Who is going to score next year???

ACE

From ur webpage it looks like all he does is dunk the ball

against weak teams, that does not translate into a good

college career i've seen it myself .

Only a person with a limited amount of b-ball knowledge would infer that dunking is a true measure of basketball talent. That page was made to dispel the belief that Tommie was only an average athlete. I don't know why I continue to fall into these traps but the 1st photo page featured:

Edwardsville(pix1&5)-Yearly puts out solid teams. Coach Waldo one of the best prep coaches in the area with over 400 career victories.

Alton(pic #3) Lost in their Regional Finals

Collinsville(pic#4)-See Edwardsville

Lincoln(pix 6-7) 32 game winner that year.

Vashon(pic8) No explanations needed.

Hardly weak teams. Most of the photos were prior to his senior season also.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Burg, thanks for the promotion, but I'm not a D1 coach yet. However, I can provide an unbiased view of the guard/small forward picture for next year, and based on what I have personally seen, I expect a decline in the minutes played column for Anthony. Why?

Anthony ended up going against the weaker of the SG or SF while on defense in most of the games this year. While he reduced the number of times he overplayed/gambled on D a little bit, he also gave up an increase in the # of threes scored by his man. Next year's playing time for the substitution pattern are for defense, and Anthony's D skills are in the 4-5-6 end of the scale.

On offense, at PG, Anthony is now the 3-4 player, behind DP and TL, and I have him behind a pre-injured KL. Your third or fourth best PG rarely sees the floor.

At SG, Anthony is best with his feet planted. I have him behind DP, LM, and KL - and I know KL can shoot on the move and coming off a screen.

At SF, behind DB, TL, LM. The only SM Anthony can effectively defend is a tall weak SF who hates being bumped in the flow of the offense(read Marquette's Novack.)

Intangibles - Anthony scores out at the top of the current group, acknowledging his senior status, noted tenacity and game personality. He has been in the system for four years and has to be a leader to all the frosh and sophomores. He ALSO has to show up next season five to ten pounds learner, drop his BF index, get ripped in the weight room, and lead the offseason workouts and scrimages.

As others have noted, PT is earned when Brad and staff throw the balls on the court next fall. In reality though, the PT is dictated by the level of improvement each player makes in the offseason - and the incoming and current frosh guard class we have is the best talent we have ever seen in my book, bar none, going back to 1970. The bar is being raised considerably!

i dont think drejaj has regressed. his shooting percentage is down this year, but it was down for the entire team. his ppg and assists have been fairly consistent all three years. and it is obvious to me he has taken on a bigger chunk of the defensive responsibility. by the end of this season, i felt he was our best point guard. not saying that he has the best skills to do the job as compared to polk, but outside of his jets, polk doesnt bring as much to the table yet as drejaj does. i still believe polk's eventual home will be on the wing as i would let liddell, lisch and drejaj have the keys before polk until he learns to be a true point guard.

i dont expect drejaj to be a star, but i dont see how some of you have it in for him as bad as you do. it wouldnt surprise me if drejaj has a very good season next year. and rightfully, the starting spot and minutes are his to lose imo. someone will have to beat him out. and with coach soderberg, that means intangibles. not just making a few more shots.

cheeseman said, "What I am trying to say is if the new players do not get a chance to start because Brad is insistent in playing AD because he is a senior until the second half of the year, then we are in trouble."

you mean like when polk started the entire season at the point guard spot instead of drejaj when in hindsight, he never really learned the position or played better as a point guard than drejaj? to make your accusation about coach soderberg is just wrong. actually i fear the opposite. i beleive that lisch and liddell will win their spots, but if they dont deserve them over returning players, they shouldnt be handed the spot as polk was this year.

Which starting spot is his to lose pg? If Ad is getting major minutes it means at least one of the 3 of DP, LM and DB have regressed or TL is not as good as advertised. I hope he plays ... but as the 5th guard who can play any of the 3 and brings intensity to the game.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

i am not predicting that he will be the starter. i am saying that coach soderberg will give him first crack and the youngsters have about a month to knock him off the throne.

it is my opinion that actually, it will be lisch, liddell, and polk starting. but if anyone falters or say lisch isnt recovered, then drejaj will jump into the fray imo. and as i said before, polk wouldnt be my point guard. all that speed to the front court does no good if he cant figure out what to do with it but bring it back out front. maybe the speed can be better utlized being no the receiving end of liddell rushing it down the floor and polk streaking up in front for the pass? i dont know. but i do know that polk needs to become a more complete point guard than what he was this year. i expect he can become that, but in the same sense, liddell and lisch have been playing the point for four or more years already. it is my understanding that polk rarely played the point at vashon. it showed.

I think we can all agree that JJ has a nice shooting touch and will geht more minutes - his athleticism exceeds Newbourne's, but he's not a 3 pt threat. I think we're all happy with Ian's development - he will average double figures. Luke has the scorer's mentality - and we will have a GREAT passer with Tommy who will get these guys shots that they didn't get this year. We saw Polk mature. I am not worried about next year, and I'm glad this year's over.

> Everyone seems ready to just hand over the team to new guys

>who has to learn Brad's system which we all know "takes a

>minute". (brehms13)

>______________________________________________________________________

>I think is goes without saying that Soderberg is not going

>to hand over spots to undeserving players, however I hold

>the belief that Liddell will step in and contribute

>immediately. (Jalensdad2002)

I agree with both, but I would like to point out that Coach Soderberg is a good evaluator of players' skills, and he virtually anointed Dwayne Polk as this year's point guard back in the summer, before Dwayne even had the opportunity to practice with the team.

Polk was clearly the best pg on the Bills this year ... was he perfect no ... but it is hard to be the pg on a team where no one can score. Also I think DP always played the point at Vashon.

In reference to the word "check" I mean exactly that..U stated the guys may question what Drejaj has proven..etc.., my thing is that shouldn't even be an issue if they're team players as u say, if they're trying to fit into the system. U can't just come onto the team and just think u have free reign, if nothing else Drejaj paid his dues, and they'll have to pay theirs, that's what I mean by check. That's respect for Drejaj, even as a support player to the team as u say..he deserves to be respected, and I know Soderberg very well too and I can almost assure u that he will put Drejaj in a leadership role, because he at least knows what he's getting from the kid and he's already a vocal leader...He doesn't have to earn the freshmans respect, they have to accept his position and respect him for what he has done for SLU...

U're wrong about my comment for next year, not hoping they'll fail, hoping Drejaj bust azz and u'll eat your words...thats all, I'm definitely a fan of the SLU team, very nice group of guys..I thought that was obvious..especially moving to the A10, I should see more of their games..so I'm a fan for life..regardless

As far as scruitiny, it shouldn't matter what was going on his personal life..everyone and their grandmother knew Reg was hurt all season, it didn't make a difference, he was still chastised as if he wasn't trying harder, his abilities was still questioned, he wasn't stepping up, as I stated in my response, my comments were to the whole thread not just u.

Hello??? I'm missing something here, no one EVER said the new guys wouldn't come in and start, if they DESERVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My response which starting this topic in our ongoing conversation was how in everyone else's post DREJAJ wasn't considered as a starter, neither was Luke or Danny...that's my point. We're talking abot Kevin and Tommie as if they're gonna come right in and Change the whole program, we're gonna win 25 games and they will lead us on...that's the tone...I simply am saying why is that?? Everyone has to earn their starting spots, not just have them given to them. I thinking Drejaj has EARNED!! at least that... If that changes during the course of the season so be it, but based on his performance this season, he should start...

Bullcrap about Danny seeing more time because of our crisis, our crisis happened with less than 3 weeks left in the season if that long and Danny was already seeing significant time, and he got that on his own merit, because of how he worked in practices and in games. (that's my point) The one we saw more of was Luke and that was because Reg was home, and Luke shined on that opportunity. I think Luke would've saw more time without our crisis happening because if u remember right before our situation at home, Reg was coming off the bench, so coach had already made his decision to start younger players. I said from the beginning before this season started that Ian should start, but I understood why Brad preferred his PROVEN SENIOR..who wouldn't, but I only saw him show favoritism in that area, that position, cause believe me every other position was up for grabs, look at our history of subs this season...

Sure u do..they may not watch the whole damn season...but it should definitely be some pine time in the beginning of the season to see how well they can hold their own in a College Basketball game...I've followed many teams in my travel in all conferences and most coaches make players earn their spots, they don't just hand them away. If Kevin and Tommie earns them, so be it, but until then...the proof of their abilities is on them..

I like DP, he's fast u're correct..what I don't like is he doesn't SHOOT THE BALL!!, he did well for the team this season, I saw potential for him to do better this season if he just shot more..But again that's my point...DP was soooo pumped up by all last year...and he has this speed that works against him now, because he's down court with his team behind him and he doesn't want to shoot the ball..so who does it benefit...sure it could be the team is slow or whatever, but it was still a problem ... Not Ragging on him, pointing out how Freshman can't just come into a system and ALWAYS automatically produce, some can and that's GREAT, but everyone can't. We're already asking KEVIN and TOMMIE to do that, use DP as an example, College ball isn't easy, u must be prepared for any and everything and I think Dwayne experienced this...whether it was nerves, him thinking he might get benched, or pressure from defense players of other teams, he missed a lot of opportunities to score points.

listen if you want to win and go to the next level the best player plays regardless of what year they are. all things considered, with a very young group next season AD best role is limited in games and significant in practice. when KL and TL arrive next fall, (fingers crossed) safe and sound, our talent level raises to levels we really haven't had and with that in mind they should play from day 1. people need to realize that AD will not take us anywhere, he is not a difference maker, this will be his FOURTH season and you can't sit and wait for someone in their last season to show something. when a significant talent UPGRADE arrives that talent needs to play.

In reference to the word "check" I mean exactly that..U

stated the guys may question what Drejaj has proven..etc..,

my thing is that shouldn't even be an issue if they're team

players as u say, if they're trying to fit into the system.

You make it seem as though the new guys are plotting an uprising. I simply pointed out that a true leader words must be followed by positive actions. If Drejaj or anyone for that matter cannot back up their words with action, eventually those words will begin to fall on deaf ears. It has nothing to do with grade classifications.

U can't just come onto the team and just think u have free

reign, if nothing else Drejaj paid his dues, and they'll

have to pay theirs, that's what I mean by check. That's

respect for Drejaj, even as a support player to the team as

u say..he deserves to be respected.

I doubt anyone will come on the team with that attitude, however this team undoubtedly needs someone who is more than one dimensional. Drejaj for all the accolades you want to heap upon him is not the type of player who can carry a team. He deserves respect, but not homage.

I know Soderberg very well too and I can almost assure u that he will put Drejaj in a leadership role, because he at least knows what

he's getting from the kid and he's already a vocal

leader...He doesn't have to earn the freshmans respect, they

have to accept his position and respect him for what he has

done for SLU...

I can't claim to know Soderberg, but I hope he is intelligent enough to know that a changing of guard is in order as far as the backcourt is concerned. I believe he knows exactly what he has in Drejaj. With that in mind, I don't think Drejaj will have the minutes to bust azz as you say.

U're wrong about my comment for next year, not hoping

they'll fail, hoping Drejaj bust azz and u'll eat your

words.

I've been wrong before and if Drejaj can make a Mo Jeffers-like transformations great, but highly unlikely.

Or the new guys will look at him and ask,"What have you proven on this level"? Guys talk the talk all the time, but if Drejaj is not backing it up and is still logging heavy minutes look for disention to develop on next year's team

That was your statement above. I'm not building Drejaj up to be more than he is, in fact I mentioned Luke and Danny as well..your statement above suggest an arrogance possibly on the part of the incoming guys, that they may question Drejaj in that manner, or look at him as such..I beg to differ..and If they do, then they're not respecting what he has already done for SLU..what he has done as a player for 4 years(next year will be 4).., I like to think that my words are exact enough that other points aren't inferred..I mean why would there be DISENTION? They're new comers...unless they're cocky enough to think it's all about them, why would they have a problem with Drejaj..his minutes..that's my point...each person has their vices..TL's grades, Lisch is Hurt..the tables can be easily turned to point out their vices...

