Bonner on 1380 this morning.

TheBand

Denny,

I talk to young inner city kids all the time ... they know who Bonner is and everyone loves him ... I can talk about Billiken basketball with people ... nothing, but if I bring up AB ... everyone has something good to say.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

If "big name" assistants are the answer.....why not have three of them? I wonder if Gonzaga or St. Joes or Xavier or Creighton (all highly successful Jesuit schools) have former players as "big name" assistants. I don't know, just wondering how those schools staffs are built.

I believe AB could do SLU more good, and hundreds of kids more good, following Coach Irons at Vashon, and coaching with the St. Louis Eagles AAU team in the Summer.

Leave Irons out of it - he won't stop a kid from coming to SLU if the kid wants to come, Polk and Kern as examples. If AB wants 6 figures to coach at SLU but is also willing to take a high school gig - he is in for a rude awakening. High school coaches do not make 6 figures - and they have to teach all day and then coach. Not knowing AB's situation, it is hard to know what he really wants or needs. He would be a great asset to the program if it could be worked out.

I talk to young inner city kids all the time ... they know

who Bonner is and everyone loves him ... I can talk about

Billiken basketball with people ... nothing, but if I bring

up AB ... everyone has something good to say.

I think that is due in large part to the Anthony Bonner League. All the top kids in Metro-St Louis compete in that league, I can only see positives in relation to AB being involved with SLU.

I agree ... most probably don't know that he played at SLU ... or much about SLU basketball ... but as I said, they know AB and that he played in the NBA ... and I also think that is due to the summer league ... and just the way he is so accessible to everyone. Even if they don't know him they know the league and if it is named after him, he is somebody

I spoke with Bonner after last nights game. I said something like I hope we can get your to work with our big guys. He said hopefully next year. To respond to the backward fellow's question a lot of high profile schools like Duke use former players as assistant coaches. As long as he wants to put in the work I think Bonner would be a natural.

Why do you pretend you are "in the know" ... I always wonder why some of you guys who post on here as if you are on the inside ... or have been on the inside ... don't just come out with who you are. Your username suggests you are Doug Woolard and you have insinuated you were on the inside previously ... but anyone who really was ... would not come on here and admit that they and others committ minor violations knowingly all the time ...

Save it ... I don't think anyone is impressed.

I was aware that Duke had Tommy A, Quin, Wojo, etc., as past and present assistants at Duke. I was just thinking of other comparable Jesuit schools.

Hey, if (1) Soderberg wants Bonner on his staff someday and (2) if Bonner wants the college coaching life .......great!

My stomach gets a little nervous when I hear BillikenCharlie say something to the effect that "some alumni want to bring in a big name recruiting assistant"! Soderberg needs help with the fund raising, but not with making personnel appointments.

Two things - first if Brad resists hiring AB - not saying his is or would - then it might cause him to loose favor in the area for local recruits - just a thought. Second, I have donated to the program and the arena fund in the past but right now, there does not seem to be an overall direction on the project - I know Cherly is working on one since the one Woolard had was a bust and I think I read she was going to the Board of Directors of SLU to share it in Feb. sometime. Once we know what is happening, I as well as others can and will start donating again.

billiken charlie - what exactly is a "big name" assistant. please name one for me besides some of the duke assistants. that is kind of a ridiculous statement that maybe only makes sense when you're riding a shuttle to the game and have already kicked back some brew-has. please, also let us know who you're strong alumni connection is with. you've been referring to this for some time now and its obvious you're waiting to drop a name.

btw, i think our current assistants are doing a fine job - liddell lisch and polk will be a great trio - better than we've had in years. the past few classes have been tough, but i don't think any blame can be placed on assistants. the problem has come from going after kids who can't get in and then scrambling last minute. can blame brad for taking the risk or the NCAA for handcuffing a good school.

actually, other than duke, i dont know off the top of my head any school that regularly uses alum and big names for their assistants.

not saying the following pertains to anthony bonner. and definitely not saying i dont want anthony bonner as an assistant, but think about the road trips, the hours, the scenarios that an assistant puts themselves through. now if you have made millions playing pro and european basketball, does it all seem worth it? yet you have some struggling assistant that played a support role in college if he played at all, and came through the ranks inching his way to the top and earning his promotions just dying for a chance. most of the assistants fall under that category not the fancy suits and fast cars scenario.

as to making a splash for the benefit of the recruits, dont forget that summer basketball has changed everything. the top recruits have been wined, dined, gifted so much, they wouldnt care if a bit if a former pro player came up and stuck out his hand. in fact, they would probably be more apt to disrespect the legend than be in awe. i remember drexler being asked a similar question one time about his fame making a difference. he said something to the effect most of the recruits think they can beat me in one on one, they dont care who i am.

In response to Billiken Roy, maybe AB would be a "midwest" recruiter.

In response to other posts. I would not consider anthony beane a big name assistant.

You're all going to hate this, but I would consider Mizzou having, is it 3 former D1 head coaches, having "big name" assistants. Cameron Dollar, a player that westcoast kids can identify with, is a "big name" assistant for washington. KU has "big name" assistants.

I don't feel that area highschool players can relate or would be more intrigued by our current assistants/recruiters than they would with Bonner. If Bonner was signed by USC as an assistant that wouldn't be a "big name" for them. But if he was an assistant for SLU that would be a big name to the talent here.

Does that make sense?

If one of the current assistants had to be pushed out to make room for AB, that would be a tough thing to do to someone. Would he be willing to take the graduate assistant slot until a full assistant position opens up? If so, it's a no brainer.

Here's the deal. Perception is reality not only in college basketball but, sadely, in much of life. AB adds credibility to Brad and the program. Right now, the Bills have really not done much. When was the last time we went to the NCAA? I'm not faulting Brad here (just being real). As a for instance, take AB going onto to local radio to tell the meat heads that Brad is a great coach, give him time and he'll turn it around. The meat heads nod in agreement and say "yes AB". What is our most pressing need right now? A big who can actually score! Having AB on the staff immediately raises our chances in landing bigs locally and regionally. It's still Brad's show. AB is an asset to help the overall program. Having AB would also help energize the alumni. Alumni confidence and enthusiasm for the program is flagging at very critical juncture. I only see pluses. What exactly are the negatives?