ANTHONY DREJAJ

baller44

Last year AD was one of my favorite players to watch because of his defensive intensity. He has a smooth outside shot that looks like it will only get better. AD didn't drive to the basket a lot last year with that being Perry's strength. Not sure if he can do this consistantly or not, and if he does, we will need him to get his FT's around 70%, 55% will not do.

I think AD will be fighting for minutes this year. If IO starts and plays the 3, I think AD will be our 6th man behind Fischer & Bryant. I still expect he will play 25+ minutes. I guess I see a bump in his production, but I think 15ppg may be a little high, I think in the 9-10ppg more likely. I would like to see his 3pt shot around 40%, but he was already at a respectable 35%. The keys for AD getting the minutes will be maintaining his defensive intensity, limiting turnovers and improving his FT%, if he can do these things, Brad will find ways to keep him on the floor.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those numbers Baller put AD at least 2nd team CUSA.

I'd say he will be the first gaurd off the bench and will play some at the 1 and the 2. probably 20-25 min per game. His numbers 10pts, 3as, 3 reb, 1.5 3's, 40% from the field, 35% from the 3, 68% from the line. 1.5 stl's.

I would be happy with the above and think it is obtainable.

if our third guard/sixth man is averaging double figures, that will be nothing short of amazing imo. i love drejaj, but judging by the way the lineups seem to be shaping up, i think he will be lucky to average 6 ppg this season.

The reason I thought 10 was ... I think he will get good minutes almost starter minutes and will play the 2 when Reggie is out. I'm sure DC will get some minutes also. I agree 10 will be very good ... I was going to say 8-10 but wanted to be specific so I put the high. 8 wouldn't surprise me but I think 6 is low.

anthony drejaj can score constintly at 15ppg 70-80% from the free throw line. i looked up some of his stats from high school.

heres a little something for everyone to chew on :

Marque Perry post season play senior year as a billiken 41 total points

Anthony Drejaj post season play freshman year as a billiken 42 total points

do i need to put the rest of the post season stats for this super sophmore that we have here at the billiken basketball program.

new nickname super sophmore

lets recognize greatness when we see it. good luck ant dre. keep working your ass off.

THE WATCHER~

...may be rather disappointed.

I like AD a lot. He's very scrappy, and the Billikens need him to play significant minutes, contribute heart and effort, and provide leadership and inspiration. But he doesn't have much upside. He's not very athletic or quick, he can't create his own shot against a defense determined to stop him, and he doesn't handle the ball especially well (he's average). He can make a living as a third or fourth option, knocking down open jumpshots after receiving a pass from a penetrator, but if he's a primary offensive weapon for the Billikens, they're in big trouble.

He'll play a very necessary role and play it well, but he won't be consistently putting up bushels of points. He may occasionally score 20 points as opposing defenses clamp down on Reggie Bryant and Izik Ohanon, but if defenses decide to deny him, he should be passing and screening. I think he'll average around 10 points per game as a senior. This year I project him around 7 or 8 ppg. Last year he averaged 6.9 ppg on 37 percent shooting, but in conference games he averaged 4.8 ppg on 31.6 percent shooting. Sure, he scored 14 ppg in three postseason games, but he shot 55.6 percent, including 56.3 percent from 3-point range. Defenses were increasingly keying (pun intended) on Marque, and Drejaj got hot. That's good, but the Bills were 1-2 in those three games. Besides that, I don't think he'll maintain a shooting percentage over 50 percent for a full season.

AD is plain and simple a gym rat who plays the kind of blue collar ball that his HC likes. He will be a favorite on this website for his determination, strong defensive play, and just plain ovearll hustle. If he adds good numbers on offense then this Bills fan will like him even more.

It be nice if AD had his own fan club. Unfortunately, I don't know who we'd find to be the President. Baller, I wish you liked him a little more, and maybe we'd nominate you. You have to see the potential in players, Baller. I don't know why you insist on beating AD down. What has he ever done to you?

I expect AD will only increase his hard nosed style play and will cement himself as a fan favorite, that said I expect a Diener-like 6.5 points per game.

I expect we will average in the low 60's in ppg as a team and I imagine Josh, Reggie and IO will get close to 37-40 of those each night. Something like 10-15-12. The big men, Sloan and AD maybe totalling 20-25 per night. I see a lot of 62 to 56, tough and competitive games.

>the numbers don't are there. stop hating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>THE KID COULD FLAT OUT PLAY.

Please explain the first sentence (err, fragment/run-on). I have no idea what you mean. Try reading it aloud to yourself so you understand my confusion.

I'm not hating on Anthony Drejaj. I thoroughly enjoy watching him play and appreciate his contributions. The 27-point game against Southern Miss was particularly impressive. AD can definitely play some ball -- within his limitations -- but if you think he could be an all-C-USA type of go-to guy, consistently scoring 15 or more points a game with defenses designed to stop him game in and game out, then you need to lay off of the Kool-Aid.

I agree that AD is an improvement over Diener but don't question his heart and that of his family. His cousin, Travis is a hard nosed tough competitor, as is his brother. Drew's problem was that he never bulked up, never got in great shape and therefore he had limited value. Let's not pick on his whole family!

Those of you saying that Drejaj will score 6 or 8 ppg I think you guys are the one drinking the kool-aid. Drejaj will start first 3 games then go back to the 6th man role when reggie starts playing, even though I think he is better than fischer and should start over him but he wont cuz hes a senior. Drejaj is already totally there with his defense and hustle, hard to improve on that. he will get around 12 ppg 4 apg and 4 rpg and 2 spg while playin 25-30 mpg. if SLU had any big men that could handle his passes down low last year he would have had 4 apg easily.

