Hey, Billikenputz

How do you think the Blue Crew will be on Wed nite after this game tonight?

Real character by entire team tonite. Luke Meyer with significant minutes, two cool ice water in the veins FT, the seemingly routine late three from KL to seal the game.

How about the fast break basket by Tommie as we batted the ball down the court? Really saw X shoulders slump after that one, as with the IV running jam from the 3 pt line. Two highlight reel plays there.

mhg

How about the fast break basket by Tommie as we batted the

ball down the court? Really saw X shoulders slump after

that one, as with the IV running jam from the 3 pt line.

Two highlight reel plays there.

The running jam changed the whole complexion of the game imo. Prior to the jam Tommie was playing lifeless. He only had two points in the game, he was pulled after being being punked by Justin Cage on two occasions, but after Ian's jam, Tommie got really emotional. He scored the layup, he scored on a fadeaway on their 6'9 center and I think he hit a jumpshot. He also had a nice assist to Ian on a 15 foot jumpshot, a new wrinkle I hope to see more of in the future.

I saw the same thing with tommie. That dunk seemed to put a charge into his game and he played with more energy from then on. I think it is just a talented young player who has to learn to play like Drejaj--with heart and intensity all the time. But he has a lot of time to learn and he is a very nice player now. He and Lisch are a nice team and Luke helps when he is in there because he plays a solid floor game, solid defense and dives for loose balls.

As often happens when the game is on the line, the ball is put in TL's hands at the top of the key. He tries to create off the dribble, and if he does he takes the shot (see the UMass game). If the defense stays with him, then he uses his ability to see the whole court and find an open man. Last night he dribbled the ball to his natural left side, taking it all the way into the corner before firing it out top to KL as the shot clock wound down. KL did then make a nice move to get free for the crucial 3-pointer.

It leaves me wondering why we wait until the waning moments of tight games to see this play. But watch closely and you'll see this happen over and over. When we just have to have a basket at the end of games, the ball always goes to Tommie to start the offense.

JaleJarr, I believe you are Jalen's Dad with a new name. If so, what is the deal with Tommie? As you said in your post, Tommie was lifeless for a good part of the game--and I believe he has played that way for the last few games (except for the last second shot vs. UMass)? How can a player with his potential look as average as he has for much of the past 2/3 weeks. I thought that by this time he would have been a player who was leading this team in many phases. Is he being hurt by playing at the point (inspite of VTIME's) insistence that that is where he belongs? Is he sick? I remember when he was being recruited that many on this Board said he often looked like he was not putting out full effort, when in fact he was. Certainly, he is NOT giving it his all at this time for whatever reason and I was wondering if you could shed any light on the subject.

Again, I count him a a SOPH with regard to experience, based on his year at prep school, and I think a SOPH should have a better idea of the effort required to play at this level.

this has been tommie liddell's M.O. as long as i have watched him play. glimpses of brillance and the ability to take over games, followed by disappearances. whenever he figures this out for himself, we have a winner.

i agree. imo there are a lot tommie liddell's out there. the difference in making it to the next level or not, is consistent dependable production and leadership.

JaleJarr, I believe you are Jalen's Dad with a new name. If

so, what is the deal with Tommie?

This is true.

Tommie was lifeless for a good part of the game--and I

believe he has played that way for the last few games

(except for the last second shot vs. UMass)? How can a

player with his potential look as average as he has for much

of the past 2/3 weeks.

Looking lifeless defensively I have no answer as he wasn't matching the intensity level of Justin Cage of Xavier. Although Cage was much bigger. What I do know is good defense is played by moving the lower body. One of the things I see with Tommie is he is starting to wear down. All the gains he made at Hargrave as far muscle tone have been lost at SLU. Could this be linked to him playing the power forward position and being the team's 2nd leading rebounder? Tommie is a guard. One of the more important thing a guard needs is his legs. Tommie doesn't have his normal legs. On the fast break layup he made in the 2nd half I was surprised he didn't dunk. No legs! As I have often said Tommie is miscast in this offense. He is not a half court player. He is an open court player. I didn't see the 1st half but I know all 6 of his 2nd half points came off of athletic plays.

I thought that by this time he would have been a player who was leading this team in many phases.

You might want to visit slubillikens.com. If not for a stud named Ian Voyoukas Tommie would be leading the Billikens in every major statistical category. Tommie is 2nd in the following categories:

Minutes

Scoring

FG% if you discount Husak's 7/11 fgs

Rebounding

Blocks

Steals

Is he being hurt by playing at the point (inspite of

VTIME's) insistence that that is where he belongs? Is he

sick?

He is not being hurt by playing the point. The offense is not suited to his skills. Prior to the layup vs Xavier, I can't really recall the last true outlet pass made by the Billikens. Tommie not only has to beat his man in the halfcourt offense, but he also has to beat a 2nd and sometimes 3rd defender. When he does pass the ball no one outside of Lisch and Drejaj are making perimeter shots. Take Tommie away from the rebounding and do a little more outlet passing and I think you will see the true Tommie.

I remember when he was being recruited that many on

this Board said he often looked like he was not putting out

full effort, when in fact he was. Certainly, he is NOT

giving it his all at this time for whatever reason and I was

wondering if you could shed any light on the subject.

The effort is there, but it's just like anything else in life when the results are not there. Tommie is struggling with his shot. He is not getting the positive feedback from the offensive end and it may be carrying over to the defensive side. Despite saying this, Tommie is still playing good defense. It doesn't show as well when Tommie is automatically pulled after making a mistake defensively. The coach is inadvertently drawing negative attention to Tommie. So people start going off the wall with comments like Tommie's defense is poor. Whatever. Certainly he is not giving it his all? How can you say this when you consider that Tommie is playing a position he was not recruited to play, he is often giving away size and years of experience to his competition, he is a freshmen who is not getting the benefit of the doubt from the officials, and despite all of this his play has been recognized by Foxsports as Top 10 among all incoming freshmen and he has won or shared the A-10 freshmen of the week 4 times. People praise Lisch for his stellar defensive play(me included) as it is well deserved, but the coaching staff is not asking Tommie to play hard on the ball defense. They are hiding Tommie within the defense to block shots, play the passing lanes, and rebound. When you play risk taking defense as the coaches are asking Tommie to do sometimes your risks don't work out, you get out of position and can look really bad when your man gets the offensive rebound.

Again, I count him a a SOPH with regard to experience, based

on his year at prep school, and I think a SOPH should have a

better idea of the effort required to play at this level.

You have to give the college competition some credit. At Hargrave Tommie's team routinely blew people out. That is not happening at SLU. If Tommie were playing with teammates that were on the level in relation to the competition he faced at Hargrave, Tommie's numbers would be better. The conference foes are taking away the things that Tommie likes to do. It's on the coaching staff to devise a way for Tommie to become more involved. I like the high pick and roll with Tommie and Ian, and a little more outlet passing from our bigs, as opposed to walking the ball upcourt.