Frustration Personified...

Schasz

Another close loss at home to a team with postseason aspirations in a game that was right there for the taking; however, losing teams find a way. We were up by 3 getting late in the game and then bang like a lightning bolt UAB scores the next 7 points for a 4 point hurdle that try as we might we could never quite get over.

No question that our players hustled the whole game but too many untimely TO's and missed FT's to pull this game out. We have our 2nd straight home game loss where an opposing player goes off and has his career night against us. If we by some chance just hold Taylor to his season average of 17 a game then we probably are kicking around a Billiken win. I suppose this is just another in a series of keep the faith games as Polk will learn from his lesson with Squeaky last night, and Luke will surely work on his release for his shot. Things will get better in the years to come...just keep believing.

seemed to me that Taylor did not do quite as well when DB was covering him than when AD was.

Reggie hurt us bad with some TOs in the first half. His shot isn't there to make up for the losses on D.

Why does DP keep passsing up the open 3. I will take misses there from him. UABs 3s kept them in the game in the first half. We missed 7 FT in the second half.

Their press didnt really bother us that much, but their D intensified in the second. That was some zone they employ. Seemed they would tire at the end of the game, and didn't seem that they subbed a whole lot more than other teams.

mhg

That is the frustrating thing.

If we had made just 4 - 18 three pointers instead of 3.

If we had made just 70% from the line instead of 62%.

If Taylor scored his season average.

If Izik had just scored half as many points in the second half as he did in the first.

I think Schasz said it best, losing teams keep finding a way to lose. My hope is that a lot of this is just inexperience and bad luck and that we are forming the basis of a more solid (and lucky) team next year.

maybe my memory is just being kind, but i dont remember being as encouraged during grawers last year which was highmark and clagget's first. if ian and a pf to be named later come around, i have as much expectations for this group as any. a lot of good glimpses from the kids.

Roy - don't forget that that first year of Highmark and Clagget also ended with a big defection - Winfield. You are correct - things did look bleaker then now. Spoon comes in and adds really only Dobbs and we find ourself playing 500 ball - is that correct?. The next year, Waldman is eligible and the rest is history.

That Spoon's first year at SLU was a losing season even though I don't recall the exact record. It was the following season when H Bomb came to town from Vegas that we had 2 straight NCAA appearances...Clags and Scottie's JR year.

No one can say this team has not tried to push the ball more here recently - a direct result of playing the younger and faster kids. The problem is they are having trouble executing it correctly - if they could figure out when to pass to the trailer or when to take it themself then we would have more lay ups that are successful. Star - you are correct - Brad needs to get away for awhile and get his perspective adjusted for next year.

SLU was 5-23 in Rich Grawer's last year (1991-92) when Erwin Claggett, Scott Highmark, and Julian Winfield were all freshmen. Winfield left after that season. SLU was 12-17 in Charlie Spoonhour's first year (1992-93), in which JUCO Donnie Dobbs was added. Then transfer point guard H Waldman arrived the next year from UNLV, and SLU went 23-6 and 23-8 in 1993-94 and 1994-95, both NCAA years. In 1995, SLU beat Minnesota in the first round of the NCAA East Regional in Baltimore, and actually led #1 seed Wake Forest and Tim Duncan 16-0 before falling 64-59 in a close game in Round 2. We were in Baltimore for those games, and euphoria reigned after that win over Minnesota.

In the words of the late, great Marquette Coach Al McGuire, "The best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores." Keep the faith. We have to believe that better days are ahead even if this year has been most frustrating. It would help to sign that eternally elusive athletic power forward.