Recruiting Analysis Off the Top.....

Triangle has been away ---but.

1. When was the last time 3 local recruits hit it on the head - anywhere - nationwide? Answer - Never.

2. When tuning in ESPN, ESPN2 or FOX Sports watching college basketball, - how many teams have you EVER, EVER seen play with a 5'9" point guard? Tournament success? Quiz -names?????

3. TL has not named what Juco he will attend - grades!

4. Meyer is far and above the best recruit of the class. A combo of Highmark and Sloan and quicker than both. so it goes......

1. The class of Highmark, Claggett & Winfield was 3 solid local recruits, unfortunately Winfield transferred so we didn't get to see the class stay together. It is rare that a recruiting class has 3 local recruits also, so it therefore also unlikely to find classes where all 3 "hit it on the head"

2. Steve Logan was a pretty successful player, Tyus Edney won a National Championship. Not sure what the programs listed their heights at but they were probably 5'9" or very close to it.

3. Since CUSA allows partial qualifiers, I would expect at worst Liddell would come as a partial qualifier, but hopefully he will be playing next year.

4. Meyer does sound like a very good player, I think all 3 will be getting good minutes next year and play a major role on the team.

Welcome back, hope you stay a while.

3-star

great list, but may i also add

khalid el-amin (5'10" and about 210 pounds)- point guard of a national championship uconn team.

t.j. ford (i believe he was the national player of the year last year for a final four texas team)

jason gardner (5'10" shooting guard) on a arizona final four team. Too, you are really slipping badly if you forgot that one. gardner wasn't even a point guard.

travis ford 5'7" - point guard of kentucky final four team and mvp of the south regional in 1993

speedy claxton 5'10" - sparked the spurs to the nba title (oh, that's the pros, my bad)

avery johnson 5'10" starting point guard for spurs championship team in '99 (oh, that's the nba again, my bad)

question: did kelvin sampson recruit a 5'7" point guard to take hollis' price place?

adonis jordan 5'10" - roy williams did pretty well with this runt. how about an appearance in the ncaa championship game.

let me also take you back into the time machine. n.c. state won the national title with a 5'4" point guard. his name was monty towe.

how about the boston college team of '82 that made it to the final eight in st. louis with the towering backcourt of 5'11" john bagley and 5'8" michael adams.

ucla just got by in the 60's with three ncaa titles with 5'9" mike warren at point guard.

triangle and not Too insightful,

I think this little list covers about five decades of small guards who got it done

we won't even get into those guards who were generously listed at 6'0" such as Greg Anthony, Bobby Hurley, Michael Jackson. what do they have in common. little point guards of ncaa championship teams.

bad boyz for life

-Allen Iverson

-Dee Brown of Illinois (who is listed at 6' but is closer to 5'10")

-For next year, Memphis and U Conn have both signed top 30 recruits who are about 5'10 (Darius Washington and AJ Price, respectively)

Aaron Hutchins of Marquette (was in the 5-6 to 5-8 range);

Earl Boykins of Eastern Michigan - 5-5 and he's in the NBA now);

Oklahoma did recruit a shorty to replace Price - Andrew Lavender at 5-7.

If anyone keeps old Sports Illustrateds in their 1997-98 College Basketball preview they did an 6 foot and under all-america team.