" and black and white assistants...... according to the Missouri Valley Conference 2005-6 media guide.....both Creighton and Northern Iowa had all white coaching staffs. SIU-C has two black coaches and two white coaches. The other seven Valley teams all had white head coaches and staffs that consist of two white assistants and one black assistant. Both Romar and Soderberg have had equally mixed staffs. (No pictures in the A-10 media guide, thus no data on SLU's conference.) SLU needs a quality recruiter regardless of the race!

I can't get overly excited about Bonner as an assistant because I don't think he would have an immediate impact on the total recruiting picture. imo, SLU needs an experienced recruiter, one who can have a recruiting impact somewhere other than the metro St. Louis.