Jordan Nesbitt enters the NBA draft

wgstl

20 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I would be happy to have JNez come back, but I would not be heartbroken about him leaving either.  He showed flashes of brilliance and flashes of being a train wreck also. I will take the potential he has and see what happens, but he has to be willing to be patient and let his game develop.  If he is not willing to be patient, then his future on all on his own shoulders, and, frankly, I doubt he will make it to the NBA.

If I had a son who had NBA potential, which I don't, and he asked me what skills do I need to have to make it to the NBA, I would tell him shooting and defense.  There are obviously other factors involved, but those are the two biggest in my opinion.  JNez has the ability to excel at both shooting and defense, but those two attributes disappeared for him way, way to often last season.  If he comes back, or transfers, he needs to become far more consistent with his shooting and defense to turn any heads in the NBA.  I do not think his fantastic athleticism gets him anywhere yet.

you've mentioned nesbitt's defense before.   i didnt see that.   imo he hustled about the most on the team.   most games he was assigned the top guard of the other team to guard.   and he had the third most steals on the team.   defense wasnt his shortcoming compared to the rest of the team imo.  

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

you've mentioned nesbitt's defense before.   i didnt see that.   imo he hustled about the most on the team.   most games he was assigned the top guard of the other team to guard.   and he had the third most steals on the team.   defense wasnt his shortcoming compared to the rest of the team imo.  

I agree with you that hustle and intensity were not a problem for him on defense.  His shortfalls on defense were being out of position at times and over pursuit.  At times on defense he would overcommit to the offensive player's move or overcommit to a shot fake.  Other times, like the end of the Bonaventure A-10 tournament game, he would flake out and just forget to rebound.

Again, these are things freshmen do that improve over time with experience.  That is why I was saying that he has NBA athleticism, but not NBA results just yet.