3 Point Loss...

Schasz

Well this was another very close loss to a ranked team by our Bills, so I cannot get too down. We are a young team and I believe that it is only time before we start pulling off the wins against ranked teams. I will be interested in how the people who were actually at the game feel, but the stats bear out a very hard fought tough loss. Keep the faith because good things will happen for our team.

Let's hope that Dustin will knock down some threes for us next year, because we haven't been getting it done this year for the most part. We were ice cold from behind the three-point line tonight. I know we were 1-6 in the first half, and Lisch's three in the second half was the only one I can remember.

I had a first row view in the student section of the game...I'm frustrated because thats a game we should have won. The three at the buzzer at the half killed us and Dwayne with 11 sec left in the game dribbling up the court and firing a shot didnt help...would have like to see us try and work the ball in that situation. Regardless, someone has to step up to take control at the end of a game (like Marque did) or else we're in the same boat we were last year, a team that cant finish.

We played an awesome game, but the thing that I think trumps it was that kid Morrison...what a complete jerk. Did anyone happen to catch his sound byte from after the game when we was being interviewed? His quote went something like: I just wanted to make the shot so "I could get the hell out of here." That last part was a direct quote. What a punk (trust me, there are plenty of better terms I want to use). At least our players have a bit of class/respect after their games. It's players like him that ruin a good basketball game...win or lose.

The NBA is all about hot-dogging, so he just needs to get himself there...b/c the NCAA doesn't want him. Talk about a sore-winner.

The three at the end of the 1st half killed!

When is Brad going to design a last shot play??? For those that go to the games we have seen this a number of times over the past few years. Lisch's shot moving down the court with 3 seconds was better then Polk's shot we developed with 15 on the clock.

The 2 foul rule is getting ridiculous. Ian has to play more then 10 minutes in the first half.

Drejaj appeared to be hurt bad.

I have to agree with Mikilasz in that we have to start winning these close games. I know Gonzaga is a top 10 team but we can't keep saying we played them tough/good. A loss is a loss.

We beat this team 6 of 10 times at home. I liked the scouting report we did on doubling their size advantage near the hoop. They have no outside shooters outside of Ravio and we scouted that well. #2 had 6 feet to shoot numerous times and he still wouldn't take it. When he did he usually missed bad. Gonzaga will not go far with their lack of outside shooting.

>The three at the end of the 1st half killed!

>

>When is Brad going to design a last shot play??? For those

>that go to the games we have seen this a number of times

>over the past few years. Lisch's shot moving down the court

>with 3 seconds was better then Polk's shot we developed with

>15 on the clock.

>

>The 2 foul rule is getting ridiculous. Ian has to play more

>then 10 minutes in the first half.

>

>Drejaj appeared to be hurt bad.

>

>I have to agree with Mikilasz in that we have to start

>winning these close games. I know Gonzaga is a top 10 team

>but we can't keep saying we played them tough/good. A loss

>is a loss.

>

Marshall,

I tend to agree. That three with .8 left was too easy.

I was thinking the same thing almost but before the last shot. I said to my buddy "Who takes a three on this team to tie it up with no time left?" I mean I guess Lisch is as good as any one but he was dribbling up court. I don't know if anyone would have been better off. Meyer? Liddell? Polk?

I don't blame Ian too much though. He has no help down low.

I think they had a great defensive game plan. The Zags hit big shots all night. That was the difference.

I know they played close games and lost like this in the past. When will they win? I don't know. I like the effort. We just need more athletes.

I hate moral victories but unfortunately it was like I thought it would be.

I have to agree with Mikilasz in that we have to start

winning these close games. I know Gonzaga is a top 10 team

but we can't keep saying we played them tough/good. A loss

is a loss.

You and Bernie are missing the point. Unlike the Arizona game where SLU played the Wildcats tough with a team full of upperclassmen, SLU played the #8 ranked team in the country to a standstill. A SLU team whose best players are freshmen and sophmore save Ian. SLU will start winning these games when our freshmen and sophmores mature. I thoroughly enjoyed our young guys fighting for the victory, and despite what Morrison may believe, I did not go to the game to watch Gonzaga play. I went to watch our young guys face an early season challenge. SLU is in good shape.

Great game guys, I always love playing another Jesuit school, makes for a good time! I missed whatever this is about Morrison wanting to get the hell of the there, here is the only link i could find to his post game interview.

[http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=ff4e681e-2ad3-40f6-9c69-ba89f8c8dda9&f=copy]

He's a cocky kid, has quite a reputation around campus for that as well. He's gotten into several fights or close fights in games and after games. Not exactly what I like to see from the kid representing my school and, for that matter, other jesuit institutions nationwide.

