Will Nark and the Little Shoes get screwed?

In researching cheeseman's post regarding Billiken Club membership and its effect on season ticket priority, I stumbled upon the following little gem:

"The privilege to benefit from the priority points is not transferable. An exception is a surviving spouse may continue point privileges for his/her personal use only. The surviving spouse may not transfer points to any other individual."

Now, I'm not positive about the personal situations of Nark and the younger Shoes, but it seems like they've said that their respective ticket blocks are held in the names of their elders (as is mine, as it has been for 40 years). Consider, for a moment, the concept of building "tradition" in the context of not being able to pass down your season tickets to the next generation of your own family.

We trust this is just yet another inattention to detail that the Athletic Department will correct.

(Oh, and I do agree with Roy, although I can't find anything right now to verify it. I believe I've read that Billiken Club membership will be first priority for season tix at the new place, superceding the point total. Perhaps someone from the Athletic Department can confirm or clarify.)

I know that I'm not.

So what are the implications of the rule remaining?

1)As long as tickets in the new arena are purchased with the points of the elder one should still get good seats. At a minimum, one will have access to those seats for sure until both parents have passed on.

2) It will be more difficult to continue to accrue BC points as others have a head start every year with season tickets. Additional points are important for priority on road trips and our annual NCAA appearances.

3) Because of #2 above the younger will likely feel pressure to contribute more to the program to make up for the lack of season tics in his name.

4) Presumably, after a long time and both parents have moved on (and SLU has become aware of this) child will have a fair number of Billiken Club points in his name and will be able to respectfully talk to the administration about transferring the seats to his name. A check to the BC may also be necessary at this time.

Because of #3 and #4 above which both involve extra donations to SLU I don't see them changing the rules. The legacy children are locked into this program and while you don't want to piss them off this rule isn't bad enough to make them walk away. I know its not with me anyway.

Walk away, no. But how many people are we talking about, how long have they been supporting Billiken basketball -- and what would be the highest road for the U. to take?

My old man is a tad older than yours, as illustrated by the teacher-pupil relationship. He's healthy, thank God, but he also turns 80 next week.

More to the point, because of a combination of health issues and some years not living here during basketball season, my dad hasn't used his tickets save for about 4 games in the past 5-6 years. They come to my address, and I pay for them, and have for probably 15 years now.

Interesting question: Can they pass down season ticket rights from generation to generation at Duke? Kentucky? Kansas? Marquette? Gonzaga? What's the standard practice at a "Top 50" program?

about the other programs and I don't know the answer but I do remember reading a story a couple years ago that Phog Allen's grandson was forced to give up his courtside tics because he didn't have the appropriate points.

I get the impression that our points system is modelled off other "big-time" programs and we aren't an outlier on this issue.

"More to the point, because of a combination of health issues and some years not living here during basketball season, my dad hasn't used his tickets save for about 4 games in the past 5-6 years. They come to my address, and I pay for them, and have for probably 15 years now."

Do you think SLU would even know if your old man had moved on?

I agree, once both parents have died, the tix should not pass on but should be opened up for others. Since SLU has been upfront about this for years then those who have continued that practice knew the consequences and at least they have 2 years to try to rectify it to their advantage.

i told my son to do the same. he is a soph in college and is joining the billiken club now to start accumulating points.

Kentucky and Wisconsin allow season tix to be handed down to children.

Ohio State, Michigan and Marquette don't (surviving spouses only).

Marquette's point structure, by the way, seems to put much more emphasis on continuous season-ticket holding than it does on donations. All good Marquette tix have a per-ticket "donation" surcharge from $50 to $150. You can also earn points toward Zags season-ticket-buying privileges (which are currently booked through 2009) by making donations that subsidize the FREE student seating.

i've, unfortunatly for me, been away from the board for a couple of days, so i'm not certain the context, but i'm totally lost by this quote Bonwich....

(Oh, and I do agree with Roy, although I can't find anything right now to verify it. I believe I've read that Billiken Club membership will be first priority for season tix at the new place, superceding the point total. Perhaps someone from the Athletic Department can confirm or clarify.)

i am a bc member, therefore i have points

how do you have points w/out being a bc member???

That's the whole point of the response. There are any number of season ticket holders who aren't Billiken Club members. They all still have their points from years holding season tix, extra donations to the U., etc.

