PF

slu72

We all keep looking for ABII to come waltzing into West Pine. That 6'8" or 6'9" slasher type. I'm not sure we're ever going to land one as it's been 15 years since an AB type has suited up for us. Can't figure out why SLU is off limits to these types, but it hasn't happened and there's no one on the horizon. But do we really need one to be a winner? Imagine for a moment that either IV or BH come on strong in the next two months and really work hard in the summer (if they were smart they would) and develop into the type of center GT has (carrot top). Couldn't DB develop into a slasher at 6'5" with some real hard work? Same for Newburn. Or do they just not posess the requisite skills? IF this happened over the next 10 months we could start a lineup of 6'5" TL, 5'10" DP, 6'2" KL, 6'6" VN/DB (still don't know about JJ), and a 6'11"/7'0" aircraft carrier.

When I was home over Christmas break I was looking through a box of videos and found a number of games from the 1993-94 and 1994-95 seasons. I watched most of a game against DePaul that was during our undefeated streak to start the 1993-94 season. Anyways, I remembered how good Claggett, Highmark, and Waldman, but I forgot how much of a beast Donnie Dobbs was. I'd be satisfied with a slightly taller version of Donnie.

it is my opinion that the improvement of luke schenscher or bryant reeves from the old ok state team, is not normal. what they accomplished just doesnt happen to that degree. if husak turned into schenscher and ian turned into a better passing bryant reeves would put us in the elite of college basketball.

it is my hope and belief that just getting to the level of the two bigs from last year's dayton team would be fantastic. sean finn and Keith Waleskowski were very effective and would make us very competitive imo. and i dont think it is a reach to ask our two projects to possibly become that.

as discussed in another string, imo, the watts kid at jennings might turn into dobbs, but boy talk about a reach. to sign a high school kid as an undersized pf and expect him to become dobbslike is a gamble deluxe. imagine the outrage if that happened and he was ineffective!

Well, Grant Agbo from McClure was hanging around unsigned forever and ended up going to Truman. At 6'5", he's actually taller than Dobbs. If we are willing to take a physically mature kid at 6'5" to 6'6" who can finish around the basket with authority, I really think someone like that should be available. This late in the recruiting cycle, are we really going to come with a 6'8" kid who can finish? If we don't take a shorter but physically stout kid, I can only see 2 other options: (a) a European in the Izik mold or (B) a 6'8" lanky kid who can shoot but gets pushed around on the low block--ala Mike Kalicak from DeSmet (2004 grad). Might either Agbo or Kalicak have been more useful to us that Meyer? Moot question at this point.

Point about Bonner. I would not ever have described him as a slasher despite the 6'7" frame. I think he only played 2 years of HS ball at Vashon and came in extremely raw. His first year, it was pretty much a dunk or nothing ... and that dunk had to come with no more than 2 dribbles. Each year the skill set improved but at SLU he never really developed the ability to put the ball on the floor. AB was a beast on the boards though. He lead the nation in rebound for both his junior and senior years I believe.

BTW, missed the Truman State exhibition game and was wondering how Agbo did against us. Just checked the box--1-6 with 0 rebounds in 26 minutes.

SIU Carbondale recently kicked our butts with players (other than Matt Shaw) who SLU did not consider worthy of recruiting.

Other ranked teams don't necessarily have the tallest players, but what they do have is players who play with intensity and who have the skills to make baskets when they have to. Ranked teams also have multiple players on the floor at any given time who can score - something we had at the peak of Spoonball but not any time since.