Misplaced Anger: Bernie Miklasz isn't why SLU sucks

pooch1918

pooch said, "I CAN recognize when die-hard fans of a down-and-out team are losing perspective of the big picture. How informed should I be? This club is 7-17. It's not rocket science. They stink"

i contend that even in this very disappointing season, i would rather watch this team than baniak's sophomore season or the season before hughes.

i contend that this season has more been more encouraging than claggett and highmark's freshman season.

i agree it is not rocket science. but it isnt as bad as it seems either.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are right on with everything that you said. I also do not debate that this has been a very disappointing season. No doubt.

The only thing that is really disturbing is that a columnist at a "major metropolitan newspaper" (others' words, not mine) would come so unglued, both publicly AND privately, when his error is discovered and reported. He has effectively declared that to get even with his detractors, he is going to expose SLU for the "mediocre mess it is". For a supposedly professional journalist to go out of his way to express a vendetta against a group of fans and then say he is going to attack the program out of revenge is just plain wrong and disturbing REGARDLESS of the state of the program.

SLU is having a bad year as all teams have a bad year.

Bernie plays fast and loose with the truth and then tries intimidation and bombast to defend himself, rather than just fess up. As a journalist, he should protect his own integrity with diligence. He has been caught out, and now he has shown poor judgement on top of lying.

SLU is having a bad 50 years, with little hope of improvement in the next 50 at this pace.

What have I done you ask? Tell me what I can do. Please. Two years ago I spoke with Doug Wollard. I offered to help organize a New York alumni gathering to raise donations for the stadium, nothing was ever followed up on. Maybe there aren't enough alumni in the area to justify such an event, but at least say that and follow up - if you're trying to run an efficient and class organization. But we aren't - we just aren't and it's already evident from the new AD. But give me a constructive suggestion on what I can do and I'll do it. Probably the best/only thing we can do is write a "Notre Dame" type letter to Biondi saying that the school needs to make a real commitment to the basketball program. Would it have any impact? Maybe not, but at least we can say we did something. Who on this board would sign it? Based on what I read on this board, far too many people are happy with the state of the program so maybe not many are interested.

Savis is very nice but class b atmosphere. I'd rather play in West Pine and have the place truly rocking.

How many class a fan bases are there I think Roy asked? I have no idea, but I think SLU could have one if the administration made it a true priority.

Apologies to the band - it is great.

>SLU is having a bad year as all teams have a bad year.

>

>Bernie plays fast and loose with the truth and then tries

>intimidation and bombast to defend himself, rather than just

>fess up. As a journalist, he should protect his own

>integrity with diligence. He has been caught out, and now he

>has shown poor judgement on top of lying.

cheeseman,

how many pieces of inexpensive glass will you have stuck in your hand (roster) before you find a "diamond" in the rough? One out of five, or maybe one out six become diamonds in the rough?

When was the last time you heard that a high school player turned down a scholarship offer from Missouri, Illinois, Purdue, Iowa, Iowa State to play for a team in the MVC. I can't remember the last such player to make that decision.

For a vast majority of the D1 schools, if two out of every three recruits meet their recruiting expectations....their probably doing pretty good. Two out of three would give you 8-9 good veteran players.

If recruiting was easy....everybody would be over .500!

It seems to do something to you.

Ok Mr Bill. Your answer is to write a "Notre Dame" type letter to father Biondi. Thanks for sharing. Not following going on under the tarnished dome I have no idea what the heck you're talking about. None the less if the letter doesn't sound like something from AlQueda I'll sign it.

Anything else?

The solution to all of this is to win a bunch of games. I'm confident we'll do that next year and the year after. I'm guessing you aren't getting to see a lot of Billiken games this year but looking at the box scores only. That's the same mistake you and the dems made on Iraq.

Not Iraq again!! I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Last box score I saw on that one was $200 billion and counting with the added bonus of North Korea getting nukes while we were distracted. I hope SLU can do better!!

>It seems to do something to you.

>

>

>Ok Mr Bill. Your answer is to write a "Notre Dame" type

>letter to father Biondi. Thanks for sharing. Not following

>going on under the tarnished dome I have no idea what the

>heck you're talking about. None the less if the letter

>doesn't sound like something from AlQueda I'll sign it.

>

>Anything else?

>

>The solution to all of this is to win a bunch of games. I'm

>confident we'll do that next year and the year after. I'm

>guessing you aren't getting to see a lot of Billiken games

>this year but looking at the box scores only. That's the

>same mistake you and the dems made on Iraq.

so you have read both papers concurrently for a period of time? then you know as well that the belleville news democrat is a better all around paper.

no i asked, how many base fans are needed to be labeled "class A"? a simple question. you said that our fan base is not a class A fan base, so i was curious what constitutes a "class A" fan base.

>I don't even know why we're having this discussion. SLU's

>done things that would seem shameful in its history, too.

>And it has about as many great things going for it as mizzou

>does in the past century.

The day SLU lets in a clown like Ricky Clemons is the day you can enter into the shameful debate. Scurry away Mizloser.

To be honest, I don't think either paper is particularly good. But even if the Belleville news democrat WAS the better paper, it would not be a major metro news outlet. The PD is regardless of whether or not it is good, as it is circulated to 300,000 people, which is undoubtedly a much higher number than the BND.

so there are only 4 "class A" fan bases? and btw, saint louis university averages more fans per game than duke. granted they have a smaller arena, but still the fact remains that our attendance is better than dukes. so how can they be ranked ahead?

It's not based on number, it's based on enthusiasm, noise, passion. A class A fan base means that the student body is involved. Our student turnout has always been so low as to be embarrassing.

>so there are only 4 "class A" fan bases? and btw, saint

>louis university averages more fans per game than duke.

>granted they have a smaller arena, but still the fact

>remains that our attendance is better than dukes. so how

>can they be ranked ahead?

the point is though cheesy, that an argument can be made that a small midwestern daily like the belleville new democrat is at least as good if not better than what should be a national major newspaper. that is sad.

while ekker was a horrible coach and had an affair with a billiken cheerleader and conducted a summer with a few illegal practices, i dont recall anyone on the billiken roster that resembled ricky clemons in anyway, especially academically.