Anyway drejajs junior and senior year he will be scoring 15-18ppg and wait and see. you people with ur mediocre expectations are gonan be suprised, this kid is not average, he's is athletic and quick and fast and can make his own shot and can drive to the lane and u will see it right away.

go SLU!

>Those of you saying that Drejaj will score 6 or 8 ppg I

>think you guys are the one drinking the kool-aid. Drejaj

>will start first 3 games then go back to the 6th man role

>when reggie starts playing, even though I think he is better

>than fischer and should start over him but he wont cuz hes a

>senior. Drejaj is already totally there with his defense

>and hustle, hard to improve on that. he will get around 12

>ppg 4 apg and 4 rpg and 2 spg while playin 25-30 mpg. if

>SLU had any big men that could handle his passes down low

>last year he would have had 4 apg easily.

>

>Anyway drejajs junior and senior year he will be scoring

>15-18ppg and wait and see. you people with ur mediocre

>expectations are gonan be suprised, this kid is not average,

>he's is athletic and quick and fast and can make his own

>shot and can drive to the lane and u will see it right away.

>

>go SLU!

I believe my history clearly shows that I regularly partake of the Billiken Kool-Aid. However, based on what you've espoused, YOU apparently just drank a gallon of Kool-Aid on steroids!

It seems contradictory for you to say that Drejaj will be a sixth man but then say he'll get 12 points per game this season. I've watched the guy play a number of times now, and I think I have enough foundation to say that I'll be SHOCKED (happy, but shocked) if he averages more than nine points. The other stats you list for AD for this year appear reasonable.

Your description of AD boggles my mind. Maybe you're being sarcastic. I can only hope that's the case. Drejaj is probably the fastest guy on the team in sprints, but he's not QUICK. When we talk about quicks in hoops, we're referring to ability to keep a defender off balance and to explode by with an unexpected quick first step. AD doesn't have that. However, that doesn't disparage him as a player. Nor is AD "athletic," which refers to his ability to jump. The last time I took in pick-up play (when Anthony Bonner was there), I challenged AD to dunk, saying, "I believe you can dunk." He told me that he could when he's warmed up, but it was cool in the gym. It sounded like an excuse to me. Anyway, he subsequently had a breakaway opportunity, and it looked like he was trying to show me his leaping ability. He shot a scoop shot. I held my hands about 10 inches apart and told him, "You need a little bit more" (picture the movie, "White Men Can't Jump"). Seriously, he's not going to be a skywalker. But that doesn't disparage his ability to play and contribute to a winning team (even a championship team).

You seem to be suggesting that unless we have lofty expectations, we're not rooting for a player. That's far from the truth. Realistically, a team isn't going to have 10 15-point scorers. If AD is going to average 12 points this season, then Reggie Bryant is going to average 30 and Izik Ohanon is going to average 25. If you think AD is ever going to average 15-18 points per game in major competitive basketball, then please, PLEASE don't get into scouting/evaluating. But my saying that doesn't mean I'm not rooting for him.

AD can dunk and for a white boy he does have hops. and yes he will never be "quick" like perry was but he has a better shot and AD is built like a tank and not afraid of anyone. He played against people like felton, wagner and telfair in highschool so he has played against talent before. anyway he averead 7 last year and that was with bad shooting from the field and charity stripe. and he will improve that as well as takign a few more shots since perry is gone and from what i hear bryant is more of a team player than perry was. but its ok ill drink my kool-aid u just keep drinkineg ur haterade

>

> Are Baller and Billikenburg the same guy?

If I were a betting man, I'd put money on it. Furthermore, I'd raise the stakes and say that either or both is either Frank "White" Drejaj (what was his number, I wonder -- any chance it was 44?) or Anthony Drejaj himself. AD strikes me as the type who would exaggerate his exploits.

At the aforementioned occasion of pick-up play, AD and I horsed around a bit, with my guarding him (and, trust me, I'm not much of an athlete and even less of a basketball player, though I could play with the average person). I ripped him twice, and he shook me once (but only because he stepped on my foot while making his move and I, naturally, fell down because of it -- and AB said that the bottom line is he broke my ankle: whatever!). Then he "guarded" me once and after a few dribbles, I was able to go right around him.

None of that means anything other than to add more evidence that Drejaj isn't the most physically-gifted player. But one thing I've noticed is that AD hates to lose, and something EVERYONE has noticed is that he's tough and he hustles. Drejaj will contribute significantly to at least one NCAA Tournament team and maybe even a conference champion -- in spite of his "limitations" -- before he's done, but he won't do it by scoring lots of points. "Kool-Aid" for me is a championship-caliber Billiken squad in the next three years; for others "Kool-Aid" is AD scoring 15-18 points per game for a season. Someone's "Kool-Aid" is sludge, and someone's "Kool-Aid" is reasonable. Which is which?

>AD can dunk and for a white boy he does have hops. and yes

>he will never be "quick" like perry was but he has a better

>shot and AD is built like a tank and not afraid of anyone.

>He played against people like felton, wagner and telfair in

>highschool so he has played against talent before. anyway

>he averead 7 last year and that was with bad shooting from

>the field and charity stripe. and he will improve that as

>well as takign a few more shots since perry is gone and from

>what i hear bryant is more of a team player than perry was.

>but its ok ill drink my kool-aid u just keep drinkineg ur

>haterade

To me, the statement "For a white boy [AD] does have hops" is racist at its core and ludicrous. Either he has hops (defined as explosive leaping ability) or he doesn't; you can't qualify it by discussing his race.

Drejaj doesn't have "hops." On the same day, I saw Drejaj come up several inches short on a running dunk attempt and Josh Fisher miss a two-handed dunk off the BACK rim. I've seen Fish take one step and dunk two-handed. They're about the same height; you tell me which one has hops.

I think it's funny when people cry, "You hatin'," when people point out the truth.