Arena Update--from the Business Journal

davidnark

For those of you who don't subscribe to the business journal and didn't catch Billkan's post before the server's switched, there was a big article about the SLU arena in Friday's business journal. The full article should be available online for free on Monday, but in the meanwhile here is a brief summary:

-To date, SLU has raised $22 million, which is up $10 million in eight months

-SLU is in "active discussions" on the naming rights.

-A number of prospects could push the total number to more than $30 million within the next few weeks

-Biondi, Jeff Fowler (VP of marketing), Steve Peterson (VP of development), Levick, Shimmy, and Brad have been regularly meeting with potential donors

-"At the current pace, the university expects to break ground next spring." (This should mean it would be finished in time for the 2007-2008 season.)

In separate business journal articles, Mike Shanahan Jr. and Tony Novelly are listed as part of separate groups interested in buying the St. Louis Blues. Why do we care? Because Shanahan has committed over $1 million to the SLU arena and is chairing the fundraising for the board, and Novelly is expected to also be a very large donor to the SLU project.

Our inept beat writer Tom Timmerman pulled this information for the Sat Postpaper as well....and had to list that the information came from the Biz Journal. Whats sad, is that this isnt a really hard story to follow...simple journalism, but Timmerman is more concerned with soccer than actually following the only D1 school in the city.

I'm slowly coming around to Roy's thought that since all he cares about is soccer, we have really been given the short end of teh stick when it comes to hoops by the post.

i sent larry stark ([email protected])

the following e-mail today:

"Saw today where Timmerman actually quoted the Business Journal on a story about the progress of fund raising for the arena. (duh, his job is to read other periodicals and then reprint them?)

Either Timmerman is the worst/laziest beat reporter in the history of newsprint, or else the Post Dispatch just doesnt care about the Billikens.

Stu Durando turned out to be the best Billiken beat reporter St Louis had seen since the day of Dave Dorr. One would think the Post would at least have enough respect for the only Division I college in the city to properly select his replacement and then report accordingly.

If you truly are reporting first on the city of St Louis, then report on St Louis.

Interestingly enough, I recently e-mailed Timmermann in something unrelated. He wrote that SLU soccer was unranked in pre-season poll in Soccer America. The way he wrote it acyed is if there were no other polls. In fact pre-season SLU is ranked 20th and 25th in two other polls, including the highly respected Adidas Coaches poll. It was as if he didn't do enough homework.

it was on the 2nd page and was the first thing I noticed after I opened the page.

I know everyone here hates the Post but why do we bash them when they actually put out info on us, even if it is just a summary from a different place? It would be fine to bash if there was no report but when they actually do report its hard to complain.

the rip on this specific item is first, do you really believe that the first progress report on the arena in ages in the post belongs on page two buried with bullet reports from naia schools from 200 miles away? second, look at the content of the story. my gosh, did timmerman even talk to anyone at slu? honestly it looks like he just used the business journal report to write his piece. we did stuff like that in 5th grade book reports.

yeah something is better than nothing. but accepting that as ok is akin to getting served a poop sandwich and then telling your host, "thank you may i have another."

There are several dangling questions as to the way that story was reported. First, did the BizJournal reporter initiate it, or did SLU pitch it to the BizJournal? If the reporter initiated it, it certainly would have been a story that we could have initiated as well.

In any event, as the "newspaper our record," our mission should be to break news, not repeat it. It'll be interesting to find out how others in the newsroom view our newfound practice of quoting the Business Journal.

In defense of the Post, they were just crediting the Biz Journal for breaking the story, but they had new information also. Naming rights to the arena is being pursued. Therefore, the Post, as I see it, credited another paper for breaking the story, then added new information. This appears to be honest journalism.

joe, even if slu "pitched it" to the biz journal, if i was in charge at the post, i would be wondering why? timmerman, stu, bernie, someone at the post should have an established relationship such that when the thought comes up at slu to get this out to the public it is that post contact they think of first to "break the news".

now is that all the post's fault? probably not. i have been screaming for years that no one at slu does anything to facilitate that relationship either.

last, even if there is no relationship, shouldnt as the beat reporter, timmerman be beating the bushes to get that information? even if the biz journal breaks the news, is there an enhanced version of more interviews with different people that timmerman could have kicked out to the public?