Disgust with Voyukas and Husak

It's a reasonable assumption to make that Ian Voyukas, though "wonderful in practice," according to my student-manager friends, is the worst basketball player not only in Greek-land, but America. I mean, I could grab a guy at Simon Rec to beat him off the dribble and score on him. A guy who's 5'11 and only has three fingers on his shooting hand. Ian has no inside presence on O or D. Cincy's inside guys threw him around like a $10 *****. He can't get back on the breakaways because he has tree-trunk legs and not a spec of athletic ability. Sure, he can make a free throw or two, but Soderberg needs to realize that this foreign investment has cost us at both ends of the court. Now Ohanon is at least a "powerful," as mediocre C-USA PF's go, presence; he made some impressive moves against Cincy and UNCC. When I watch Husak play, it seems that he's going to cry everytime another player bumps into him. I've seen better screens at a window sale. Husak couldn't pick a lock. He might be 800 feet tall, but the last time I checked, George Murhesan isn't playing in the NBA and Manute Bol is dead. Soderberg needs to realize that we can't make it on height alone, but we need guys like Newbourne, guys who can bang it out for 36-40 minutes. Anyone but Voyukas, Dear God, anyone but Voyukas.

"Ian, you're fired."

-Donald Trump

That was a very insightful post ... you did well.

Of course almost anyone 5'11" with reasonable athletic ability could beat Bryce or Ian off the dribble ... that may be why Brad doesn't have them guarding guards at the top of the key.

Izik is a 25 or 26 year old Sr ... who was less effective in his sophmore year than Ian is this year ...

I don't think Bryce is aspiring to be a locksmith or a safe cracker so I'm not sure what his lock picking ability has to do with anything.

I don't even know you but I'd wager on either Ian or Bryce against you in a game of 1 on 1. See if you can set something up ... I'm a little short on funds this month.

Again ... very good post though.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Webster

Met-a-phor; Noun, A figure of speech in which one object is likened to another by speaking of it as if it were that other, as in "Bryce Husak couldn't pick a lock."

Also, a guy who's 800 feet tall like Husak should be able to at least get a hand on a shot from a 5'11 guy in the rec. I have a bum ankle right now, so when I'm all rested up, I'll call Ian in for some Grecian formula.

Your post prompted me to check the stats. I looked at blocked shots on the Billiken team stats page. Below are the stats for this season for those players with more than one blocked shot. The stats are calculated by me and listed as blocked shots/40 minutes. If there are any mistakes in the math, they are mine.

BH 2.5

IV 1.2

DP .52

TF .48

DB .3

VN .29

IO .2

My take on these stats is that in this one category of defensive prowess, the two players you single out are leading the team far and away over the rest of the team. Far better than the other two 'bigs', IO and TF. Clearly shot blocking is not the only yardstick of defensive ability, but one that is quantifiable.

For comparison, I went through career stats as best I could for SLU. Here are some representative statistics for career blocked shot leaders for the Bills.

Melvin Robinson, '91 3.3

Anthony Bonner, '89 1.1

Abdur Rahiin Al Matiim, '84 2.7

Chris Heinrich, '00 1.6

Matt Baniak, '00 1.6

The stats page does not list Al Matiin's stats for '85, the year he had 46 total blocks. The year stats page does not list blocked shots for '01. There are no stats listed as far back as '80, Kelvin Henderson's best year, with 68 blocked shots.

mhg

hello everyone, i am new to the board

i have been reading the board for 5 years now and i must say im disgusted about what i just read, which made me make my first post.

bobby, i will take ur points one by one and hopefully by the end u will understand that u have made a mistake

u said he was the worst player not only in greek land.... blah blah

well, truthfully, r u on crack or something? does any one remember why he left the previous summer? obviously bobby, u dont, he was in the under-21 national team.ring any bell? Quite an achievment for the worst player in greece and america!

and that comment about 5'11 guards passing him... have u realised he is a 6'10-11 sophmore center? my point is that why should he be guarding players a foot shorter than him... plz think before u write

i know it must be hard for u to accept this, but bryce is a FRESHMAN... do i have to explain to u what the exact role of a 7'0 center freshman's job is? i dont think i have to.

back to vouyukas, if u havnt been looking at statistics and not only listening to ur student manager friends, then u would see that he has been helping the bills a lot. also, ofcourse basketball is not just ur own statistics but ur opponents too... if u remember, or im certain that u will probably be reading this for the first time... iti, a player that withdrew his name from the draft at the last second was held to 2 points...hmmm i wonder who caused that

and to even read that someone was even considering what bobby said disgusts me

later

It takes an entire board to raise the village idiot, when he isn't busy peeing on himself(metaphorically speaking.)

Many graduates of Peoria Notre Dame have learned to express themselves with decorum when they write for public consumption, but Bobby is still mastering the nuance of writing without preening.

ian indeed gave us hope tonite for that future we keep hearing about. but anyone else screaming for him to dunk it a few times tonite when he was under the basket?

Welcome to the board, U're right, post was totally crazy. I wish I had read this earlier, u can look at this thread. I said at the beginning that I hear Ian could start over Tom, that Ian was very good, I"m finally glad to see he's proving it. He's only a sophomore, imagine what he'll be as a senior. I would be careful the words we write, u can take them back later. I wouldn't agree with this post at all. Or the metaphoric statements made either.