As for that 3 at halftime, cant exactly blame SLU for not worrying about Doudney, those were his first (and only) points of the year.

Good game though, you really had me scared right up to the buzzer.

... because I haven't heard nor have I seen it so I'm just interpreting but it seems like his statement can be somewhat attributable to some of the issues we discuss when we talk "SLU versus Mizzou" namely tht being Mizzou has everything ot lose, SLU has everything to gain. I think the same thing is here buried in the Morrison quote .... two Jesuit schools, one successful, one rising, one ranked, one not, just another game for one, maybe the biggest game of the year for the other.

Like I said I didn't hear so I'm taking all the emphasis out of how it was said but I don't find it surprising .... Gonzaga was playing ANOTHER game, we were playing FOR THE NATIONAL RESPECT. The meaning of Morrison's statement is not lost on me sans the emotion of the moment.

drejaj played the point on the triangle for most of the first half except when tommie went out for a short span. then drejaj took morrison. it was only 2-3 possessions before drejaj had the injury, but drejaj indeed had morrison p!ssed off. they exchanged some nice forearms. and definitely discussed how they did on final exams and what who was going to be on letterman last nite. it is a shame drejaj got hurt, because i am guessing he indeed would have gotten in morrison's head. of course that could have just set morrison off that much sooner too.

that shot really made me mad. think about it. .8 seconds left. for that time period there is no need to stay in the triangle for that out of bounds play. we have to match up and deny the ball. make them catch that pass beyond the half line. instead the kid got a free shot at the basket.

i dont know what our timeout situation was. i dont recall using the use it or lose it first half timeout and if we didnt, brad should have called a timeout on that play and told them to get out of the triangle for that inbounds pass.

and if we had used it, a college team should have the wits to recognize that situation and not give that inbounds freebee.

the kid can back it up. he is truly amazing.

i give brad credit that he used the triangle defense which basically meant that morrison and ravio would normally have at least two people on them whenever they had the ball. morrison's little stretch near the end of the game was the kind of thing that legends and all americans do.

do i like the taunting? no, but like i said, he backed it up. he was the difference. for a top ten team, take him out of the mix and imo we are every bit as good of a team if not better. i.e. the kid earns it.

nothing like painting a truly great picture for us.

a cute college coed sitting with her dad and together they are cussing out an opposing basketball team.

sounds like an episode for "my name is earl"!

i thought the ian being out would sink us. but i give husak credit. he did a very good job controlling the lane.

probably lucky for us that the zebra's gave batista two cheap fouls as well. (btw, ian's werent cheap. his were stupid. he cant do that to us.)

it is my guess that if brad had let ian play on, few would have had batista in as well. it was a wash.

I agree with you Roy, that play hurt. I was also wondering why the refs didn't give us a timeout before calling the jump ball. We couldn't get a call from Sanzere (the little guy) all game. The second foul call on Ian was brutal, especially since Morrison clearly walked and then Sanzere calls the foul after the basket was made, giving Gonzaga the ball out of bounds.

Also, if that play before halftime occurs in the Cameron, the Duke timekeeper lets that .8 bleed off and you're at the half with the four point lead.

My take ...

JJ ... how about that effort every night.

Bryce ... played well. Needs to get stronger hands and better position down low on offense, but I think we are going to see that Bryce will do good things for us.

Ian ... 2nd foul, horrible call. 3rd foul, stupid. When you are out of position give up the bucket ... don't reach. With that said I'd take Ian over Batista all day.

Tommie ... Tommie's all around game is fantastic. He played well last night. He gets back up after a missed shot for the tip so quick. His pass to JJ for the dunk was sweet.

Kevin ... as normal good D, but we need to find ways to get him open for the 3 more.

DP ... better offensive game, not great but a good all around game.

Luke ... one sweet take to the basket in the 2nd half. He is starting to assert himself ... we will see more from Luke.

Overall I am happy with this game ... we got a look at the end to tie and missed.

Someone said Dp could have run another 6 or 7 seconds off ... we fouled on the board ... there was only 4.8 seconds left, so probably 7 or 8 when he shot it. I agree we should have a better option then DP shooting the 3.

At the end of the 1st half ... we were probably over playing Morrison ... somebody was going to be open they threw the pass across the court ... the kid caught and shot a bomb, with Bryce coming at him with his hands up. No problem ... good shot. Though I don't think it's possible to catch and shoot a 3 in .8 seconds.

We knew our Bills time was next year ... so far this year they have exceeded my expectations as they did last night.

Way to go Bills

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman