Wow what a great day of basketball

kshoe

how does Salim Stoudamire not touch the ball in the last 12 seconds. I'm a lousy coach, but I'm throwing the ball to Salim for the last shot!

Great game. With Louisville and Illinois in the Final Four, downtown St. Louis will be jumping. Throw in a Wisconsin or a Michigan State and the fans should be pouring down 55, 70 and 64!

Couldn't agree more about UK Bob. I was wondering a few years ago with KU and UK who would travel more...wasn't even a contest. You can go far far away and you will still find UK nation. Should be a good crowd matchup U of I vs UK if UK makes it....I would give the edge to UK.

Wow...do you think Illinois wins more than once if they play AZ ten times? even in a "home" game environment. Gag city for AZ...too bad for Lute. I like him. Bilas was right on the money in this game.

.... why the break in from the side court went to whomever and left Stoudamire standing on the foul line extended left side of court was probably a breakdown. Just the two night before, he had destroyed my bracket on the same side of the court, playing a pick and roll game with Frye .... the Okie State guy overplays the screener side but Stoudamire, a known and notorious lefthander, fakes right and goes left only to pull back with the defender on his right hip to take the lefthanded jumper ---- unblockable --- and send Sutton and company home.

I think whomever had the ball was supposed to pass it to Stoudamire ala a similar ending but failed. I think you get the ball to him on the entry pass and let all things go from there ... one on one with a pass option.

Lute is an idiot ... besides blowing a 15 point lead in under 3 minutes.

I watched the AZ press conference after the game and Lute Olson who I also believe is a class act was almost despondent he was so down. According to Stoudamire the play was not meant to go to him remember he passed to ball to Hassan Adams and according to both Olson and Stoudamire...Adams was to take that last shot, but Williams did a super job on defense. The Illini did an excellent job on Stoudamire the whole game as he was 2 for 13 and 1 of 7 from beyond the arc...he was an icredible over 50% shooter beyond the arc on the season...the Illini just did a super job on him. Deron Williams was a warrior making clutch basket after clutch basket. I am very happy that the Illini persevered and get a chance to win that elusive National Championship. It was a great college basketball game and I agree following an equally entertaining Louisville win made for a super day of college ball.

i agree bob. i was in indy a few years ago for a final four and kentucky was playing. when we came out of the dome after the semi's, all you could see was blue and they all wanted tickets. it was the saturday before easter, and our seats sucked and we sold ours to the kentucky fans for a price that paid for our trip and headed home to watch the final.

kentucky louisville in the finals will have the city crazy. but illinois and wisconsin will also bring em out as well.

idiot might be extreme, but the way that game played out it definitely makes one wonder if lute the recruiter is more responsible for his success instead of lute the floor coach. there was no excuse for the way that game finished last nite from arizona's standpoint. with the strong guards that they have arizona should have walked home with that game. the last play was horrible, but the events leading up to that were even worse.

Is it Lute's fault Salim was walking up and down the court with a couple of minutes left? Not like they can go to someone else on the bench for him either.

Adams was AWESOME all game. While I would have pick and rolled with Stoudemaire and Frye, dishing to Adams cutting or Frye keeping it at end of the game....he went a different play to isolate Adams. Didn't work.

Illinois had way too many open relazed easy 3's at end of the game. More than half of their shots were 3's. Make them go inside. Bilas said it over and over again, AZ wasn't tough enough with the ball. Obviously they stopped playing.

Olson took timeouts, etc...not sure what else he was supposed to do.

To lose by one point on the road to the number one team in the land...sign Lute up, he can coach for me anytime.

As for fans...UK(if they make it) vs U of I....who will bring more? That is the question. Louisville will bring a lot, but they will be third in numbers.

I'm beginning to think that he is the best college backcourt player since Magic. Fairly big, very strong, solid ball handler, great passer, clutch shooter, and totally shut down Stoudamire last night. That guy is Illinois' MVP in my book, and maybe the most valuable player in the nation. He never looked panicked even when Arizona was up by double digits with three minutes or so to go. Impressive!

Have not forgotten about Wade at all...he is certainly up there too. I'm just intrigued by how Williams can control a game situation on both ends. Of course, having teammates who are All-Americans doesn't hurt Williams (something Wade didn't have going for him).

..idiot was too strong of a term and I am not in a positionto make such a harsh call. Maybe Billy Packer is but not me. I apologize to Lute. Still ....

... I think that you put the ball in the hand of your all-american and do the pick and roll thing with Frye no matter what a nigth Adams had to that point.

if i am the coach of arizona with a 15 point lead with 4 minutes to play, i dont try to run anymore. i would have went to the 828 offense (score on a layup in the first 8 seconds of the shot clock or else you run motion until the clock gets to 28 then go to the basket. 4 minutes equals a little less than 7 full shot clocks. if arizona controls 4 of those, there is no reason that the game should have gotten to a tie. if stoudemire was tired, then call another time out. sorry, with the player talent that arizona possesses, lute has to take full blame.

i like deron williams, but i dont think he is magic johnson. if i have to pick a michigan state player to compare him too, maybe the pro version of eric snow.