To me from that statement u're suggesting they're coming in with a superiority attitude, thus my responses...But nevertheless..I'm hoping the guys will get along and there will be no attitudes like that on the team, because the team has gotten along well for the last few years..Hopefully the guys won't get caught up in decisions they can't control that are made by the coach, and not look at each other any different.

I think those things tend to sort themselves out on the court and in practice. IF TL and or KL don't come in showing the skills and work ethic that show they should be starting ... and LM and DB don't continue to work hard and improve then AD will get minutes, maybe alot. I think no matter how many minutes AD gets in games he will be a team leader his attitude won't allow anything different.

I think vices may be too strong of a word to use. Tommie has the requisite score to qualify.It's just a matter of waiting for the final grades, and what exactly do you mean by the tables could be turned. Are you so east coast biased that you can't see the major flaws in Drejaj's game? I thought we were discussing on the court issues.If I'm Coach Soderberg I hope my new recruits come in with a superior attitude. I wouldn't recruit kids who expected to take a backseat to returning players who only won 9 games. If anything this team needs that attitude. One of the things that has kept SLU from moving foward is their recruitment of borderline talent. It's wrong to recruit these types of talent and throw them to the wolves(Cincy & Louisville).

I'm still trying to find all the great things Drejaj has done for the program. I'm sure he is a great kid, but where are the results. Hell I worked with a guy by the name of Harry Rogers who still has records that stands with the program. He is not receiving the homage you seemed to want to point at Drejaj. You point out that they are newcomers as if that is a defect. You think that mattered to Jimmy Boeheim in relation to Carmelo Anthony. Now Liddell is not Anthony, although he did better in some of the skills test at the 2003 NBPA Camp. As far as having problems with Drejaj minutes, if Drejaj is earning his minutes by being productive, fine no one can argue with productivity, however if Drejaj is playing simply because he has been around the longest, who wouldn't take exception. You say you know Soderberg, if that is the case talk to him about the type of player he believes Tommie Liddell to be. He knows Tommie is a program maker, otherwise he would have moved on when Tommie failed to qualify. You think he would have stayed on when it was reported that Tommie had switched his committment to UNLV, which was by the way an ill-conceived PR stunt to garner attention for the upcoming Las Vegas Big Time Event. These actions speaks volume. As long as Tommie does his part academically as well as athletically he will play heavy minutes from day one. Get used to it and support it.

the this thread has taken. I am not anti-Drejaj or anti-anyone who is returning to the program. But you can't turn a blind eye to the results of this past season. This team had some bad things happen, they lost some very close games, games were an improvement in the talent level possibly could have made a difference. I'm not saying the newcomers will translate into an additional 9-10 wins on the season. I'm saying build towards the future. Play the young guys to include Luke and Danny heavy minutes. Make them prove their worth. If you do this one or three things will happen:

1. The youngster will develop and come back better the next season.

2. They won't develop and you as the coach will know what you need to recruit the following season.

3. What better recruiting tool could you have than having a proven track record of playing incoming talent.

Look at Coach Romar at Washington. He heavily recruited Tommie at SLU and continued to send out feelers at UW. I remember thinking no way would Tommie go to that program. Within 2 years I'm forced to do a 180. He has turned that program into one of the jewels of the PAC10. Possibly supplanting Arizona after the eventual retirement of Lute Olsen. It can be done. Good coaches and programs proved that on a yearly basis.

Vices meaning issues, or things to work on. No sir I'm not that east coast..I'm the one who suggest SLU recruit in all regions..I'm stating my opinion, just like u...

I've said before I'm for the team period...I'm just not for GIVING ANYBODY ANYTHING...just because of who they are...so it sounds like we're saying similar things..If the guys deserve it then they should get it...(all the guys being considered) Where we Disagree is Drejaj's value to the team..