I get so frustrated...

SShoe

...when coaches break up a run with substitutions. UB did that today when he subbed Drejaj for Polk five minutes into the second half and we were up 14 points. From there Southern Miss went into their 10-0 run and were right back into the game. We could've blown them out right then. Plus, I just hate seeing Drejaj playing more minutes than Polk.

polk had a few just splendid times down the floor tonite. however, down the stretch he couldnt wait to get the ball to the wing again. when dwayne is the dwayne that uses those skills all the time, he will play all the time.

I don't think it was his ankle, Coach has taken Polk out a lot lately and put in Drejaj and I simply think that's because, Polk can run, but he hesitates in shooting and he's still learning, Coach does want experience on the floor as well. While I don't like his subbing, when the team is on a run either, I do agree Drejaj should get more of Polk's time.

polk had two marvelous drives to the basket that he then passed off for assists during the billikens best run, but other than that, he did nothing last night. i cant wait until he becomes that player all the time. he has extreme athleticism, but needs to take control. that will come, but for now, his hesitation and lack of aggression takes him off the floor.

I completely disagree that Dreja should get Polks time. Anthony played 26 min. scored 1 point, got torched on defense,and slows down the ball. I am sure if you did a hockey style plus-minus last night Dreja let the team in minuses. Sorry brehms I don't see what you see in Anthony. I don't even see the passion he had last year. IMO the team moves much better with Polk in the game.

The passion is there. The one thing in Anthony's favor is that he is totally fearless. He has no fear of taking the shot when the clock is running down and no fear of charging into the lane to get hammered underneath. I'm not saying this is always a good thing. Dwayne, perhaps rightly so as a freshman without a great shot at the moment, looks to dish instead of score.

Every time Drejaj enters the game, our offense slows down to a halt, and we press for good shots. He starts the offense about ten feet off the three point line and ten seconds into the shot clock, whereas Polk tends to get the offense moving right away. From a pure standpoint of getting the team moving and running Brad's motion, Polk is by far the player who should be in the game.

Hey I'm Polk's biggest fan but in a halfcourt offense, with his confidence in his shot at an all-time low, we're playing 4 on 5. Now it just so happens we were also playing 4 on 5 when Drejaj was out there but Drejaj taking only one shot has been atypical for him this season.

There's really no way for Polk to regain his confidence if he's not allowed to play with reckless abandon in the halfcourt without being yanked from the game. The kid is 5'9 -- he's going to have take some "bad shots" from time to time just to get his shot off inside the free throw line. But Brad abhors bad shots. I feel sorry for the kid.

I agree ... Polk should play 30-32 and AD 8-10 ... amd maybe a few more at the 2. IMO AD slows down the game ... he dribbles into trouble often. Yes once in a while he hits the big shot ... but when you throw up enough of them every once in a while one will go in. I still like his hustle and the enthusiasm he brings to the game ... I also think he has the ability to shut down some opposing guards which has some merit.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

> The kid is

>5'9 -- he's going to have take some "bad shots" from time to

>time just to get his shot off inside the free throw line.

>But Brad abhors bad shots. I feel sorry for the kid.

You are now promoting "bad shots" and even more insanely criticizing a coach for trying to limit bad shots. Call me old fashioned but I would rather win games rather than promote "styles of play". If you really think a particular "style" is more important than SLU winning games, I suggest you root for other teams (Quinnipiac, for example, runs up and down the court jacking up stupid shots--maybe you should be a Bobcat fan perhaps?).

I am very glad that Dwayne Polk does not think like you.

I'm not promoting anything. I'm explaining why we'll only see flashes of the real Dwayne Polk while he's at SLU.

I also would rather win games than promote "styles of play". Brad should do exactly what he feels he needs to do to win because ultimately its his job that's on the line. If sacrificing a kid's game is what he feels he needs to do for the good of the team, so be it. But I still feel sorry for the kid because I've been watching him since he was a freshman in high school.

There are ways to utilize Dwayne's skill without running wild. The problem is we don't have the players to compliment Dwayne. We have them coming so I think Dwayne will be better suited as our team grows. He will also gain more confidence and a better understanding of what he can and cannot do. I do not though understand his inability to hit wide open 3's. Until he can hit the open 3 his defender will sag off him and make any possible penetration more difficult. Earlier I was complaining about Dwayne not penetrating and began watching him more closely. He is very rarely defended as tight as say Reggie ... teams are not respecting his shot and guarding him at arms length making it much harder to beat them on the dribble. I know Dwayne shot much better in High School and an open 3 is an open 3 ... so I don't know why he is having such problems this year.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Just because Polk isn't shooting the ball doesn't mean we're playing 4 on 5. You just need to look past shooting and look at does the team play better when Polk is running the point or when Drejaj runs the point. Seems pretty obvious to me when we're up 14 in the second half, Polk gets yanked for a push off foul, we begin to turn the ball over, get bad shots, and lose the lead in a matter of a few minutes. The lineup that was doing the best was the DP,RB,VN,IO,IV. To go away from that lineup during a 9-0 run to start the second half is a mistake and could've cost us the game.

Polk just doesn't need to score to be effective. His job is to get us into our offense quicker. Drejaj doesn't do that.

I have no problem with getting the most of Dwayne Polk (and I am sure long-time observers like you know what they can bring better than people like me) but that is definitely not what you said above when you promoted bad shots (and promoting bad shots is putting style or the future ahead of winning).

I definitely think its a much more nuanced than your over-simplified dichotomy (EITHER Dwayne "sacrificing his game" OR doing for the "good of the team").

I love Drejaj's heart and his ability to take a big shot but he is just too slow. When he brings the ball up the court we are always up againt the shot clock, and his dribbling puts us in trouble. I love it when he makes a big 3 but from the games I have seen this year he is jacking up way to many 3's which are way off. I would play Polk and use Drejaj sparingly.

slubbfan

I know this thread is pretty much sharing opinions of what would work, but, look, whatever "worked" last night, we got a badly needed win out of it, and I'm proud of our guys for pushing through the entire game. Yes, there were some problems, but a win is a win, let's focus more on that! I'm glad we're playing at home with a good road win under their belt. I think TCU is in for a rude awakening Saturday. Great job guys, KEEP IT UP!

"It's a 106 miles to Chicago...we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.....HIT IT!"

Blues Brothers

while polk gets the ball across the halfline quicker. i fail to see where he consistently runs the offense better after that. he has had moments of spectacular, he has had far more moments of hand it reggie and run to the other side of the court. when he demonstates that full court mentality all the time, i am all for polk playing more.

i was thinking last nite as i was watching the billikens and had the cincy game on another tv and charlotte was getting themselves blown out how stupid it is to run just to run.

now as 3 star said in another post, why slow it down when we were piling the points up. we basically let them back in the game, but in the same sense, if things are going badly, to continue to run with a team that is miles more athletic and better and on a roll is like pooring gas on a fire as well.

the lead evaporating had more to do with ian going out of the game with his 3rd foul than polk going out. with ian in the game, we had two inside players bigger than anyone on the so miss team. after that, big boy johnson matched up with izik and that put an end to the run.