Is Kramer Soderberg in SLU's 2008 recruiting class?

VTIME

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brad says that Kramer has to demonstrate first, of course, that he's able to play at that level. He was surrounded this past year with a lot of experienced seniors, so it'll be interesting to see how he does next year with a new group. Surely, Kramer needs to do what's best for him and be certain he wants to play for his dad. Brad played for his, so he knows the pitfalls involved.

That said, I think it would be terrific for that to happen. If he continues to progress, he's gonna be one heck of a player.

I think a kid playing for his dad does a dis-service to the kid at the college level. The cloud of nepotism always hangs over the kids (unless the kid is just all-world). I would be against it as bad for Kramer and bad for the team (throws a weird vibe into the relationship between the coach and the other players).

I undestand that argument, but let's look at a few examples of father son tandems that flourished: Dick Bennett/Tony Bennett- Saul Smith/Tubby Smith- Sean Sutton/Eddie Sutton- Homer Drew/Bryce Drew are a few that come to mind. I agree the kid has to be even better just to show everyone he earned his spot on the team. Tony Bennett often said that his dad was much tougher on him than the rest of the team. Brad is well versed on that relationship. Let's call that extra motivation for Kramer. I'd be surprised if he doesn't play for his dad, assuming he has D1 ability, unless a Duke comes calling

He's the second best freshman in the area, so we're not just gonna stop talking about him. The top freshman in the area by the way is Torres Roundtree of McCluer North. He is the younger brother of Chris Carawell. He's on the Eagles 16's, playing with the older kids instead of torching his own age group. He had a triple-double in only his third high school game. The kid is the real deal. Anytime you have a 30pts 10asts, 10 rebs game, you are the real deal and to do that so early in his career is remarkable. Dont expect him to be in a McNorth uniform next year, I get the feeling he really doesnt want to be there.

>He's the second best freshman in the area, so we're not just

>gonna stop talking about him. The top freshman in the area

>by the way is Torres Roundtree of McCluer North. He is the

>younger brother of Chris Carawell. He's on the Eagles 16's,

>playing with the older kids instead of torching his own age

>group. He had a triple-double in only his third high school

>game. The kid is the real deal. Anytime you have a 30pts

>10asts, 10 rebs game, you are the real deal and to do that

>so early in his career is remarkable. Dont expect him to be

>in a McNorth uniform next year, I get the feeling he really

>doesnt want to be there.

Problack,

You forgot to mention that Roundtree was ineligible the second half of his freshman season because of grades. I agree he is talented, but if he doesn't get it done in the classroom he's not going to play major Division I hoops.

- Nate

Grades werent the problem. He was unhappy about being benched once, when the football players were eligible to start playing, specifically Marc Washington who was the 2004 Suburban North Newcomer of the year and all-conference. He was basically given the reigns of the team the first few games and then sent to the bench in favor of the football players. He wasnt ineligible he played a game in late January against Haz Central, which was during second semester so I dont know who told you that. He also played in a game on February 11th against McCluer. He officially left the team in February. He hated the 5 in 5 out system that Coach Reed was using and will look to utilize his talents elsewhere next season. Very talented point forward. Kid is just flat out an explosive athlete, scored 30 pts in a game this season without attempting a 3pt shot. Roundtree and Soderberg are bright spots in St. Louis' 2008 class. And since someone mentioned it earlier, I wouldnt mind seeing Roundtree in a Vashon uniform in the future. Coach Reed, McCluer North's head coach is a former Vashon star who went on to play D1 ball and professionally. He has nothing but respect for coach and was Irons first four-year player. He wouldnt hesitate to point Roundtree in Irons direction if/when he decides to transfer. It was great to see Irons and Reed embrace at halfcourt following their State Quarterfinal matchup at UMSL in early March.

If anyone can get a player eligible it is Coach Randy "Can't" Reed. Torres can just take a couple of Coach reed's history and psychology classes where most of the curriculum is based on watching this weeks episode of the OC or One Tree Hill.

The king of false statements accuses me of inaccurate info. That's funny.

Several sources have told me Roundtree was ineligible. I could be wrong, but that scenario sounds more likely than one of the area's top freshmen leaving his team because he wasn't happy about playing time or substitution patterns.

Whatever the case it will be interesting to see if he gets his act together in time to fulfill his potential.

- Nate

besides, even IF problack is correct, i.e. the kid left the team because he was unhappy with playing time. the fact the kid was only a freshman in high school and trying to flex his varsity p.t. muscles makes me sick.

Neither would surprise me. North has a long history of players with remakrable skills who cannot make the grade. While I was there we had a 3 on 3 tourney in the spring. It was dominated by guys who didn't play ball because of grades. Then again North has a long history of bad coaching and running off players, Pechloff and now Coach "Can't" Reed regualrly run off 2 or 3 players a year who could contribute. BTW I have been to Coach reed's practices and I admire those players who stick it out, I never saw the type of tactics Reed employs when I was in HS.

Your information is false.

http://prepsports3.stltoday.com/basketball...vent199118.shtm

http://prepsports3.stltoday.com/basketball...vent196286.shtm

Both games were in the second semester when you claimed he was ineligible. Torres has strong connections to Cardinal Ritter because of his brother and as you know Nate, so do I. Your information is in fact false.

And for whoever said Torres wanting more PT makes them sick I disagree. If you're good and you know you're good, there comes a point where you have to stand up for yourself. No good players wants to sit, especially in favor of inferior talent. The kid was highly sought after entering high school. So much so that the Post-Dispatch mention him in the season preview. They knew who he was and knew he would have a big impact. I would never bench a kid who had a triple double in one of his first couple games just because some of the guys from football season have arrived and have seniority. Kramer and Torres make the class of 2008 look real special.

http://www.stlamerican.com/articles/2005/0...ts/sports07.prt

show me a high school program where a freshman gets away with pouting and demanding pt and i will show you a losing program with a coach about to get fired.

or maybe if the coach caves to crybaby selfish freshman, the team chemistry is destroyed to the point that they lose first round of the playoffs.

i would bet more on the success was the fact that the coach had control then they were missing a player that kept them from going even further.

For those of you who think in MO you can transfer h.s. whenever you want and still play you need to remember that this is not IL. Roundtree would have to sit all of next year's bb season out if he transfered to Vashon. I suppose you could try to prove some kind of a hardship thing but the MSHAA is not real keen on those things when it comes to highly touted players and we all know that Irons is not their poster coach.

>For those of you who think in MO you can transfer h.s.

>whenever you want and still play you need to remember that

>this is not IL. Roundtree would have to sit all of next

>year's bb season out if he transfered to Vashon. I suppose

>you could try to prove some kind of a hardship thing but the

>MSHAA is not real keen on those things when it comes to

>highly touted players and we all know that Irons is not

>their poster coach.

Actually, if Roundtree moved into Vashon's area he would probably be eligible to play right away. I added the "probably" because you never know with the MSHSAA, but if everything looked like it was legit there would be no way to stop it.

- Nate

is the St. Louis city limits. This decision was recommeneded by Roberti and the transitional team. I've seen a South Side white girl, who willing went to Sumner High of North St. Louis because she wanted to be in their ROTC group. (Of course, I think she might be the only white girl at Sumner.) So there's nothing stopping any city resident from attending any public high school in St. Louis.

Summer 2002, Will Franklin, DeAlan Hicks, and Curtis Muse all transferred to Vashon. Only Franklin had to sit out. Point: kids transfer all the time without being forced to sit out. Morris Smith transferred from McCluer to Haz Central summer 03 without sitting out. Lamarr Howard did it this past summer. Marc Washington also did it summer 2003. Rarely does a player have to sit out. MSHSAA just doesnt enforce the rule that tough and they shouldnt. High school is the best time of these kids life, let them play where they choose.