Phillips or Owens?

Tonka

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but who do you guys prefer announcing at the games, Guy Phillips or Mike Owens.

Guy Phillips always gets on my nerves and I can do without his little comments from time to time. I think he thinks he is funnier than he is. I hear Mike Owens is a wonderful guy. I do like Guy Phillips in the fact that he is louder than Mike, so I'd have to go with Guy. Just curious for your thoughts?

Definitely Owens. While Guy probably has a slightly better voice for announcing, I cannot stand his little jokes and attempts to be funny. Like you said, he thinks he's a lot funnier than he actually is. Just tell us who scored, who is coming into the game, and who the foul is on. Mike does that without all the other b.s., so I would love to see him as our full-time announcer.

Owens definetely.

He used to be the regular announcer for a long time. In fact I don't remember anyone else doing it since I was able to pay attention in the late eighties. Guy Phillips is just horrible, I just don't like his style. If Owens for some reason cannot do it anymore I would suggest getting somone totally new.

nice Torch!

I have come to learn one thing, when somebody posts something about grammar, spelling, etc - they have nothing else to add.

I'm surprised at all the Mike Owens fans. That's good to hear. If we get rid of Guy and Mike can only fill in, I'd be happy to do the games. Who do I talk to about that?????

As a Band member, Owens speaks way too slow, and as a result we get screwed out of time to play our songs.

Phillips may be annoying, but at least he speaks at a faster pace, which allows to play more songs.

As a band member, I'd choose Guy. If I was sitting in the regular seats either with fellow students or with my parents, I'd choose Owens.

Mike only does a couple games a year so his timing may be a bit off, but he has a great voice, absolutely loves the Billikens, and is a very funny guy. I would be that after a few games that sense of humor would come out.

Anyway, I'm biased because I know Mike, but I am solidly in his corner as is my wife and college student son.

Why doens't Owens do the announcing all the time like he used to? Is it his choice or was he pushed aside for Guy. If it is the latter add that one to the list of dumb moves Woolard has made.

Give Owens a break, he only does games a couple times a year. He is not familiar with annoucing the different contests and so forth during the game. Guy does the stuff all the time and messes up frequently.

When Owens was announcing consistently he was very good, no nonsense and hardly ever made mistakes or gaffes.

stchuck, i can assure you that mike has forgotten 100x more than guy phillips knows about the billikens. mike may have had some slipups, but my gosh, he hasnt been allowed to be the regular announcer for about 10 years now. if mike was given the job full time again, i can assure you he would be his old wonderful self, but he rarely knows in advance when guy isnt coming and just sits down and does it. it is amazing there isnt more mistakes.

no question about it, mike owens should be our announcer. however, it is my understanding that guy is a favorite of a favorite booster, so we need to deal with it. he isnt going away unless guy wants to go away.

I personally think both are horrendous from the last 4 yrs I have been attending...Guy's cocky attitude is tiresome but he has a better voice than Owens...Owens is way to slow and he announces the player's name after he makes a free throw and is way to slow imo very irritating, I only want to hear the PA when a basket is made, a foul is committed, the lineups are read, or when the ball goes out of bounds and the possession is in doubt, and for our wonderful sponsers...to his credit he apparently has very litte time preparing for the game..and I never heard him announce back when he was the only one doing it.

My proposal is to let a SLU student do the announcing...one it would involve the student body, two the college basketball experience is about the student body anyway...and third this student would most certainly have enthusiasm for the Billikens and bring energy to the game.

i was at the girls volleyball game the other nite and remember thinking how good of a job the young man doing the pa was doing. i believe our own taj is an ex-student pa master.