ANTHONY DREJAJ

baller44

whats does everyone think about this kid?

my opinion is that he can be an execellent player at this level.

last season he showed flashes of this

2002-03: Made 14 starts and was third on the club in assists at 2.2 apg … popped in 12 points while shooting 50 percent from the field and 66.7 percent from three vs. Minnesota in the NIT … matched his career high with three steals and collected six boards vs. UAB in the C-USA semifinal … set career highs in the C-USA quarterfinal with 27 points on 90.9 percent (10-11) shooting from the field and 83.3 percent (5-6) from three vs. Southern Miss … hit 66.7 percent from the field and 50 percent from three on his way to 15 points at East Carolina and his late triple finished off the Pirates … two first-half treys vs. Charlotte sparked the Bills at Savvis … led the Bills with a career-high seven boards at DePaul … handed out a career-high six assists vs. East Carolina … matched Marque Perry for the team high in assists with four vs. DePaul … led the club with 16 points at Louisville … poured in 19 points at K-State while adding five boards and three steals … pumped in a then-career-high 19 points vs. Grambling while shooting 70 percent (7-10) from the floor and 71.4 percent (5-7) from three … popped in eight points and grabbed six boards at top-ranked Arizona … made his first career start vs. SMS and impressed with 10 points, five assists, five boards and three steals … made his collegiate debut vs. UT-Martin with a basket and a pair of assists.

WHO KNOWS WHAT HE"LL BE DOING THIS YEAR, STRONGER, FASTER, 1 YEAR EXPERIENCE AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL OF COMPETITION, MORE CONFIDENT, ETC........

THE WATCHER ~

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also like Drejaj, I think he has the potential to be a very good ballplayer for the Bills. While you mentioned his statistics, the one thing that I like the most about Drejaj is his hustle. He hustles like there is no tomorrow, if there is a loose ball he either caused it or is on the floor scrapping for it. He is also a nightmare on the big men because he has the ability to sneek up on them and get the ball before they know what happened. The one thing that I didn't like about him last year was his propensity to shoot even when he was very, very cold. While it's true you miss 100% of the shots you don't take I can recall a couple of games he was awful from the field. This was probably just part of the growing up process in NCAA hoops. But even then I'm sure he was a big contributor in other aspects in the game otherwise Brad wouldn't have left him in. It will be very exciting though to see how he's matured and grown in his game.

I think the general consensus on this board is that Drejaj was a steal. He has the drive to be very good. He does need a more consistent shot ... but something tells me this kid worked extremely hard all summer and will make significant improvement.

Lets Play

anthony has definetly worked hard since last year. i seen the team playing pick up ball right before the season started, and this kid has matured physically amd mentally.

to response about his bad shooting days, that was just a freshman who is going to be a great player playing it out. yes he did have some games when i was like "not another brick." but the kid would come back on the next possession and get a steal, defensive rebound, or scrap up a loose ball. thats a player. he has showed that he can fill that basket up also. and he does know how to get open, and last but not least he can pass that rock.his assists will go up dramatically this season and so will his points per game.

go ant dre go mighty mighty billikens, we are the slu crew

THE WATCHER ~

Wow ... that is a statement. I've been following SLU since 1990 and IMHO Marque is the second best Bill in that time ... besides Larry of course.

If AD even approaches Marque's success ...I will be shocked and of course pleasantly surprised. Think of how good Marque could have been if the other team would have had to defend anyone else.

Marque was bumped, hit, held etc... more than any player I have seen when he did not have the ball.

That said ... I hope you are right.

Wow...if you guys are correct, we will be an unstoppable force. I don't see that though and I hope I am wrong. IMO, no way is AD going to better than Marque. Marque was rare and as somebody else posted, was second only to Larry in the later years. I hope you are right about Steve Logan as well, but Logan carried Cincy and was regarded by many elite media as one of the best in the nation. I want AD to be good so bad, but I don't expect him to carry the team or be the go to guy night in and night out. If AD plays with the same intensity as he has, I will be thrilled. Add another year of expereince, and this kid will be pretty good. The only thing I ask for is more consistency from him offensively - and Fisher as well.

Keep in mind, I made the Perry statement knowing that AD has 3 years to grow and prosper as a player...Also, I never saw Coach Brad play, but I am willing to bet he was a scrappy player like AD is and I think Coach Brad really likes that style of play!

Earl Austin put it best during a broadcast last season...Speaking of AD Earl said, "He's got MOXXXXXXIE!!!!!!!!"

i would rank the best billiken player based on one year over the grawer to spoon to romar to soderberg eras as

1. hughes

2. bonner

3. love

4. jeffers

5. perry

6. claggett

7. waldman

8. dobbs

9. gray

10. johnson

if you are looking at a career, no one is better than bonner.

while drejaj will never have the god given explosiveness that marque has, he can shoot the ball better right now than marque ever will. so who knows. i would love to see anthony turn into dan dickau, the fabulous gonzaga point guard from a few years back.

Roy I don't mean to start another Deiner bashing thread but you said the same sort of thing about Drew. AD will be one of my all time favorite Billikens but I'd be surprised if he surpasses Perry as a scoring threat. If you need a solid guard to hound the opposing teams guard to distraction he's your man. If it's down to the last second on the clock I think we'll have better options to create a shot from traffic. Not that AD can't do it but I don't know that that role will fall to him.

i dont think i ever compared drew diener to dan dickau. i may have said he was a better shooter than marque perry and that is still true. however anyone knows that a great shooter has to be able to get the shot off or that great shot isnt worth much. thus, diener will never be in the same world as marque perry.

that all said, drejaj is miles ahead of drew diener in many aspects of the game already. he is quicker, stronger, plays harder longer and without a doubt has much better ball handling skills.

i have not said that drejaj is better than marque. that would be foolish at this point in time. marque is a top 10 all-time billiken. drejaj at this point is a top 10 player on this current billiken team. my point was only to say that drejaj has the fact he has a better shot than marque. that is in his favor in trying to fulfill his potential as a billiken. by no means am i saying he is better than marque.

Marque and AD is not even a good comparison ... they are completely different players. Marque is an undersized 2 who's mainoffensive skill was to break down defenses and score inside (amazingly) in traffic and to occasionally pull up from 10-12 ft. AD is more of a perimeter shooter ...who is quick enough to get to the basket occasionally. I can't remember a Bill who would remind me of AD.

Defensively he reminds me some of John Redden ... very agressive ... gambles a little and physical.

what short memory every has, AD lead the billikens in scoring in the first game of the conference usa tourney. how many points was that again. 90 what percent from the field. what nba player had their mark taken down by him in the tourney. and thats after a first round bye he did this. meaning that he wasn't on a scrumb team and drop these numbers. he was behind alot of people. in matter of fact he came off the bench. what did he score in the second round, i don,t think he had double digits, but he also had a solid nit performance, what was it 12 points four 4's and a junior had two more points then him in the game. i'm not marque bashing or anything like that. but lets just take a look at what type of player that we really have here in AD. this no scrumb, he is no punk, when he's on the floor a difference is made. AD you keep up the good work keep, i'm just wondering what he's gonna be averaging after he starts sinking those free throws this year. watch out casue here comes the A-TRAIN. CHOOCOO

THE WATCHER~

Baller ... you never make any sense ... you just spout off. No one said AD was not going to be good ... But you are not seriously considering him to Marque are you?

Put some numbers up ... what is your prediction for his stats. By the way we all know what he did in the tourney last year and I think every one on this board is a big fan of AD.

We are big fans of AD. The only thing that scares me about AD is his sometimes lack of discipline on offense. At times last year, he gave me flashes of MU's Clarence Gilbert. From what I remember, he tends to be a streaky shooter and the problem with streaky shooters is inconsistency. As someone else mentioned, another year under his belt and more time with Brad should hopefully cure that.

ALL i'm sayin is that AD is better than everyone makes him seem. the numbers that i believe he will put up this year is:

15pg 4-5apg 3 threes pg at least 70 % from the free throw line which would be a 20 point increase from last season. 3-4 steals pg

4-6 rpg now, what do you think his number will look like??????????

THE WATCHER~

I agree with your numbers minus the three's and rebounds. I think Drejaj will have a few games where he will hit 3+ threes, but I don't think that he will average that. I would say more like 1.5 threes per game (average obviously) and 3 rpg. Now that I think about it, 15 ppg could be a little high. I say more around 10....and that is a VERY solid sophmore year IMO.