MU Troubles

BillsWin

People are calling this a slap on the wrist. I think it's fairly harsh. Having 2 scholarships taken away for 2 years and not being able to recruit on the road if fairly severe. I'm sure the NCAA felt they were quilty but didn't have the proof to ban them from post season play. I think they might have a hard time making the tourney this year anyway. Kleiza must learn to play without fouling or they will have no inside game.

the ncaa release is amazing. it is far more than i even imagined as to some of the blatant cheating that they did.

i especially surprised by the fact that the illegal phone calls to existing college players on other teams were documented for four years and involved more than just the conley.

second, i am amazed at the level that the school went with clemons after his arrest. why would they do that to that degree? keep ricky quiet possibly by befriending him?

last, the degree they went to even get ricky was unbelievable for a player of his skills. one would have to wonder if his recruitment was just the instance they were caught. otherwise, again, it makes no sense.

was dragging this out for an entire year which contributed at least some part to Tyler going to UNC. Right now mizzou's 2005 recruiting class is poor and undoubtedly having potential probation hanging over their heads is a part of the reason.

Tigerboard where that he might walk-on for his first year. But that was before they lost the 2nd scholarship for next year.

I know they were also close to a committment from a pretty good player but the type that would have a tough time qualifying.

If I were a Mizzou fan, I'd have a big bone to pick with Quin Snyder after his press conference performance yesterday. Quin's response to the 12-month ban on recruiting: No big deal. "Every day that the staff and I don't spend on the road recruiting, that's another day we can spend working with the team and teaching them how to play basketball," he said...or words to that effect.

This is a man seriously in denial. He wants believe that he's not really being punished.... that he hasn't done anything wrong...and -- most incredibly -- that he knows how to teach basketball.

If the MU Athletic Department had a shred of decency left, they would have cashiered him on the spot. There's only one response possible when you've just gotten your team put on probation: "I'm sorry. I was wrong. And it'll never happen again."

but it is ok to continue to deny he did anything wrong when the evidence is amazing? no scrivener is right. if he wanted to gain any respect back he needed to come clean instead of "so what".

Quin suggested that not being able to be on the recruiting road will give the Missouri staff more time in Columbia to spend with the players. I believe the NCAA still has a rule limiting the amount of player-coach time to 20(?) hours a week during the season and when school is in session.

So recruiting travel or no-travel, you still have a limited number of player-coach time.....assuming a coach is following the NCAA rule!

did he admit he knowingly broke the rules? if not, then he more or less said, "so what".

btw, tseugnekillib is right. that is why the billikens always take a day off each week because there is limited time that can be spent with the players per the ncaa. so unless $nyder is telepathically working with those players, his statement is b.s.

i dont recall $nyder taking ownership to the problem. he claimed shoddy record keeping and mistakes by assistants that did things without his knowledge. since the report details illegal calls, visits, meals, lodgings, gifts and such going back to 1999, if he truly didnt know and/or it was shoddy bookeeping, he deserves to be fired for being so stupid for so long.