Tcu beats Marquette by 3 in OT

willie

... if Marquette can put 13,000 fannies in the seats at the Bradley Cneter, not only will they get a game, they might get two .... A marquette/Wisconsin-Green Bay game would play in Peoria .....

... is frankly living off Dwayne Wade. One glorious year with a Final Four appearance. But I think the dividends and the interest that he earned there are wearing off. Complicating matters will be the advent of the Big East ...... in addition to Louisville, Cincy and Depaul .... all nice tough games year in and year out ... he now has to play Uconn, Syracuse, Pitt and Notre Dame as opposed to SoMiss, East Carolina, Tulane and TCU. I am of the opinion that the talent level in the current cupboard at MU cannot compete on a regular basis with that competition. And with no point guard in the stable, well, that's just death to any program in college ball.

Can he coach? I don't know .. I haven't really watched his bench antics and demeanor much. I think he is better than some of the past brain farts I've seen on the sidelines .... Finch, Calipari, Greenberg, Kennedy, to name a few. A special player ... ala Wade ala Hughes .. makes everyone better, including the coach. You can coach all you want and a play can break down. If you have a talent like Wade or Hughes, your stud player takes over and makes the play .. making you all that much better. I don't see any stud players on the MU roster right now. So in my opinion, the MU record is about to suffer. Does that mean Crean all of a sudden got so stoopid? No .. but rough seas might be in their immediate future.

Both are classic "what have you done for me lately?" cases. Would you not agree?

I watched Brad last night quite intently. I was real curious as to what his nonverbals were. I was hoping that I would see a person who, while intent on coaching and teaching, was taking the game for what it was .... most likely the last one of the year. I watched his sub pattern as well looking to see if he would eventually cut his seniors loose and go with the youth.

Overall, it was interesting ....

Taj....I find the subject interesting to watch....and have probably heard 50/50 on both sides. Is it better to make the Final Four and miss the NCAA a few times etc...or to make it every year and lose early....

I disagree with your assessment for the following reasons....first of all, besides making the final four, Crean, and Crean alone created the current atmosphere for their program...I have been in their building, attendance has gone up a lot under Crean, it is a party like atmosphere for games, approaching 4000 student season tickets for games who line up at 6am for seats...he works the students, alums etc...tirelessly. I disagree that it was all Wade. Sure obviously Wade is a rare rare special player, ...but they needed Diener to effectively run the point...and score I believe 29 points in their first NCAA game that year ...I'd have to look that up but it is close...Novak to bury three after three, Jackson inside dominating Kentucky...What I mean is...it wasn't all Diener, or all Novak...Sure Wade is the dominant player...but those others are good recruits at multiple positions to make it happen.

Now, Crean's negatives...are his misses in classes, high turnover for players...I think he offers too many kids. Crean has had problems getting good "bigs" besides Jackson...Merritt was okay but compared to his rankings in high school, a mild bust....

Crean definitely falls into that slickster sales guy mode. His strength is his recruiting...Michigan St national title...Wade etc...and he has missed completely on a couple of classes. They say his class for next season is his best yet...we shall see....Mason remember was a top 40 player out of Aurora West, Shaun Pruitt's school...and has been okay but not as good as many thought so far....

Final review...imo...Marquette doesn't build a state of the art practice facility under Mike Deane or any other coach....the general student enrollment applications don't sky rocket like they did, where the school has had to be even more selective with students...same thing happened at Gonzaga, ...and they don't get into the Big East and all that $$.....While Crean isn't going to win any nice guy of the year awards like a Soderberg, I would think Marquette is pleased with the overall results...but will watch the next couple of seasons closely...he isn't going anywhere...but now makes $1 million bucks.

This is no knock on Larry Hughes...Wade played two years at Marquette, Hughes played one at SLU. Hughes put up decent, solid NBA numbers up until this year, a contract year, where he has played dramatically better. Maybe Hughes would have been different with one more year of college ball, or a better supporting cast, or team in college or NBA...It has taken Hughes a lot longer to develop in the NBA...and who knows where SLU would have gone in his second year.

All interesting stuff....but I never did understand the thought...well if you take Wade away from Marquette, or if you take away the final four....comapre this and that....those are BIG gigantic things to take away....I always think...Norm Stewart and many others, Gene Keady etc..never made ONE fianl four....I'd take that for SLU and a few misses, any day.

I'd second the notion on a Final Four appearance for our Bills and what it would do for the ol Alma Mater...seems like that is either a pipe dream or light years away. However, one extremely strong recruiting class and???