Larry Hughes.....................interesting

VTIME

You see people wearing Magic Johnson's Michigan State throwback jersey and Carmelo Anthony's Oak Hill and Syracuse jersey. When are we going to see the Larry Hughes jersey from his time at Saint Louis. I'd go get it in a heart beat and pay top dollar for it. I wanna rock a Larry Hughes SLU throwback. Did SLU sell them when was playing? Is there anyway for us to get our hands on one? Does SLU have to give a company permission to print their name on the jerseys? Whats the deal

Unless he graduates forget about it. SLU has those type of standards in regards to valuing academics just as much as athletics. Larry stayed for one year and hasn't been back since, that doesn't warrant retirement.

I know for a fact that Dwyane Wade's MU #3 will never be given out, BUT will not be hung in the rafters until he earns his degree. Mayland retired Steve Francis's number a few years back and took a lot of heat and ridicule for it since he was there a year (or was it 2?) and didn't graduate.

As for throwback jerseys, I believe Mitchell and Ness produces them for colleges and nike for high school jerseys.

i am the biggest larry hughes fan in the world. but you dont retire one and done jersey numbers. retired numbers are for program makers like ed maccauley or anthony bonner.

kid, you may know a whole bunch of names of hs kids who can dunk and show boat, but you don't know SQAUT about Billiken basketball or life.

Sit back and read, learn, then open your mouth. There is a whole lot more to the history of SLU basketball than what you have seen in your short time watching TV.

To have your jersey retires requires more than one season at the school, and winning one game in the NCAA. It is the total contribution.

Every time you open your mouth, the world learns the emptiness that lies behind your tongue.

mhg

If you are referring to me have a blank brain, maybe you could do some homework and realize that the brain located above the tongue. His overall contribution was briefly taking a team headed nowhere to the second round of the NCAA tournament. They did nothing the year before him or the year after him with a lot of the same players. If not for Kenyon Martin getting hurt in the C-USA tournament, SLU wouldnt have made it in 2000, and you realize that even thought it was just for one year, his career measures up well to many of the top SLU players ever who stayed longer.

V~

As much as I truly enjoy the fact that you do bring discussion to the board (good and bad, but discussion nonetheless), I really must agree with the others this time. I truly loved the magical season that Larry brought to us and hope that we something similar to it again in the upcoming years, but one year does not a retired jersey make. Also, the academic issues bears quite a bit of importance as well. You simply cannot give that honor to someone who was physically here less than 12 months. Sorry to disagree with you but as good as he was, he will have to remain a SLU legend without his jersey in the rafters....unless he gives a chunk of that new contract to the new arena :)

another example of your billiken ignorance. spoon told us all that larry had promised to stay until at least his sophomore and likely his junior season. when larry unexpectedly left, it actually cost us a couple of very good recruits and spoon quit after one more season and mentioned it was a huge contributing factor that larry did not live up to his word.

i agree he had the skills to go when he did, but that doesnt make saint louis university embrace him for his early exit that likely did more harm to our program's progress than good. had he stayed until his junior season, it would have rewritten billiken history and likely cost us a probable run in the ncaa tourney and who knows how it might have affected future recruiting.

i.e. you see a one and done good season, the rest of us only remember he derailed the train. i.e. no retired jersey.

He didnt hurt us more than he helped? That's just crazy. Spoon knew that Larry could've come out of high school and didnt realistically expect him to stay, but he's not supposed to just come out and say that to the public. Things that hurt SLU are recruiting misfits like Randy Pulley, Jason Edwin, and Floyd McClain.

another example of your ignorance of billiken history. the billikens rpi had climbed to the low 30's by the time they were facing cincy in the cusa tourney in 2000. and since they were playing the number one ranked cincy team, even a loss to cincy would not have sunk their rpi below 40. go back and tell me how many sub 40 rpi teams dont get ncaa invites.

p.s. at the time when martin fell setting his illegal screen, the billikens were winning the game. justin love was on a mission that week and i believe they would have won regardless. it was obvious that the bearcats had nothing to play for from the moment they entered the arena. they had nothing to play for.