Roy (and I) were noting that we *believe* that Billiken Club membership will be a de facto requirement for being first in line for season ticket sales moving forward.

That's the whole point of the response. There are any number of season ticket holders who aren't Billiken Club members. They all still have their points from years holding season tix, extra donations to the U., etc.

Roy (and I) were noting that we *believe* that Billiken Club membership will be a de facto requirement for being first in line for season ticket sales moving forward.

great pun in the first sentence!!!

to continue to beat a dead horse, but if these points are not bc points, who keeps tally of the points?? is there some separate ad points system outside the bc?? isn't the policy currently for upgrades based on bc points??

the Billiken Club keeps points totals on all people that are season ticket holders, Billiken Club members and presumably those that make donations to the Billiken Club and arena.

Priority for seats in the new arena, however, will go to Billiken Club members.

Here is a simple example of how it works, with total point numbers being made up.

Person A: Holds season tickets for 40 years, donates occasionally, is not a Billiken Club member. Has 120 points

Person B: Season tickets for 20 years, Billiken Club member for 2 years at lowest level. Has 60 points.

Person C: Never had season tickets. joined Billiken Club last year. 2 points

When it comes time for season tickets, Person B goes first, person C goes second and Person A is last.

However, Person A could go out tomorrow and purchase a BC membership at the lowest level and move immediately to the front of the line.

Not so fast Kshoe. You said "40 years"

As I understand it, current Billiken Athletic Dept. officials have the following plan: After the initial seating of the new SLU arena based on Billiken Club points, every 4 or 5 years after that seating will be reshuffled -- meaning new seating for all based on "then" total Billiken Club points.

kshoe wrote:

"4) Presumably, after a long time and both parents have moved on (and SLU has become aware of this) child will have a fair number of Billiken Club points in his name and will be able to respectfully talk to the administration about transferring the seats to his name. A check to the BC may also be necessary at this time."

Contrary to Kshoe's comments above, unless your contribution to the Billiken Club gives you a high priority, your legacy is meaningless. Your only hope is to give money to your parents so they can donate to the BC in their name and have your own name legally change to that of your Mother or Father.

before you spread stuff like that on this board. I can't imagine the long-time faithful will be to happy about that plan and if it isn't finalized yet you likely spoke before the Athletic department wanted you to.

If that is the case then yes, my point #4 would not be true. However, if it isn't the case then I'll stick by my comment. When the time comes to move the seats to your name you would likely be given an opportunity to write a check to imprve your BC status to whatever is necessary so that you'll be ahead of the next person looking to move up in seats. That being said, there isn't exactly a huge line of people actively looking to move seats in any given year.

Your point on "writing a check" is valid. Money talks.

No secrets are being disclosed. Many plans are under consideration but the most likely plan is one that will promote the concept of "Money Talks". Finding a way to maintain and increase donations by fans is important to all schools, and reseating is used at many schools to increase revenue.

Another way to increase revenue which I find more distasteful is require minimum donation in addition to the cost of a seat. This approach works best for the school where ticket demand exceeds supply. If demand is low the donation amount (and revenue) is not great - e.g. Marquette. The opposite extreme is Illinois where 4 seats front and center cost (I am told) 10,000, as a donation.

I personally find reseating a more fair approach for long-term fans. Is there a way we in the group could research how many different NCAA programs reseat their buildings every few years?

To start the research, I know as a fact that UCONN reseats annually based on donor points.

I don't disagree that it is a relatively fair way to increase the continued revenue and to reward those that donate the most. I don't think the blue hairs within SLU will much appreciate it as they are the ones with the most points accumulated to date but it could be good for the younger fans as they'll have the opportunity to improve their seat locations every five years or so.

The most important thing anyone can gather from this thread is to join the BC and make sure any donations made and tickets held are in their name only.

keep in mind folks, we couldnt even find enough "deep pocket" boosters in 2 years to raise the $35m that was originally asked for. i.e. reshuffling will never be a big deal imo. some people might be moved, but never dramatically and even then there will always be attrition due to death and company's/booster's losing interest and that alone might keep everyone happy. it would take just an unbelievable run by our billikens to make this a dilemna imo. that would be a great problem to have.