Other Conference Tournaments

MEAC Tourney with some late game drama. Norfolk State up 4 with :25 to go. Howard hits a three with :13 to go, then Norfolk throws away the inbounds pass. Howard shooting 2 with 6 seconds to go. Makes both... and Norfolk misses a contested layup at the buzzer.

I just flipped it to the Iona-Marist MAAC final and the first thing I see is Jean-Louis from Iona racing down the court for a slam dunk. I think I just experienced PTSD. Pitino to the dance with a 27-7 record.

10 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

The Big East TV contract is coming up, they absolutely need to look at their bad tv numbers this year and ask some questions. Is Fox a good place for them? What else can they do (expand?) to improve? Do they need to test getting into streaming? One interesting question, did the matchup of two smaller markets (Marquette-Milwaukee vs Xavier-Cincinnati) this year drive down numbers instead of a big market team being in the finals last year (Villanova-Philadelphia)?  If they look in depth at the numbers and see that, then the answer for the Bid East might be that in order to maximize their chances of getting a big city in the finals, don’t add any more small market Midwest teams (Example-SLU), add instead a college in a big market (Iona-NYC). Harsh for us, but in order for SLU to get in the Big East we must seem desirable to the Big East. Their numbers from this year’s tournament championship might work against us if they are looking to expand.

1 hour ago, Brighton said:

SLU needs to worry about not dropping down a division or two before they ever begin to entertain the thought of a Big East invite. Glad I didn't miss much of this shitfest of a season.

Agreed. I go back and forth on BE or D3.  

I think there’s more to it than simply saying two Midwest teams. 

Day/Time/Channel factors. Playing on Selection Sunday, on the NCAA Tourney/Selection show network (CBS) at 1pm Eastern, in a less competitive window, is a factor.

I believe the A10 has had a higher rating in its final 4 of the past 6 years. That would be at odds with East Coast. teams, big market teams, big brand teams because 1) That’s a whole lotta Jay Wright/Villanova, and 2) Ratings were down two years ago when Georgetown won it. 

I know the previous goal for next Big East deal would be to roughly double the money from $40 to $80 million. 100% of their league games are televised via Fox, FS1, FS2, or CBS. 

Then other things such as close game vs blowout, start time vs competition etc…and so forth. 

Attendance interest wasn’t an issue, as every game sold out with high demand, including with Midwest teams. 

13 hours ago, courtside said:

I think there’s more to it than simply saying two Midwest teams. 

Day/Time/Channel factors. Playing on Selection Sunday, on the NCAA Tourney/Selection show network (CBS) at 1pm Eastern, in a less competitive window, is a factor.

I believe the A10 has had a higher rating in its final 4 of the past 6 years. That would be at odds with East Coast. teams, big market teams, big brand teams because 1) That’s a whole lotta Jay Wright/Villanova, and 2) Ratings were down two years ago when Georgetown won it. 

I know the previous goal for next Big East deal would be to roughly double the money from $40 to $80 million. 100% of their league games are televised via Fox, FS1, FS2, or CBS. 

Then other things such as close game vs blowout, start time vs competition etc…and so forth. 

Attendance interest wasn’t an issue, as every game sold out with high demand, including with Midwest teams. 

Just to finish up, A10 had 170k for USA Network tourney games while Big East Tourney had 608k for FS1. 

Having the A10 Championship Game on Selection Sunday, on the NCAA Tourney/ Selection Show Channel, with limited competition, has been a ratings success for the A10. And the number was even down slightly this year compared to last year.