2005 B-Ball Attendance

SLUBALLS

i dont think lisch and liddell make a significant difference in attendance. we didnt see any difference last season with polk and meyer coming in.

winning will though.

i believe our attendance proves that st louis is nothing but a fair weather city.

we average 15-18k between the claggett-hughes years. we fall off in wins and we lose almost 50%?

personally i dont care. those fans dont deserve to be there anyway. nothing makes me more mad than for example to be at a cardinal game and after puhols bats half a row of young dinks head back to the back to drink and smoke. they couldnt care less about the cardinals they are there to be seen because it is the in thing to be seen at.

it was and is the same for the billikens. that is why i couldnt care less how big this new arena is. hell let's make it a 9k palace pit and lock the johnnie come lately sob's out. wouldnt bother me one bit.

i agree with butch. we have had zero promotional help all summer from inside the athletic dept and zero help from our local media. you cant sit yourself on a stool in the middle of an open field with a bucket and expect a dairy cow to just trot over and start giving milk.

blue and white, what is your opinion of lisch and liddell and what they can contribute considering the inconsistencies that our nice freshmen last year had?

From you regular attendees I get the feeling we pull 6,500-7,000 regulars a game. These attend no matter what, correct? TL and KL may pull a few extras from across the river but not enough to make a noticable difference. Stays the same until we win regularly, SLU comes up with some really neat promotions, or the PD gets on the bandwagon and says it's an exciting team you should be there.

I have never seen Lindell play so I have no opinion of what he can do. From what everyone else says he is going to be unbelievable. Lisch has an unbelievable shot and can get himself open. BUT the biggest problem with Lisch that I have is that he is going to struggle seeing over the guy that is guarding him. Polk has the same problem. All and all I think that they will be able to contribute this year. I feel like some of the players that got a lot playing time last year will not see as much time due to the talent of these two players.

If anything it will be lower to start the year cause last year's team was miserable. St. Louisans don't follow the Bills close enough to know or care who Liddel and Lisch are. If we start winning, maybe a little bump.

A win against Gonzaga or North Carolina though, that would increase attendence a good amount, especially if we are playing well...otherwise, expect the same old thing.

I'm not excited about the coverage SLU gets either, but how can the PD claim that SLU is an exciting team that everyone should come and see when they were 9-21 last year, lost to Austin Peay, and were only able to break 60 a couple of times? You have to earn some of the good coverage you'd like to have.

no one is asking them to make up information or opinion. but they could cover the team. for example:

i think a story reporting on these summer games that included the likes of larry hughes, darius miles, justin love, etc would have been a very interesting story. in that story, questions could have been asked of the above stars of their opinions of lisch, liddell, polk, etc.

isnt it interesting that we (billikens.com) broke the st charles story weeks ago? why doesnt the post break any billiken stories?

many on this board have been lauding what a fabulous thing it is that ian is having this great international play summer. one would think that could have been covered in a story.

while the post did put a blurb in a couple of months ago that dustin maguire has verballed to slu, a better more detailed story was never followed. considering dustin is also involved in transferring schools and apparently will end up at probably the top large school this next year on the metro east side of high school basketball, how is that not a story.

anyway, no one is asking the post to make up stories, but one would think there could be interest in the only division I program in the metropolitan area. yet we get as much coverage as the st louis prospects select baseball team.

It is human nature to follow a team more closely when they are winning. That is true no matter where you go and no matter what sport you are looking at.

The Cardinals drew very well in the 90s despite being a bad team the majority of the time. Yes, attendance was higher during the McGwire years but attendance was still very strong in the early 90s when we sucked.

The Rams have sold out every game in 11+ years -- and some of those seats up top are awful.

The Blues still draw better than most hockey franchises despite not making the Stanley cup in 30 some years.

The Bills have a core fan base of 6,000 - 7,000. To truly increase that fan base we need to win for a prolonged period of time. 2 year flashes in the pan may lead to single years opf great attendance but they won't make lifelong fans. p.s. don't forget the Hughes year was artifially inflated by 1k due to the Illini game.

or you could say that the cost of maintaing a much smaller arena both from an operations standpoint and a finance standpoint will be much less as well.

i thought fordham has one of the up and coming teams in the conference? if they get off to a fast start, that might be a huge game. i would think st bonnie would be the stinker conference game. we are lucky that lasalle and duschene are on the road.

It's funny even here in Charleston the CofC probably gets some ink once every two weeks during the summer. Granted, CofC doesn't have major league teams to compete with, but Clemson and USC football and NASCAR get plenty of space yet they still manage to sneak in there. I think the stories Broy mentioned would have some real interest especially since two NBA'ers are involved. As it stands, very few in ST.Louis realize we have the two major talents to come out of the Metro area suiting up for this year. Pity. Just what does our new beat writer cover in the summer?

by january they may be 12-2 and ranked in the top 25. if so, one would think that would bring people out. if they are not, then i agree. it would draw like a game against drake or evansville.

Whoa. Tell that to the gems over at TSN who have repeatedly dubbed St. Louis as "SPORTS CITY AMERICA" or whatever the hell they call it. You want a sports city?? hop on a flight to LaGuardia and take in a Yankees afternoon matinee and a Knicks game that night. Cap it off with a cab ride back to Times Square after a round (or eight) with some chums at O'Shea's on 88th street with a cabbie from Tora Bora, Afhganistan, and that, my friends, is sports city USA.

I have not seen any interesting stories written this summer about the USF Basketball team in the local sports fish wraps. This is with a horrible MLB team that does get its fare share of publicity in the sports pages.