Breakout year for Polk?

VTIME

While everyone is raving about Liddell and Lisch, people forget that four guys on the SLU roster were on that 2004 all-metro team lisch, meyer, liddell, and polk, but Polk was the 2004 all-metro player of the year. The only player on that team that slu didnt sign was xavier price who now plays for western illinois. Playing Polk at sg will allow him to return to his old form. Western Illinios by the way has former area players Lorenzo Taylor and Xavier Price, and just recently signed Hazelwood Central guard Morris Smith. Why is Western Illinois recruiting the area about as good as SLU. Illinois State has signed Lorenzo goron and Bobby Hill the last two years and appears to be creating a pipeline with Vashon.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

probably because derrick thomas is the coach. derrick can have all the second choices that dont want to play defense he wants as far as i care. if he thinks that translates to success, good for him.

Say it slowly ... P-o-l-k i-s a p-o-i-n-t g-u-a-r-d.

You are probably the only guy in the country who thinks different. If Tommie ends up being the starting pg ... it will be because Danny is the starting 3.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

although i can forsee many situations where our new supposed running game will show that we may have up to three point guards on the floor at any one time. With DP, KL, TL, and AD all ABLE (able being the key word!) to play the position on the move it is not unlikely to see whomever has the ball to fill that position and the others fill passing lanes down the court.

skip count me as in agreement with vtime on this one. imo, one of the biggest keys to as much billiken success as possible is liddell having the ball and letting him create. it would be different if liddell didnt have the skills or mindset of a point guard, but he has the most skills and ability as a point guard. liddell should have the ball.

maybe the argument should be whether polk plays. if you dont see polk as a wing, maybe the true best lineup configuration is liddell as the point and lisch, brown, meyer and drejaj as wings with polk as the back up point guard. the more we get into it, the more i believe it.

Polk's freshman year in high school, Jesse Akins was the pg.

His sophomore year Jimmy McKinney ran pg to get ready to play it at Mizzou.

His junior year James Washington was the starting pg, with Donny Jackson playing the rest of the minutes. Polk only played 12 games and all at off guard.

His senior year Washington was again the starting pg. Washington has started at Vashon since day one. Polk is not a pg. He is a pg in height only. He is a sg. SLU is fortunate enough to have a really big pg in Liddell to play alongside a small sg in Polk.

SLU 2005-2006 Starting Lineup

C Voyoukas ..............Guards the opposing C

PF Johnson/Meyer.........Guards the opposing PF

SF Lisch.................Guards the opposing SG

SG Polk .................Guards the opposing PG

PG Liddell...............Guards the opposing SF

Roy - the more I think about it the more I have come to the conclusion that this team will have 4 pgs. It won't matter who brings the ball down because whoever has it in their hands will be free to create either for themselves or others by passing. Who will be the pg - moot point - no pun intended.

Wow! Four point guards on the floor .... running and gunning ... I seem to recall that fastbreak, open court, phi slamma jamma basketball was based on either the steal or the outlet pass post-defensive rebound. I also seem to recall that dunks and fastbreaks are not the usual staples of a Saint Louis Billiken game plan recently. I sure as hell hope all that is a-changing. Can't wait for the season to begin and the speculations to end. C'mon Maryville ....

It doesn't matter what he did in HS. He has graduated. He is in college. He plays for the SLU Billikens. Their coach Brad Soderberg has stated that he will be the starting point guard.

He doesn't have the body to play the wing in D1, and he won't.

Now whether TL or DP should be the starting pg is a different arguement. DP is a pg in D1 college basketball ... to think he can play on the wing is ridiculous. What skills do you want from your 2 guard and wing. What are DP's best attributes. They don't mesh. IF was 5'9" and 200lbs and could get to the hole and finish ... maybe, but that is not DP.

