Slow starts in 2nd halfs

bauman

cheeseman said,

"Coach has made it clear that DP is his pg and that others that play it at times will strictly be because DP needs a breather or is in foul trouble."

exactly. my observation is that i still dont see what polk brings to the table in excess of what using liddell and or lisch at the point more. he had the great first game in the exhibition game, but since then he has been somewhat of a defensive liability that limits our matchups tremendously due to his size, he has yet to make a three pointer which obviously has the opposing defender the first to double back to ian.

yes he has a good assist to turnover ratio, but i believe liddell would distribute as well if told that was his job.

i love polk's speed. and if we had no other options (think last year) then i would be fine with his undenied position. but when is his defensive liability and his poor outside shooting get questioned?

but I haven't seen Dwayne a a great defensive liability. Didn't he have a couple blocks in the Oakland game? His height is a liability to be sure but I haven't seen him get flat out beat like I have Tommie from time to time. I haven't seen him turn into a fouling machine the way I have Kevin from time to time. I think all of them are terrific but a case could be made for all of our guards to be playing at nearly any time. I have NEVER seen Brad change his starting lineup between halves barring injury. If the best players for the plan start the first half, they'll start the second half too.

as to who starts the 2nd half.

I would guess the game plan dictates who starts the game along with countless other factors, so if the game plan says these 5 give us the best chance of success you start these 5.

If at half time the coaches still believe in the game plan (and why wouldn't they, they came up with it??)

is the coach trying to stay with the original game plan? so no change

is the coach tweaking his original game plan but with the same personnel?? so no change

This will be something I will try to notice, do the same 5 start both halves.

according to the box score,

http://slubillikens.collegesports.com/spor.../121105aaa.html

he did not have any blocks. he did have a steal though.

i think if the two players are reasonably close in height and size, then polk indeed does do well against that player. however, rarely does he match up sizewise against more than one player or so. it then makes switches and matchups difficult to manuever.

One has to think UB is more comfortable with DP and his assist to to ratio than with KL's ability to put the ball in the hoop. If DP's done anything outstanding this year it's protecting the ball. For KL to have a pointless night is no big deal. Why he only played 14 min who knows...well UB knows. Maybe the situations matchups etc just weren't in the stars. That said , and granted I've only seen one game, I think our best guards are KL, TL, and AD. Any of them can play the point. KL and AD (finally) can shoot from the perimiter. TL can slash and dish. DP was taken out of the UNC game not because of fouls but because we were doing squat on offense. DP brings more speed but since the first game and the exhibitions it ain't like we're rocketing up and down the floor right now getting a lot in transition...we got no fast break points against UNC. Also, I don't see his speed or quickness getting him layups inside ala Dee Brown of Ill. Right now I happen to think KL provides us more offense than DP and he's a better defender. His plusses outweigh DP's.

I must assume you did not listen to the game because our announcers were saying that not only were the refs horrible but the official stats guy had stolen at least two blocks from Polk. Dwayne has had two fantastic defensive games against guys who just had put up huge numbers--the kid from Oakland and the SIU guard. He is in no way a defensive liability. Clearly, every player on the team will have good and bad moments on defense. Kevin's man, a walk on, several times beat him off the dribble in the UWM game but that does not diminish my admiration for his guts and determination on defense. Why are we having this debate coming off a big win on the road? Would it be better to lose and have Kevin play more minutes? He WILL get his opportunity. Yikes!

72 - DP was taken out of the UNC game in the first half because he had two fouls - at least that is what the announces said. You are correct you have seen only one game and I understand that where you live is the factor for that - I applaud you going up to Chapel Hill. That being said, I have seen every home game and all the televised games and while the first half at UNC were not DP's finest moments, he acquitted himself in the second half and has played well for the most part. Before anybody says this is off the topic let me point out that it is difficult to discuss this topic since it requires people to express their thoughts by supporting with examples of specific players which by the very nature causes people to respond to the examples. So far, given the topic in IMHO, all the responses were topical.