Bernie's Bits

no negative comment from bernie, in fact nothing about how many days until they break ground. Perhaps that is because he has some info re how well the fundraising has been going. I have heard there has been a good sum picked up from donors within the last few weeks since the brick sales have been going on.

I've heard from a good source that SLU coach Brad Soderberg sees Civic Memorial SG/SF Dustin Maguire as the kind of perimeter shooter the Billikens need.

Based on what the team figures to look like in the next couple years, with Dwayne Polk, Kevin Lisch, Tommie Liddell, Luke Meyer, Danny Brown on the perimeter, I like the possible addition of a kid like Maguire. He's got good size (6-5 -- same as Luke Meyer) and may be a better 3-point shooter than anyone in that group. Lisch can shoot it, but he hasn't done it as the college level yet. I think Polk can shoot the 3 -- and I saw him do it very well his senior year at Vashon -- but he struggled with it last season.

Polk, Liddell and Lisch should also be guys who can penetrate and draw the defense. So it makes sense to have a big kid out on the wing who can knock it down. Maguire is also a better 3-point shooter than the local juniors SLU is recruiting, Vashon's Bobby Hill and DeSmet's Jarod Leonard. Hill plays more like a power forward, while Leonard is more slasher and mid-range jump shooter. Both of those kids can knock down the 3 on occasion as well.

Nate

Since he plays inside alot in HS ... he will probably have a good all around game. Most 6'5" guys who play inside in HS fail to develop the outside game they will need at the college level.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

bernie has a good source. i was told early last week that very few people knew that kevin had that surgery and not to say anything. hmmmm, dr - patient confidentiallity?

the knee got infected and they went in last week and basically took out the damaged miniscus that they had tried to repair with the first surgery. ironically, this will probably get kevin back on the floor sooner, however, it almost assures kevin of knee problems later in life.

as i said, it was my understanding that an extremely small circle of people knew he had that surgery last week. a circle that bernie miklasz would not be in. now if the production workers talked that is a totally different circle.

perhaps the source is the reason for the improved tone regaurding SLU. I have always wondered if BM was miffed at Woolard because he would not give him a sniff of a scoop. His attitude at least in this bits column is different, I wonder why. Perhaps the way to Bernie good side is with a little classifeid information now and then.