Roy ... your argument seems to be that TL ... should be the starting pg ... that is a different argument. If so that leaves LM, AD, DP, KL, and DB as your remaining guards. Who do you play at the 2 and who at the 3, and why. If DP would be the 2, who would be the 3. If DP would be on the wing ... why? what does he bring to the table that would have you put him there over the others?

Taj79 - I never said there would be 4 pgs on the floor at the same time - what I said was this team will have 4 players that will play like a pg sometime during the game. I am not an advocate of playing a 4 guard system except for very short spurts and if the situation calls for it.

It will be a breakout year for Polk if he can get into the lane with strength and consistency on penetration...for comparison sake...a Nate Robinson if you will. And two, consistently shoot the long or at least medium jumper. He has the speed, experience, etc...

He has to "at least" do one or the other of the above to make a major impact or have a break-out year.

personally, to be real honest, i now believe that polk shouldnt be the starter. i would take danny brown and kevin lisch as my wings.

however, i have great respect for polk's flat out athleticism and i believe him getting out and filling a lane on the break is a viable option as well and it wouldnt break my heart to have dwayne polk in the game at any time. from all the encouraging words i keep hearing about drejaj, it sounds like our guards no matter who is playing will be a good choice.

skip uab has been very successful with a wing the stature of dwayne polk in that finley kid. as long as the point guard has the ability to guard the bigger player (i.e. i think having two very small guards would be a problem defensively) i dont see where it is any worse to have him offensively on the wing.

On a break ... why would you not prefer to have the ball in DP's hands and TL finishing ... DP is not strong going to the hole.

Out of a half court offense ... what attributes would you like to see your wing have? ... how about your pg?

What are DP's attributes? how about the rest of our guards?

He doesn't have the strength to be anywhere near like Nate Robinson. He is weak going to the hole in traffic ... he can't get to the basket to finish. If you watch him he usually goes around the defender and flips the ball at the basket and not with a great percentage. He hasn't proven the ability to shoot well at the D1 level either.

It seems most people want DP to be something he is not.

The question is not who is the better pg TL or DP. The question is how to utilize them both on the floor together best.

but what the hell aren't we all? I'd like to see the starting lineup be TL at pg, KL at sg, DB at #3. On the surface, this appears to give us the most athletic and skilled starting lineup. TL at pg will cause match up problems, KL has been rumored to have the best shot beyond the arc and is a tenacious defender, DB is talked about being the most athletic on the team, quick, got hops, strength to get rebounds. We need him help our weakness at the 4. And at 6'4" or 6'5" few teams will outsize him at the 3. DP will still get his minutes either as backup pg or at #2 (if he really is a sg in the Marque Perry mold-remember he wasn't a pg either). Problem with DP is defense, of course he could guard the pg when he's on D. AD and LM play as needed. The above is all based on reports from you observers and do not in any way reflect the opinions of UB or coaching staff, which I am sure they will be glad to hear.

Liddell without the ball shouldn't get beat by Polk with it. You don't have to be a great passer on the break ... just fundamentally sound. Polk passes fine on the break. I want Tommie finishing not Dwayne.

Again ... what do you want your wing to do for you?

Good for UAB ... I wonder why 99% of D1 schools don't have a 5'9" 150 lb? wing?

Tommie may be a better passer than DP ... he may even be a better pg. the question is still how to utilize them on the floor together the best. Hmmm ... I wonder what Brad thinks?

I wouldn't mind that starting 5.

but it seems to me that UB thinks DP brings something to the table that says he needs to be in the starting 5 ... I bet he gets at least 25 min a game. It isn't due to his ability to get the ball to the hole and finish, it isn't due to his incredibly good perimiter shot from the 3 ... it isn't due to his pull up jumper. I wonder what it is? Why doesn't UB just sit him down?

and why cant tommie finish on the break if he has the ball? is there a rule that says the man with the ball can never go coast to coast?

second, i am not sure if polk can be beat in a sprint even if he is dribbling the ball and the other guy is not!