At the time, the Bearcats were #1 in the nation and had a monster team with Jermaine Tate, Pete Mickael, Demarr Johnson, and Kenny Satterfield in the starting lineup. The sixth man was Steve Logan, who late became a first team all-american. SLU was not going to win that game. And their RPI was nice, but their record certainly wasnt.

mikeal btw was one of the recruits that didnt come to slu because hughes went pro.

now back,to your non response. please detail for me sub 40 rpi teams that dont get invites to the ncaa.

you wont find many. slu was in regardless of that game.

and btw, i was in the second row of that game and saw the look on the faces of those two teams. cincy was not going to win that game that day. even with martin. they did not come to play and love did.

Yes a team with two healthy top 6 picks in the 2006 draft wouldnt have won that game. If you believe that I have some magic beans I would like to sell you. SLU didnt even pull away without Martin out, they escaped with a victory. And I was cheering for SLU.

upsets happen all the time. especially in conference tourneys. you get more stupid each day. you may have been rooting for slu, but you were here listening to a radio. i was at the game and saw it for myself.

the reason slu didnt pull away imo was that martin's injury actually kind of woke the bearcats up. and they played much better after the injury. however, as i said, love was marvelous. he was not going to lose.

Love was marvelous especailly in the conference championship game. My house went crazy when he layed the ball up at the buzzer. I dont however think SLU would've won that game with an injured Martin. He was the most dominant player in college at the time and could've had his way with Tatum, Baniak and Heinrich.

again the above post shows if you dont know something about a subject you make it up. actually the championship game was the worst game of the tourney for love. the player of the game in the championship game was john redden. love got them to that game, but came down to earth in the final.

>

>p.s. at the time when martin fell setting his illegal

>screen, the billikens were winning the game. justin love

>was on a mission that week and i believe they would have won

>regardless. it was obvious that the bearcats had nothing to

>play for from the moment they entered the arena. they had

>nothing to play for.

first off, didn't Martin get injured very early in the game? You can't say SLU was definitely going to win just because SLU was up with 30+ minutes to go.

And wouldn't a loss have put them at 500? Even winning 4 games that weekend they only got a 9 seed, which leads me to believe without winning that tourney they don't make it with an at-large.

Nobody thought Larry was going to be a one and done. Larry played above everybody's expectation that year. We all thought he'd be great, but freshman of the year was not something we thought would happen. Most SLU fans even figured he'd probably stay another year after his first season. Even he made comments that suggested he would stay another year. To say slu knew he would be there for only one year is ridiculous.

>

>>

>>p.s. at the time when martin fell setting his illegal

>>screen, the billikens were winning the game. justin love

>>was on a mission that week and i believe they would have won

>>regardless. it was obvious that the bearcats had nothing to

>>play for from the moment they entered the arena. they had

>>nothing to play for.

>

>first off, didn't Martin get injured very early in the game?

> You can't say SLU was definitely going to win just because

>SLU was up with 30+ minutes to go.

>

>And wouldn't a loss have put them at 500? Even winning 4

>games that weekend they only got a 9 seed, which leads me to

>believe without winning that tourney they don't make it with

>an at-large.

We'll never know if Slu would've won, but I was at that game and they were taking it to UC right from the opening tip. The Bearcats were getting crappy guard play like they typically do around tournament time. They also didn't have much to play for. That SLU team had a mix of athletic and physical players like Love, Redden, Tatum, Heinrich and Jeffers who weren't intimidated by UC's physical style. So much of UC's game is based on intimidation and if you're not, they can beat.

Even if SLU had lost to DePaul in the conference final, they would've had a good shot at getting a bid. I believe they had an RPI around 35-40 before that game. It would be surprising if one win or loss would take you from a #9 seed to out of the tournament.

Are we sure that he would have been academically eligible his sophmore year? I had heard rumors at the time that grades may have had an impact on his decision to leave earlier than he may have hoped.

I have absolutely no inside knowledge on his academics but I do know that I lived in his apartment building and he was almost always walking to his 9 AM classes around the same time I was. If he was doing poorly it wasn't b/c he didn't go to class.

Often times I think rumors like that are started with no factual basis and fit a stereotypical mold. Similarly, I heard many rumors about the tricked out ride he had but I can assure you I saw the car he drove before he declared and it was nothing special.