THe Depaul game...

I was at the game and would also like to know if there was any reason given in the telecast or after the game why DP played so little.

I thought Danny Brown did a fine job on Mejia, he killed us in the first game with DePaul. Unfortunately IO didn't get it done too well on D. I sat with my son living in Chicago who has not seen the Bills all year. He really jumped on IO's inconsistency, and liked DB alot.

The comment below that Izak is like the hockey player who scores a bunch of goals, but is -15 for the year is right on. Love his offense, but we got eaten up inside.

Now we didn't miss but one FT, and we had only 2 more TO's than they did. But the rebounding, WOW! Really killed us there and that was the difference.

The reception before the game had great energy, Fr Biondi was there, as was Cheryl Levick, got to meet her and speak with her a little as well. Well organized event (I even won a Billiken T shirt in the raffle!). Heard before the game that the website, and online store, is going to be redone and improved....don't shoot the messenger, just passing on what I heard.

Told Ms Levick that I knew Dribbler, and she looked at me cross eyed. When I told her that was his name on the chat room, she sort of frowned, as if to say she didn't follow it at all. Whatever.

Was a great weekend, just one little piece of the weekend wasn't good. Will get it fixed next year.

mhg

The team really struggled in the first half and Luke and Dwayne did not play as well as they had recently, partly because of matchup problems. Brad made adjustments at halftime and played a bigger team in the second half. Danny played well and the coach stayed with the team that was playing well. IO was very frustrating because he can be a force but he had 6 turnovers and played very inconsistantly on the defensive end. Overall, I thought that the effort and tenacity we showed in the second half were terrific. Too bad we had those three empty trips when we were down two in the last couple of minuts.

Obviously IO's turnovers were bad but I don't know how you can say he played poorly on the defensive end. He held Greer to 5 of 14 shooting.Depaul radio talked about what a bad offensive game Greer had. Issac deserves some credit for that. If Polk is going to be one of our main men in the future Brad better figure out a way to keep him in the game against taller guards. Benching him every time he gets posted is an easy way for opposing coaches to get him out of the game. I for one would like to see us use an occasional zone.

dwayne needs to hit the weight room over the summer. otherwise you are correct the opposing teams will indeed continue to abuse him as such.

This is the first time we that I can think of that we have taken DP out for defensive reasons. Lets not get carried away and start talking about his lack of defensive ability. Every player will have a bad matchup now and then. What if Tommie was at the point and someone like Drew Lavender was the opposing guard ... I guarantee you he would have trouble staying with him in the open court. Would we then need to worry about Tommie playing the point because he didn't match up well.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

it is a combination of things. if polk had taj gray behind him to back him up on post ups and help you can bet that teams would also be less inclined to do what they did. instead, greer heads to a corner, and brumfield goes across the lane, our mountainous (in speed and size) big man lumbers across the lane to battle brumfield, bam, just like that, polk is an island to himself and vulnerable to that post up. if he was stronger, then he deals with it himself. if taj gray is behind him the opponent thinks twice about sending the ball inside knowing gray is quickly heading across to help out.

this is no knock on polk's defensive skills, but rather a commentary on the whole defensive scheme big picture. now if polk would have been scoring or contributing more, you can bet that there is a trade off somewhere in there that makes leaving him in the game make sense.

as to lavender, it will be interesting to focus tonite during the oklahoma game on big monday how lavender is attacked while on defense.

Rarely does anybody post up a point guard. It just seemed to me that the post was slanting torwards a what are we going to do when teams start posting DP up.

It's ridiculous ... do you think DePaul was the first team to figure out that DP is short?

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman