We're a team on the rise...

SShoe

wow, i always assumed that katz was one of those guys that thought that immediately west of the appalacians were the rocky mountains and there was no inbetween.

we'll have to agree to disagree on that. if he has midwestern roots, he has done a good job of hiding it since becoming an espn reporter/columnist.

I don't mind Katz. Bilas on the other hand.

Bilas is not so bad, but I was watching ESPN late last night and Joe Lunardi made the point of Xavier as a team that is declining. He pointed out how they were swept by SLU as evidence of their decline.

Lunardi won't be impressed until we go up to Philly and whup on St Joe's at the fabulous Palestra.

Well...nobody is perfect. On the whole I would gladly take Bilas and Katz over at least 90% of the people out there. Jay Bilas is terrifc at summer camps btw.

Sure, there will always be an east Coast bias. SLU could in the future(gotta give it time, a few years) could benefit from A-10 coverage.

St. John's a non-ranked Big East team went on the road last week for example and played another non-ranked Big East team, and there was nothing short of TEN New York newspaper articles on the game. TEN.

Philly, NY/NJ etc...beating the big city schools or higher profile schools will draw attention...certainly more than beating Dayton, Xavier etc...That's just the way it is.

Back to the original topic...I can say that sure at times I disagree with Katz' thoughts or opinions on a lot of things. And, he definitely has some favorites....teams, (especially coaches...he likes certain coaches)....etc...but you can do a LOT worse than Andky Katz.

Katz gets respect form me, because he is well educated....had beat covered college teams...and has also gotten out to places all over the land, to see teams...MANY of whom nobody else would see.

Sure his profile, bank account etc...have risen dramatically at ESPN recently...so sure he is a big timer these days. And maybe once in a while he can appear that way...but I can tell you, he has more than paid his dues, ....he knows his stuff...and compared to most is very objective to all teams of any kind.

How many other of those dopes can say that? Roy, I am willing to bet if you sent Katz an e-mail with your comments, questions, observations, complaints,....he would be objective about it.

Bilas...well sure, Bilas is going to stick up for his Dukies....the ACC, and his So Cal native Bruins etc...but Bilas is solid. He constantly tries to increase his knowledge of the game, and he isn't too good for anybody.

As I have said MANY times before, when considering an opinion on someone, I only compare people to those with the EXACT same job....meaning, are you a columnist, a play by play guy, game analyst, studio host studio analyst...etc...

If somebody does different things..then each thing is different for me.

For knowledge of the game, work ethic, objectivity...being likeablle and credible I would take Katz and Bilas over many many others.

My question perhaps better for another thread....or this one would be WHO DO YOU LIKE? or WHO DO PEOPLE LIKE?

if you ever meet him, he's easy to talk to. I walked up to him before the Pete Newell Classic games started and said hello to him. He jumped out of his chair to shake my hand and say hello. I was impressed. Maybe he thought I was somebody important, or maybe he was showing respect to his elders. I think he is a nice guy.

Bilas is fine until Duke is in the picture. Watched some of the UL/UC game tonight and of course he was spending time talking about tomorrow's UNC/Duke game while the other game was in action. I like how Digger's highlighters match his tie.

i have sent katz e-mails on two different occasions and both time he was very arrogant and condenscending with his response and one of the two times he answered it on his column. he isnt a favorite of mine.

my gosh the guy is a duke hall of fame alumnus. i would expect him to bleed blue and take any duke comment he makes with that grain of salt. (i wish our own billiken voices would be so loyal.)

that doesnt mean that the rest of what bilas talks isnt crediable. just ignore the duke comments and bilas is pretty good imo.