Richmond XU

slu72

Like many after the Richmond game, frustration spewed over. That said, we're fans and are entitled. I didn't see a lot of people calling for UB's head though. We're still very patient bunch. What we didn't understand were the rotations and starters. Well, it's time for us to eat some crow. Last night UB proved why he's getting the $$$ to coach and we're sitting at home listening to the radio or watching TV. While many of us, me as well, don't see the benefit of playing VN I guess there are matchups we don't see or understand. So hats off to UB for paying us no attention. A great win last night...great win. XU is good and I don't buy the let down after the UC argument.

as i said after the richmond game, it would be interesting to see who the "scout" coaches have been for each of our games this year.

if there is a majority of losses or wins coming from a certain "scout coach" how could he not be aware of it. if so, the question is, will he do anything about it?

>>What we didn't understand were the rotations and starters.<<

The fact that we won the XU game does not mean that coach didn't make mistakes in the Richmond game ... and, by the same token, getting flumoxed by Richmond first time out puts Brad in a large crowd of solid D1 coaches. Hats off to Brad for righting the ship in a short space of time and having the team jacked up to play Xavier after the debacle at Richmond. Whatever happened between Brad and Tommie at Richmond appears to be resolved (whew!).

I agree that Brad shouldn't be given a pass for the Richmond game. But like our players he is still learning what buttons he needs to push each and every night. Some nights he gets it right, others he misses. I also think it is easier to get the team to buy into what he is selling when the opponent is a top team and not some mid-level team that we are expected to beat. We caught X on the right day. There is no doubt they were experiencing a little bearcat hangover and our boys were jacked up and ready to go. No excuses though, those are the breaks. God knows we seem to have some letdowns.

i remember hearing slick rick pitino being asked about a team getting up for each game. he talked about how the good teams dont need the "win one for the gipper" speeches much. they go out and play to the best of their ability all the time. their is likely so many big game speeches a coach can give and still be effective. god knows you should have to use them on richmond.

my brother said that harry statham rarely gave the big speech. it was all about getting ready in practice. and when you go watch a mckendree college game, harry sits in his chair and watches the game. wooden did the same. sometimes i wonder if today's coaches do too much during the actual games.

i do not think coach soderberg is in this boat, but i think some of the high profile coaches are prancing for the camera's for future recruits.

for examle, i read once that pitino wont sit because he doesnt want wrinkles in his pants more than for coaching reasons. supposedly he does not dress until the last second before coming out in order to enhance the gq look to the fullest.

And I thought that he didn't sit because his skin was pulled so tight after cosmetic surgery that he is unable to do it!

I agree that Pitino has his own style, but some of these other newer coaches who are so animated that I can't help but believe that it distracts the team. I think that the seasoned coaches know when to do it to have an impact.

I think UB has been under better control this season compared to last year (and even then it wasn't too bad). Though from the brief TV shot after DP phantom travel at the end of the game it looked like UB was going to pull a Bobby Knight and launch his chair on the court.

Hey let's combine coaching and referees ... how about that incident in the Houston game where Penders supposedly fainted and the ref T-eed him up thinking he was protesting the ref's call??? Even after Penders was taken off the court for treatment, the ref still upheld the Tee. Can't see Pitnio ever getting down on the floor in his 1K suits.

i just posted on the other board about penders. ramsey just said on kfns that he tried to contact cusa about it and they wouldnt comment until they have a chance to talk to the ref. what the hell is there to talk about? the ref is a either a jerk or an idiot. either way he shouldnt be allowed to carry a whistle ever again.

slu72 stated....."We're still a very patient bunch" ....

I can't believe that quote came off of your keyboard. You my board-friend, are a true Billiken fan, but you have the patience of a very small piss ant.

I agree last night was a great win, but we need to follow-up with wins over St. Joe and Fordham. Brad made the comment tonight on his radio show that his team hasn't been in the Savvis Center since the Bonnies game on January 3rd. The biggest key to this program's future is the on-campus arena....and I don't care if it has 8-9-10-11 or 12 thousand seats. The team needs its own house!

patience of a small piss ant? and that comment/judgement, or lack thereof, is justified by what? Was I calling for UB's head after the UR game? NO. Did I agree with his lineup that game or his rotation, no, but I wasn't calling him an idiot either, like some posters. I don't get the slur, tsueug.