Tourney (as of today)

Taj79

If it ended today, it would go like this

#5 Temple vs. #12 Richmond (Temple owns tiebreak vs. X)

#6 Xavier vs. #11 Dayton

#7 UMass vs. #10 Rhode Island (UMass owns tiebreak vs. SJ and Fordham)

#8 St. Joes vs. #9 Fordham (St. Joe's owns tiebreak vs. Fordham)

Saying the higher seeds win (but recognizing that probably won't happen), you have

St. Joe's vs. #1 GeeDub

UMass vs. #2 Saint Louis

Xavier vs. #3 Charlotte

Temple vs. #4 La Salle

This would make for an interesting Thursday in Cincinnati.

The Post says we wrapped up a bye with the Charlotte win so we are top four no doubt. Gives us that all-important first round bye in a four-games -in-four-days tourney without the bye. Not too many tams can pull that off much.

Interesting games of the final week include SLU hosting Dayton (a win should wrap up the three and means the two if Charlotte loses at GeeDub), Charlotte at GeeDub (figuring on Charlotte to beat Duquesne prior to this one), and La Salle at Fordham (makes our game against them immaterial if we beat Dayton and La Salle loses to Fordham on Wednesday).

Bu *** is nice to sit here a week out and know the bye is in the can and we are just watching the rest position. Again, not bad for a pre-season #13 pick. And I'm still enjoying my crow disguised as the "duck with mango salsa."

Taj said"Interesting games of the final week include SLU hosting Dayton (a win should wrap up the three and means the two if Charlotte loses at GeeDub),"

What happens if we beat Dayton but lose to LaSalle, Charlotte loses to GW and LaSalle beats Fordham. SLU, Charlotte and LaSalle all end with the same record and SLU beat Charlotte, LaSalle beat SLU, and Charlote beat LaSalle. What is the next level of tiebreaker?

If Charlotte were to beat GW then the SLU-LaSalle game will be for a 2 seed or 4 seed.

If LaSalle loses to Fordham then we are guaranteed a 2 or 3 seed as long as we beat Dayton.

Vtime, are you saying that Charlotte will end the season having to play 1 more conf. game than us? That seems odd - I would have thought every team would play the same # of conf. games. I realize that the way the conf. is set up they all played a different slate of teams but still should have played the same # of games.

... and I don't get that. To cheese: no ... all teams play 16 conference games. What Vee is talking about is the overall record ... Charlotte is 17 and 10 and we are 16 and 10. Here is the standling link from the A-10 official board.

http://atlantic10.org/sports/mbball/

I was thinking that they'd have us listed ahead of Charlotte because we are now in second. Then I read Vee's post and quickly reasoned that it must be overall record by which they are lising things. But if you look at it, Temple and X have identical conference records but Temple has less overall wins that X yet is still listed higher. A same thing goes with the three teams at 7 and 7 with St. Joe's having the most overall wins yet listed as the third of three teams tied at 7 and 7. So it beats me as to how its figured.

In the 7 and 7 logjam, UMass beat both Fordham and St. Joes so I had them figured in at the highest seed of the three. Fordham also lost to St. Joes so I gave the Hawks the next one. All it really seems to show is that the jockeying for the pack is still pretty wide open and the Wednesday games are all up in the air.

... but if we all finished at 11 and 5 in conference, we hold the advantage over Charlotte, La Salle would hold the advantage over us, and Charlotte has it over La Salle with all that based on head-to-head competition. In the old days at CUSA, the next determination was records against the league ... meaning how you did in comparison to the other schools against the descending order.

If that were the next case, and I don't know because I can't find it defined on the A-10 web page, everyone would be in a wash situation based on all of us losing to GeeDub. But Charlotte lost to them twice (if this plays out the way it does) so maybe they get the four based on those two losses, and La Salle moves up and gets the two based on head-to-head with us.

If that doesn't do it, them you skip down to the next opponent, let's say the five seed is Temple. Temple beat La Salle but lost to both us and Charlotte and we have the break over Charlotte. I would think that makes us the two, Charlotte the three adn La Salle the four.

If its against X, I would think we win that one and get the two based on our two wins against X, La Salle gets the three based on its win over X and Charlotte the four based on its loss to X.

In any case, a first round bye is all wrapped up if the Post is actually right. Worst we can do is 10 and 6 which would tie us with both X and Temple and we own those tiebreaks.

So when it comes to these experts alphabet comes first and head-to-head record comes second. Thats the same logic that had our second place Bills picked to finish 13th and that left Lisch and Liddell off the the preseason all-rookie team. Someone should boast about this stuff on the A10 board. I've refrained from it, because people on this board seem to think I dont know what I'm talking about and that I would make all Billiken fans look bad.

If the round-robin is a consideration, then the advantage would seem to fall to La Salle. Charlotte played Richmond, Dayton and GeeDub and if they lose to Gee Dub, they will have gone 3 and 3 against their round-robin opponents. Even if they beat GeeDub, that would only move them to 4 and 2 and still the third man out if we beat Dayton.

La Salle has a 5 and 1 record already in the can with no round-robin games left. They played Duquesne, UMass and Temple twice and lost on the road at Temple.

We of course beat Xavier twice, and Rhode Island twice and will match La Salle's round robin record providing we beat YouDee on Wednesday.

If all things go as I think they will, and we beat Dayton, Charlotte beats Duquesne and Fordham beats La Salle, our game against La Salle is moot. We will be 11 and 4 going into that and La Salle would be 9 and 6 making the game mostly meaningless as far as conference standings go. Then if we lose that game, and Charlotte loses in DC to GeeDub --- Charlotte has demonstrated an ability to play better on the road than at home and GeeDub will still be without Pops but probably playing for an undefeated season --- we stil get the two based on the head-to-head with Charlotte (I think). But if Charlotte wins, we finish third. Win out and second is a lock.

In any case, I'd like to have two things line up in our favor come the second week in March ... #1) we don't see GeeDub until th efinal and #2) we don't play an Ohio team in Ohio.

First of all, the simplest of items missed my attention, that being the alphabet soup thing. That looks like the answer here and thanks to gister for pointing out that I didn't see the forest for the trees. I can't believe I missed that.

However, the listing by alphabet has nothing to do with the final seedings and in no way should beassociated with the logic that led to a 13th prediction. The listings and the predictions are in no way connected.

Considering the fan club that has been demonstrated to date and sprung up, its no wonder TBD would support Vee ala footsey and Phan. Its nice to have friends flock together. Let me know how the love-in at the V/CBC game goes.

I'll give Vee credit when he deserves it, but for the most part I find him to be wrong. Please note, in his first response in this thread, he said Charlotte was ahead of us because of one more overall win. It was then pointed out that they are where they are due to the alphabet. Yet Vee chose to jump on that response with alphabet criticism rather than saying he got it wrong with the number of wins. I got it wrong because I overlooked the alphabet issue. I noted that. Vee is never wrong.